CSB random treasure

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

CSB random treasure

Post by Lunever »

Can anyone explain in detail how the random treasure in CSB works. In detail here means more detail than just "Well, there are some gigglers running around through some teleporters and thus the treasure is spread through the dungeon." What I'd like to know are the places where that random treasure can possibly appear.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Very interesting question. I was wondering about that myself for a while, starting with the objects in the "supplies for the quick" area. Maybe there is an algorithm or formula someone has discovered already in the code? For example, George might know about that, don't you think?

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, here's a list of all the places where stuff can appear in FTL CSB. You should be aware that this is not true for RTC CSB because the gigglers are free to roam where they please so most of this stuff could end up absolutely anywhere.... some extra stuff would need to be added to the dungeon to better simulate FTL CSB.

Supplies for the Quick, pillar with four alcoves (17,27,4)
Supplies for the Quick, behind imaginary wall (22,25,4)
Pillar with alcoves below the Corbum alcoves (31,23,2)
Hidden pillar with alcoves that connects four ways (16,26,6)
Pillar with alcoves that connects four ways on top level (23,17,0)
Hidden four ways pillar with alcoves at (9,21,1)
Hidden four ways pillar with alcoves at (16,30,3)

On the floor in the Maze (33,33,0)
On the floor in the Maze (38,31,0)
In Purgatory (3,16,5)
In the Dragon lair on Ku in the Basement (14,32,9)
In the middle of No Fireballs on Ku (20,31,8)
In the teleporter maze on Dain after Oitus (9,7,7) (giggler remains alive)
After the screamer harvest (21,33,7) (giggler remains alive)
In the Imaginary halls on Ros (19,4,6)
Behind the Gold Lock door on DDD Ros (12,8,2) (the one that drops you in Death Row if you use lockpicks)
Behind the gold lock door on ROS near the Skeleton Trap (23,21,3)
In the secret room in the Couatl Chamber (17,10,5)
At the Mummy Duck (30,12,8)
Behind the Musical Lock in the Maze (43,40,0)
Behind the door at the bottom of the stairs on Ku (9,37,9)
Just lying on the floor in DDD (14,20,2)

Most of the really good stuff ends up in alcoves...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

That is valuable information, Gambit - thanks! Were did you get/extract it from? Do George (Gilbert) and Paul (Stevens) know about this difference in comparison to the original CSB?

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's simple, I just followed the teleporter targets using DMute. There's no way of predicting exactly WHICH traesures will end up where, but there are two distinct giggler areas on level 8 where you can follow the teleporter paths for yourself....

The large area contains gigglers that get teleported to the places in the second block of info above. If gigglers aren't allowed on the level they are teleported to, they die and leave behind the treasure they were carrying. The gigglers in this area carry stuff like keys and potions, including the skeleton key and the lockpicks. They also control an object shooter that has many interesting objects including one pair of speed boots and chests containing coins and bombs.

The gigglers in the smaller area run around their room until a pit randomly opens beneath them. When they fall to the level below they die, and the objects they were carrying are teleported to the places noted in the first block of info above. These gigglers are carrying things like the Ra and Dragon armour and some good weapons.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL, damn, you beat me too it Gambit!

Eh, i'm not wastign this hard work, here's the post I prepared : )

In general, the randomiser works like this:

You have the main giggler room bottom left (the one that does the work).
You have the object launcher bottom middle with teleporters infront of it
You have the eight-pit room with gigglers in it

The way DM works, the gigglers won't start moving until you are on the junction of ways level - so the random objects aren't placed at the beginning of the game

The eight gigglers will then start moving around. The teleporters in the middle of the room merely jumble them up, and also block them from leavign the right hand side, so the randomising will happen faster
So, eventually the gigglers will make their way to the teleporter squares on the right.

All pads on the teleporter square only activate once - so only one giggler will activate them and be teleported.
For the pads, what happens is:
a) A pad opens the teleporter on that square, teleporting the giggler.
b) Afetr a brief delay a pad closes that teleporter
c) A pad opens on of the pits in the eight-pit room
d) A pad opens one of the teleporters in the launcher corridor (doesn't happen with the top-most teleport square, as the last teleporter in the launcher corridor is always on)
e) A pad fires the object launcher
f) A pad, after a brief delay, closes the launhcer corridor teleporter

So in each case, a giggler is teleported to another level
A object is fired at a teleporter
A pit is opened up, possibly under a giggler

If a giggler in the pit room drops down, it dies in the floor below, releasing its objects. So there are eight destinations, and six lots of objects

Main room destinations: (top - bottom)
1. 16,19,0
2. 21,17,0
3. 3,16,5
4. 8,21,9
5. 15,20,8
6. 4,2,7 (same level!)
7. 16,28,7 (to join the other gigglers in the muncher pit rooms)
8. 14,0,6

Pit room destinations: (left - right, top - bottom)
1. 6,3,0 (stocks the four alcoves)
2. 13,17,4 (hidden area in supplies for the quick)
3. 24,18,2 (stocks the alcoves under the corbum pillar)
4. 8,19,4 (the main supplies for the quick alcoves)
5. 2,14,1
6. 24,18,2 (same as 3!)
7. 11,24,3
8. 13,22,6

Launcher corridor destinations: (Top - bottom)
1. 5,3,2
2. 20,13,3
3. 17,10,5
4. 25,1,8
5. Dunno if this is a mistake, but it seems to be put into the giggler room, never to be recovered!
6. 26,26,0
7. 3,26,9
8. 7,15,2 (surprised this one works, i've seen fireballs etc skip teleporters infront of launchers!)

Sorry, can't remember which levels do and don't support gigglers, but you get the idea - if a giggler is supported, it runs aroudn free, if not then it does and its items are left lying around. I have a sneaking suspicion that the original gigglers all go to supported levels...i could be wrong, so I am assuming some die somewhere...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Thanx all of you!

So to make RTC emulate FTL-CSB a bit closer, wouldn't it be better to add giggler-triggered damage tiles to their destinations ot something similar?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Can you copy that to RTC suggestions? Somehow it's a strange issue, since the vexirk part seems to be some kind of "work-around" in the original (for game-testing?), since that way you can get another master key... but I'd still opt for it to be in RTC as well...

Regards, PitD