Games that changed your life

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Games that changed your life

Post by Trantor »

Probably every member has played dozens, if not hundreds of games in his/her life. To, playing games was always a hobby, something to have fun with in my spare time. I've played lots of good games, many bad ones and a huge quantitiy of mediocre ones. But there are a few games that were special, that were more than just a game. They sucked me in and occupied me completely. These are the games I want to talk about.

Of course, the first game that comes to mind is Dungeon Master. It must have been February or March 1991. I was 12, got an Amiga for Christmas 1990 and did little else than play games on it. Several months before, I started reading a gaming magazine (the PowerPlay of course, for those Germans out there), and it spoke of that brilliant game Dungeon Master from time to time. Then, one day, a guy from school told me he actually had that game. I -ahem- borrowed it from him, and when I entered that dungeon, I set in awe in front of the screen. Incredible graphics, completely playable with that weird mouse-thing (hey, I was only used to joysticks from my C64!), and completely in German! I saw the Hall of Champions, picked the first four characters I came across and eventually found the entrance to the real dungeon. The game felt incredibly complex from the get-go, but somehow, everything about it was so intuitive, everything I did felt "right" in some way. When I descended the stairs, I trembled with fear. Simply putting a torch in an empty hand to get light was such a wonderful, clean, easy concept, it was incredible! Then, I saw the mummy behind the portcullis. My heartbeat went faster. After several moments of mental preparation, I opened the door and tried to kill the mummy; I was successful, but not before the mummy took down two of my heroes. Shortly after, my first experience ended due to time constraints, but I did little else than play DM for the next weeks. Those very first moments will always be in my heart, and I felt it. I instantly realized that this game was special, that this was something I've never seen before, a milestone in gaming and something I would always remember.

I guess most of us have a similar story to share about DM; so what about other games that evoked the same feeling in me?

The next special game after DM for me was Amberstar, a German RPG made by Thalion, the same company that released Dragonflight two years before. After reading a favourable review of Amberstar in the PowerPlay in the spring of 1992, I bought the game, installed it, created a character and jumped right into the adventure. Wonderful music reached my ears, and a poetic text told me I was standing on the graveyard of Twinlake, in front of my parents' grave, mourning over their death caused by an orc ambush. It was a moment of pure magic, a beautiful, poetic text that touched me in combination with the fantastic music. This mood, this atmosphere struck me completely unprepared. From today's standpoint, Amberstar's interface is a bit tedious, and of course the plot is full of clichés. The game certainly didn't age as well as DM (funnily, both were developed for the ST and ported for the Amiga shortly after). But the music, the sheer size and the great atmospheric texts will always mean something special to me.

By 1994, my interest in games had dwindled. I still played them, but they weren't quite the centre of the galaxy anymore they had been 2 or 3 years before. Then, one of my friends called and said he had Doom. I had read about it, that it was an amazing shooter and very violent, so I was ready to enjoy some splatter-action. What came then was a shock. I couldn't imagine that graphics this awesome were possible. We played with cheats on and just enjoyed seeing the great graphics and blasting everything to bits with unlimited ammo and in godmode. Eventually, we started playing without cheats, and we realized that Doom didn't just look incredible, it played just as well. Fantastic level-design, great monsters and weapons made Doom a one-of-a-kind experience. Later, we discovered the joys of building own maps and playing Deathmatches with friends. The result was that for the next 2 years, I played little else than Doom, and I still consider it unequalled in the first-person shooter genre.

Apart from Doom which became part of my life, games didn't fascinate me as much anymore, though, especially on consoles. As much as I loved my SNES, I couldn't imagine buying another system just for games. When my friend (the very same who introduced me to Doom) bought a PlayStation in 1995, I was curious. We played Ridge Racer, Battle Arena Toshinden and various other games, and while I had fun, I was perfectly sure I didn't want such a console for myself. When my friend showed me some screenshots of an upcoming horror game with zombies and crows, I was looking forward to some more mindless splatter-action, but wasn't terribly excited. One day, he called me and said "I have Resident Evil... you know, that game with the crows." If I wanted to come over and have a look at it? Sure. Half an hour later, I knew I had to have a PlayStation. I didn't care that the dialogue was silly or that the acting in the live-action intro was pretty bad. This was pure cinema. It looked, sounded and felt like watching a horror movie. I couldnt get enough of Resident Evil, I played it over and over and over again. In later years, RE:Code Veronica was the main reason I bought a Sega Dreamcast, and the remake of the first game was the main reason to buy a Gamecube. I regretted neither.

Though my gaming spirit was rekindled with the PlayStation - after all, it had lots of other fantastic games like Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy VII -, I eventually lost interest again around 2001. Whatever game I played, I always had the feeling I had seen and played it all, just with simpler graphics. And though I still have that feeling today and games play a rather small role in my life now, I once again experienced the wonderful feeling of a game completely taking over your mind in early 2005. Capcom had finally released Resident Evil 4. After copying the formula of the first game way too often, my interest in the franchise had become rather low. So I was pleased that Capcom threw everything out of the window for part 4. Gone were the movie-like fixed camera angles, the silly puzzles and the repetitive zombies. Instead, Resident Evil 4 was pure action. I didn't really understand what was going on; the game was so simple, so mindless, but it played so unbelievably well, and the presentation was so incredible, I couldn't stop myself playing. After many years, I felt addicted to a video game again, and I loved every second of it, even though I still don't quite understand what it is that makes the game so fantastic.

So, there you have it. These five games were the ones that had the greatest impact on me the first time I played them, the games that completely blew me away. I'm keeping my hopes up that Resident Evil 5 may be able to do the same thing for me that part 4 did. We shall wait and see; the release date is under two months away!

What about you? Are there games that completely sucked you in, where you knew in the first few moments that this is a game you will fondly remember until you die?

(Oh, and if you read the whole post, congratulations, it's probably one of the longest on the whole forum. :wink:)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I'll agree, that post IS probably one of the longest on the forum :shock:

My memorable gaming experiences started the day, in 1991, when my father brought home a copy of Dungeon Master. I was 6 at the time. I'd watched him play many games on his Amiga, but this one jumped far above the rest. It's great atmosphere, the graphics, and the rather fast loading time... it just stood above everything else. Two or three days later, he went out to a mate's place, and I jumped behind the controls. I, too, picked the first heroes that I came across, and decended the stairs. That mummy didn't make me jump, though. I just threw almost everything I had at him :D The rest a that level however was a different story. Figuring out that solid key was a &^%&! I remember back-tracking several times, scanning the floor very carefully... then I found it! YAY! Soon after I discovered the worms, that was when the fear begun. Many times, I'd heard dad go "Oh, ^%&$! It a pack of worms! I'm toast!". I shared that fear...

A few years later, I got a computer of my own. I became friends with a "computer nerd" (I'm one myself), we got along quite well. He introduced me to Quake 1. Once again, the atmosphere hooked me. Quake was astounding. I couldn't believe how the muzzle-flash lit up the walls around you, how you glowed when you had certain powerups... and how you could sneak up on an enemy, when you've got the ring of invisibility, then put a rocket up his ass. I finished it, finally figuring out how to kill the last guy. It was then that my creative side took over. I got hold of the code behind the scenes, and started modding Quake. I still remember a certain weekend, when I bought a CD, put it on repeat, and coded a basic bot. After two days of solid work, he could kill me pretty damn well! My obsession with games had truly begun.

Then, I met yet another "nerdy" friend. He liked the more traditional Duke-Nukem 3D, and he even had a 4 computer network in his house! This made for many days, after school, playing Duke to the death. I introduced him to Blood (which is Duke with slightly better graphics, and more humorous weapons, comments, and monsters). Blood was my stomping ground, Duke was his. Many afternoons were wasted with us just battling it out. Ahhh, the memories.

More years pass by, and I discovered Half-Life. It knocked my socks off! Skeletal animation! From my Quake modifying days, I knew that models had fixed animations, but Half-Life destroyed this concept. Then came, Counterstrike. My modding side kicked back into gear... PODbot! I, even now, still modify PODbot every so often, trying to make it a better killer (while remaining "human-like").

Well, Trantor, there is my story. And, my post is about as half as long as yours! LOL! :lol: That's some posting effort!

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

My first "large" game was of course DM. I always had a lot of games around since my father sold computers and games, but DM was simply the best by far. I was 6 (maybe 7 ;)), like everybody, when i played it for the first time :D

But there was one game with an even higher impact. After playing Diablo I and the expansion almost until pt. II was released, i played Diablo II even longer. In fact, i didn't play that much, but i also wrote lots of player guides, found out stuff, modded, set up a fanpage and have like 10k posts at the german D2 board, more than half of them posted as moderator. Altogether, i spent more than 5 years more or less intensely with D2.

