Save game

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ved
Neophyte

Save game

Post by Ved »

Im new here so hello everyone. I start to play DM again (I play it long long time ago when I was a little boy) so I get DOS emulator, do everything what it wants and start to enjoy the game. After few hours of great fun (I feel like a little boy again to be honest ;p) i finish mine game, save it one more time and shut down it. Next day I was really confused cause mine save game state didnt work! It was okay day before i load it many times and now it was no more avalaible.
The problem is that i dont know is there any load option couse only way I know is to kill all team members and then I get load window :))) I dont know is there any other option to load game ;/ I push all keyboard buttons and no load panel didnt show his face.

So I create new one member team and kill him just next corner but game act like there is no save game file and return to dos;/
It seems like game accepts mine save game file until I shut it. After new game start save game dont work any more.

Is anyone got answer what is wrong?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Save game

Post by beowuuf »

So pressing 'resume' at the main window doens't load your saved game? Make sure you have a dmsave.dat file in the DM folder which is your saved game from last time.

The new game would have ended because there is no autosave, so if you didn't save the one character game (and luckily you didn't) there would be nothing to restore from
Ved
Neophyte

Post by Ved »

Thx a lot mate! It was problem with mine save game file. Dont know why but file didnt work at all after restart DM. I could play it only in one session. After close DM and restart, it act like there is no save game. I download new DM client from other website and its ok.
My resume didnt work at all - thats why i try to load game by killing new 1 man party :)
Last question: is there any way to load game after 1 member dies or only kill the rest of party and wait to load window?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Last question: is there any way to load game after 1 member dies ?
Do not save, it is too late.
The only thing you can do is reloading a game you had saved before 1 member died.
Quit.
Restart.
Resume.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, the only way to load a game when you're already playing is to kill everyone and load your game from there, or to quit and click the "Resume" button at the dungeon doors.
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Ved wrote:Last question: is there any way to load game after 1 member dies or only kill the rest of party and wait to load window?
Other then the 2 suggestions above, the only other option I can think of is take the character's bones to the nearest alter of Rebearth/alter of Vi and put the bones in the alter, and the dead character is resurrected. Which one I use depends on what's easier to do, if I'm near an alter, I just grab the character's bones and use the alter, if I'm not, and I saved the game recently, then I either quit and reload to suicide and reload, whichever is faster at the time.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

From The Dungeon Master Encyclopedia http://dmweb.free.fr/

FAQ What can I do when one of my champions is dead?
Mon, 2005-10-24 01:00 — ChristopheF

When a champion in your party is dead, you cannot drop him and replace him by another one. You can resurrect a champion if you take his bones and put them on the nearest Vi Altar. However, each resurrection will decrease a champion's maximum Health points by 1, so you might prefer to load your last saved game.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman