DM 2 Amiga graphics

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Joramun
Mon Master

DM 2 Amiga graphics

Post by Joramun »

Hello everyone,

I have a big problem for which I need help for:

I have a bundle of Amiga DM2 Graphics, which are all in an indexed color palette.

In order to properly use them (in DSB), I need to:
1) convert them to RGB
2) replace the background by the shiniest pink color
3) double their resolution

I'm talking about 3000 bitmaps !

I have no idea how to do that efficiently.

Why do I want to do that:
- DM2 Amiga graphics are much more DM-style than DM2 PC graphics, and IMHO, they are way better.
- They are not "Comic styled" and have a nice color palette which fits well with other DM graphics.
- DSB is simply the best DM clone ever.
What Is Your Quest ?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: DM 2 Amiga graphics

Post by ChristopheF »

http://www.imagemagick.org/
This is a free set of command line tools that you can use for batch processing images. There are LOTS of command line options.
Your only difficulty will be to find the commands and parameters that you need.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I can second the imagemagick library suggestion - the forums were helpful with my queries and the app saved my bacon at work!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm pretty sure I already did #1 and #3 in the Zip file in the custom dungeon resources thread?
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/cus ... iga-x2.zip
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Gambit37 wrote:I'm pretty sure I already did #1 and #3 in the Zip file in the custom dungeon resources thread?
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/cus ... iga-x2.zip
Gambit, your files are doubled (ok) in pgn (so indexed, not full rgb), and do not have purple background.
Joramun, you need a #FF00FF background right?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Why do they need to be made true colour anyway? They don't. If they are being used in DSB, then keep them indexed, the file sizes are much smaller. The engine converts to true-colour internally. And DSB can use any PNG with transparency (1bit or 8bit), so you don't need to change the background colour to pink, just set it to transparent in your image program and it will work fine in DSB.

If you want, I'll update the ZIP so that the images are transparent. The other changes don't need to be made.

EDIT: Looking at my source DM2 doubled images, most of them already have their 1-bit transparency set. All monsters, items, etc, should therefore already work fine in DSB.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Gambit, I like to be pragmatic and I tested with a few images from your packages into DSB (0.47). It appears to me those PNG came with a black background within the game with no transparency. Even changing it to pink wasn't making it transparent. I had to save it to BMP with pink to have it work correctly (at least for some creatures).

Joramun, since you don't want the cartoon creatures, I suggest you to use the PC-9821 graphics.dat (or even beta) over the Amiga one, since it *has* some cartoon creatures.
Specially, you will have to change:
Vexirk King
Dark Vexirk
Skeleton
Axeman
Axeman Thief
Ghost
Wolf

That's it.
- DSB is simply the best DM clone ever.
I thought it was some kind of versicle to summon Sophia ...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, sorry. I'm clearly making assumptions. RTC handles 1bit and 8bit transparency no-problem, using the LIBPNG library. Since DSB also uses the same library, I assumed it would work the same way, but maybe Sophia hasn't implemented full support for all transparent types?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Sphenx, I can't find any resource on the DM2 version you're talking about. I'm interested though.

Gambit, your ressource are ok. I'll try the transparency, and if it doesn't work, I'll use image magick to correct that.
What Is Your Quest ?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Just to point on it, the Irfan viewer can batch convert too!