Taken all four parts together, civilization is one of the games i played the most. Being quite clueless back at civ1, which i played like SimCity, i learned a lot of strategies and finesses over the other parts - and forgot or had to rethink most them ;). I conquer the world once per week at Civ 4/BtS regularly atm. A really complex and huge game.

Another honorable mention is SimCity, i played that and SC2k very often and with joy and it opened me to business simulation. Non-germans might only know a few business games like SC or Transport/xy Tycoon, but there are a lot of german simulations as well, starting from Mad TV/News, Fugger/Gilde, several soccer managers (BM/BMP/BMH or Anstoss - eng. release Kick-Off), etcetc. I played all of them i listed and many more and SimCity started it.

I can't leave out Amberstar, a very fascinating game with a really good story. Might have other weaknesses (character balancing, interface), but a very outstanding game nonetheless. I play it about once a year up to today.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Well I can just tell that DM and clones gave the incipit for the big change in my life.
You know, DM has been my first 'true' RPG and it hooked me to my Amiga more than any other game ever could. It happened in 89 and at this days I still have dreams settled within Lord Chaos' dungeons.
But it did another big thing to me: it opened to my mind the door to Fantasy Roleplaying, at least Videogame driven one.

Well, it happened one day, when I was under army, that a companion asked me: would you like to try roleplaying?
Thanx to my fresh DM memories I boldly answered YES! And then all started.
I became so addicted to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay that I started buying handbooks and gming in my town and finally THAT changed my life as I switched from being a videogaming lone geek to being a videogaming-roleplaying not more alone quasi-geek, leading one step after the other to my wedding.
Don't let a closed door stop you
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

1. Dungeon Master. This was always a fantstic 'Top 5' game, and ground-breaking, and atomosheric, but... It didnt change my life until I registered onto this forum :wink:

2. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's just a free FPS (First Person Shooter) sure, it's showing it's age versus these new ones, but it's so much fun to play with real people, guys & gals that you know and have spent hours with. I'm really bad (as I'm 'old') but it doesn't matter. Teamwork!

3. Any MMORPG. I've come to the conlcusion that if you sit me down with any MMORPG and it has a community around it, then I'd enjoy it! I'm currently hooked up to a free one called Atlantica Online but there are a gazillion out there now for the PC (a concequence of piracy, me thinks?).

X. Others. I've 'relegated' these games to the bottom of the list as they we're captivating, fun and memorable, but never life changing! As you can see, there are two defined epocs that games have participated in my life. Those that are single player and those that interact with others.
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

The first game that really hooked me was EAMON.
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

Gaming in general has been a major influence in the direction of my life. It all stems from an episode from my early childhood. My parents were hanging out with some friends whom had a couple of kids that were around 12 & 13 and their children got stuck with me while they were off doing adult stuff. So I ended up spending a weekend watching a small group of pre and early teenagers playing some strange game called “Dungeons and Dragons” (the original boxed set) and I was completely fascinated by the use of strangely shaped dice, calculations and lead figures set a plastic mat and drawing rooms and corridors. Combine that with the mixture of BS about real life (well kids of the age version of) mixed with playing the game, eating junk-food and “hanging” with older kids…I had a great time.

Of course straight after I nagged my parents until they bought me a copy. Unfortunately none of my stupid friends were interested, they all wanted to do was run around and play outside. So I nagged my parents some more to get me some of the microgames that just coming out at the time. In reality it didn’t take very long to convince some of my friends, but children aren’t known for their patience.

Playing role playing games quickly lead me to reading, which I hadn’t previously been interested in. I started to consume books like wildfire and I’m still a huge reader today. It also led me to an interest in computers as a means to streamline the gameplay and bookkeeping of pencil and paper games. The notion of playing an RPG on a computer hadn’t occurred to me, it simply didn’t seem possible to capture the feel in a program. So when Sinclair released the ZX-81, I was off to nag my parents some more. This led me to programming, which is what I do for a living.

I got a subscription to a ZX-81 user magazine in which one of the issues had the source code for a Rogue like game. It was okay to pass time, but was not the “real thing”.

Then I HAD to have an Apple II and pretty much immediately got a copy of “The Wonderful World of Eamon”. This still wasn’t the real thing to snobbish little mind, but I was completely hooked.

So that little quite weekend for my parents ended up being quite costly and pointed my life in a new direction.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

A fascinatig story, Roquen!

Talking about Eamon somehow (I don't know how...) reminded me one of the games I do love - ZORK (I mean the original text based Zork trilogy). Actually, I got to this game relatively (or very) late - some 13 or 15 years ago.

It was in 1994 or 95 or so when my old good Atari ST definitely collapsed (rest in peace, old lad!) with no Altar of VI in sight. So, realising that Atari had finally and very sadly lost in competition with IBM PC compatibles, I stopped my anti-PC guerilla and bought my first PC (curse this day, curse it!). It was 486DX2 and it took me just a few hours to find that, although it had 66 mhz and 4 mb of RAM, its overall performance was rather poor, maybe even when compared to the ancient Atari ST... so I had to buy another 4 mb of RAM, and a sound card, and...

Anyhow, I started collecting games for my new computer, and one of the first (beside the PC version of DM, obviously, I couldn't live without it!) was a game not known to me before (even though it probably exists in Atari version, doesn't it?) - Zork trilogy. I must say that it was an immensely difficult game for me, not only because it's a tough game in general (remember the sandstone maze in zork 3... yuck), but especially because in these times my English was much poorer (I mean even poorer than now), and Zork has (when compared to many other text based adventures) relatively complex and rich language. So I had to fight not only with all the grues, but also with my English. However, I finished all three games after several months - I mean MANY months - and have played them several more times since then... just to look if the things are still the same at Flood Control Dam 3, etc.

Well - I'm not very good at playing computer games, and I have still less and less time for playing them, but I must say that I consider finishing and mapping the Zork series (together with finishing and mapping CSB) one of MY greatest achievements in playing computer games.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I don't know about life-changing. But I
do know about life-consuming :(

Did you ever play Legacy of the Wizard
on NES? A wonderful game of puzzles.
I have a COMPLETE map that
measures about four feet by six feet.
Talk about hours. Ever play Ultima V -
Warriors of Destiny? I have COMPLETE
maps and a COMPLETE cross-reference
of every word spoken by every character
in every village in the game. Again, the
world map is about four feet square and
there are dozens of miscellaneous maps
of caverns, Underworld, etc. Oh! My!
There is no way to estimate the percentage
of my life spent in these pursuits.

I cheated with DM....bought the book.
I cheated with CSB...wrote the program.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Think the largest map I had was that of the last tile-based wizardry...

Spent lots of time for modifying heretic and hexen.

Games that I would call milestones:

Bard's tale 1, Dungeon master, Sid Meier's railroad tycoon and civilization, Might&Magic-series, Heretic (not wolfenstein or doom - hated those!), Magic Carpet(!!!), then Unreal.
First thing that really impressed me since then is guild wars now (that's the reason why my works at DM & CSB are temporarily stuck - found that one lately and are still pretty busy with it).
But I missed a lot in the last years because my hardware lacked minimum requirements for some like morrowwind or oblivion. Only one that I played in the last five years to the end (except browser games) was Sacred 1.

I still can't build up any love for car racing, sport games or war scenarios. Have a dragon or a spaceship instead of a tank and it's okay... (only exception was unreal - that one was too impressive)
Ultima or Baldur's gate - dunno - got them, played, but aborted.

Thanks also for Eye of the beholder (think that was the closest one to dungeon master with - let's face it - much finer graphics) and the black crypt (which ended the DM-'clone'-area imho), and ofc the wizardry - and yes, I think I was pretty satisfied with Amberstar too - but I hardly can remember, so, that wasn't a breakthrough to me.

EDIT: really forgot Dungeon Siege... another milestone!
Last edited by Bit on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

That's interesting - I always loved DOOM a lot, and I played it a lot as well, but I've never liked HERETIC. Not only that it was slower with my 486 wih only 4MB of RAM (and it crashed once or twice due to low memory), but I've never liked the graphics of Heretic (too many colours mixed together... like "a pattern for a summer skirt for an older woman", as my boss would say), and the structure of levels seemed to simple and easily predictible to me, and the music was somehow dull (I can still remember most of the Doom themes, on the contrary)... don't know... I've always considered Heretic an unsucessful Doom-clone...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Great post Trantor, and thanks to everyone else for sharing your stuff too.

I'll write something interesting soon as I want to do Trantor's post justice, but don't have time today. :-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I dont think any game has particularly "changed my life" - I've grown up with them, so they've just been a sort of ongoing theme, really. I could list a bunch of games I remember enjoying, but it'd be very long...suffice it to say they're mostly Fantasy-related RPG types...
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

@Ameena: Then let it fly... I did. I've spent a large amount (sometimes I think, too much) of my life behind a keyboard & mouse, playing games. If you have a list of memorable gaming experiences, then let us hear it... I'm honestly curious as to which games affected which people.

@Gambit: I don't think that you need to do Trantor's post "justice". I think that you should just type what you feel, no matter how long (or short) it may be.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If I start listing the rather huge list of games that I can remember having enjoyed, I just know there's always gonn abe "just one more" that I'll have missed off the list, so I'll end up making about five hundred posts just to add in extra games ;).
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

LOL! :lol:

I know that feeling, but I just picked the top few... the MOST memorable / life-changing games, that I have experienced.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Thing is, I have a lot of cool games that I can remember (most of them dating from at least 10 years ago...omg that long, I'm so old...but a few of them more recent). But like I mentioned before, none of them really "changed my life" since they were already a part of it. Every cool game I played was just "another cool game" :).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think it's a bit much to say a game actually "changed your life" -- after all, you don't know how things would be different if you hadn't played game X. I think Trantor's wording isn't supposed to be taken literally... think of it more as "What games had a big impact on you?"
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Point taken, Gambit.

I get what you mean, and that's pretty much the games I listed in my post at the top. I spent many sleepless nights playing /editing Quake & Blood, they had a huge impact on me.

As did DM, when I first saw & played it.
BoNes thinks of those evil purple worms...

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I still own a lot of those jewels, '2nd class' I once sold in such a game-chest - and... even those got sold again (except one football manager). I'd like to add an 'evil experiences'-thread - but wouldn't know lots of those titles anymore.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Gambit37 wrote:I think it's a bit much to say a game actually "changed your life" -- after all, you don't know how things would be different if you hadn't played game X. I think Trantor's wording isn't supposed to be taken literally... think of it more as "What games had a big impact on you?"
That's exactly what I meant. I certainly spent more time playing Turrican 2, Last Ninja 1+2 or TV Sports basketball than I spent playing Amberstar - but the first moments of Amberstar put me in a state of positive shock, while I merely enjoyed the others tremendously. The games I listed aren't necessarily my favourite games, they are the ones that impressed me most from the get-go, the ones that touched a nerve somewhere in my heart when I played them for the first time.

Anyway, a big thank you to everyone who shared their memories here! :D
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Trantor wrote:but the first moments of Amberstar put me in a state of positive shock
I know it like yesterday - a neighbor bought Amberstar, but it didn't work on his computer, even after sending a disk to Thalion. He was very frustrated and so, just for the fun of it, i said "let me try it". I had a 520 ST+ and he a 1040, so it was worth a shot, even though not very likely.
And i really got it to work - not by my different machine, but because i copied the broken disk on my fathers Atari, and the copy happened to work.
I installed the game, ran it and played a bit around. I was instantly hooked and ran over to him to tell him how awesome it is. Our "computer nerd circle" (we were 3 Atari guys in the whole village) took weeks to finish it, alternating in progress and finding out stuff.

I also remember the quote "that will be awesome 1000 hours of gaming" when buying Diablo 2, which earned me some strange looks.

Unforgetable games have stories. :)
Bob
Neophyte

Re: Games that changed your life

Post by Bob »

It didn't really 'change' my life, but it definitely had a deep impact on me. I'm talking about, guess what :D , Dungeon Master. I assume I don't really have to explain what that game is about here *g*.

I remember that it took me quite a lot of time to get the game. Computer/game/software stores weren't that popular in the area I lived. All I had in my pocket was a little newspaper article with one DM-screenshot in it. The year was 1988 and I was 13 years of age at that time.

After I got it in my hands the busride home seemed to be endless. It was raining and the traffic was a chaos. I believe it was the longest two hours in my life.

The following weeks were DM-intense, as you probably experienced yourself. I even managed to stay away from school in order to solve riddles, slay mummies ect.

There is one thing that I also can remember very clearly: After completing the whole game (took me around 4 weeks I think) I wished I had a level/story/character editor software. I really hated the fact that I couldn't create a dungeon on my own. Finally, after a long wait, in 1990, there was a DM-editor software, but it didn't allow to make complex stuff, it merely was a dumb 'wall here, wall there'-level manipulation suite and most annoying: It was impossible to set up an entirely new storyline.

Many, many years later - in 2008 - I found RTC and its community on the Internet. And I can't tell you how surprised I was. Surprised that Dungeon Master is still being played and, if you want to, even with its original graphics/sounds.

Right now I am designing my first silly (but own) DM-quest for my wife. First I tried to make my own wallset, but I figured that it may take a much longer time to do, since it's not only the walls, floor, ceiling needs to be exchanged, it also means adaptation of a huge amount of other gfx in the game, so I decided to stick with the original DM1-wallset. By the way: Did anyone ever do that, I mean designing a completely new wallset and (most of the) other gfx, like doors/frames, buttons ect. ?

I am deeply thankful for this excellent piece of software! Keep up the good work.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think a few people might have come up with their own graphics sets...I know there's a hell of a lot of user-designed stuff out there, anyway.
Oh btw welcome to the forum, yaaay another DM-nut to join us >:).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Welcome, Bob! Hurrah! :D

I'm looking forward to playing your custom dungeon!

Jan.
Last edited by Jan on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I would have to say Dungeon master changed my life... but not until 1999 :) Because it was this community. Not specifically anything the game did. Sure it was the first one to have me creeped out and trying to peek around the corners of the screen even though logically I knew that wasn't possible to do. However I've done that with other games since. It's just a sign that the game has hooked you and taken you into it's world.

Zork was one of the first games to cause me to open my imagination and mapping skills to try and find my way through the game. Later it was DragonWorld for C64 based on the book of the same name. Amsel and Hawkwind.. wind ships.. and a lot of go W, Go E, Go N, Look... :P

Street Fighter hit me in the arcades, not because of the game itself so much as how it was a conduit to making new friends.. or enemies :P I would sit on the machine and people would keep challenging me once I got good at the game. They had all beaten the game but it's me they wanted to beat. I would be asked if I would be around again the next day.. they wanted to challenge me. I watched one guy waste 10 bucks on me. All because he came close a few times.. there's a gambling problem waiting to happen :S Being a very shy person at the time, the kind of person who talked to almost no one. It made a difference for me. However, over the years I watched the game become more complex and I left it behind until recently where they promised the old style play with 3D characters.. they lied.. oh well.

Psygnosis as a company left me with an impression of what you can do with graphics and music. I thought they were so cool as a company that I took a black marker and very carefully and detailed in their company logo onto my back pack. Making sure each line was authentic :P I tried to learn how to make graphics in the way they did using Deluxe paint 3. I later got Deluxe Music Construction kit, and tried to make music.. then moved on to make my own Mods with Tracker software. Still have some on disk, but no way of extracting them from Amiga disks :P.. disks are probably all dead anyway.. and they probably are not as good as I thought they were at the time anyway :D

Chrono Trigger left me with some cool music I still love and the cool idea of having so many possible different endings.. the idea of actions changing the game in such a drastic way.. so much in fact that it could lead to the death of your hero and a different character would take on the hero's quest essentially changing how you played by making a different person to control!

Metroid and Zelda.. fantastic 2D adventures that have always been good at drawing me into the story (implied or otherwise) and leaving me with a feeling of completion.

So, I've been impressed and impacted by games.. but ultimately they did not directly alter my life. It was simply that sometimes they connected me with others or inspired me to imrpove my own skills.
Bob
Neophyte

Post by Bob »

@Ameena, Jan, Beowuuf:
Thanks. Nice forum-board you got here, and as I can see, with a lot of people like me :)

About my little RTC-dungeon: I actually don't plan to put this thing public, since it is a) far from being professional and b) will have some copyrighted musical stuff in it, so i think it has to stay 'private' .

However, once I get better in RTC editor, I can make another dungeon for everybody here. But be warned: My style is .. different. You won't find noble characters or classic dark Lords in my 'world of madness' :) Shouldn't be a problem. I have seen some of the dungeons of the ppl here, like one which starts in that huge field of grass with tons of zombies, skeletons ect as a welcome-parade.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

oh yes, and welcome fellow vancouverite ;) I'm up in north Van.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Ishar, especially part 2 really influence on me, to point where change life, because from that moment i become fan of RPG. Later i have second wave of enthusiasm into Might and Magic, and finished 4-8 part, some of them many times. Then i search trough RPGs and probably played them all which exist. Also really good one was Black Crypt, Perihelion, Hired Guns, Diablo, Fallout, X-Com, Dungeon Master (and so many more) When all possibilities end i become boring and begin to modify games. I start from Fallout 2 and System Shock2, also spend some time in Might and Magic community, and now am modding Dungeon Master. After years of playing i come to point where found that creating own games make more fun from playing.
Last edited by Zed5Duke on Mon May 25, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.