Review - Sukumvit's Labyrinth 2b

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Review - Sukumvit's Labyrinth 2b

Post by Trantor »

Gameplay: 7
The double-edged sword of this dungeon. It does provide some fairly nice and different challenges, like light being a problem for a long time and having no magic for a while. This can be tedious, however, if your characters get hurt and you are running out of healing potions, or if you run out of torches (and with this chaotic dungeon, this is very possible).
The puzzles are nice, the locations very good, and it is simply amazing how well the different parts of the dungeon are intertwined.
However, I also think there are a few design mistakes. There is absolutely no clue that among the four champions you can choose from in the beginning is a "beginner" character (Lippo) and an "expert" character (I think she's called Izal). There should be a hint to this.
Also, I was able to cross the muncher room from the "wrong" side; an uncrossable room with only dozens of regenerating, but weak monsters is not going to work. Because of this, I was even able to get around one of the "bosses" which should not be possible.
If you finish two of the three paths, you can sort of go to the "endgame", though Linflas told me this is because a key item was accidentally left in the dungeon from playtesting sessions. Some of the needed items are also really hard to see, find, or simply don't seem to be key items at all.
I'm also a bit frustrated that finding the compass (a VERY handy item in this dungeon!) seems rather luck-based - you either get it or go another way and are never able to return.
Ok, lots of criticism here, but apart from that, the dungeon plays really well.

Originality: 7
A nice little story with pseudo-cutscenes helps this dungeon quite a lot. There are also some nice new monsters (love the EOB and Duke Nukem references). Apart from that, duh, it's a dungeon with lots of traps and monsters and keys... :wink:

Difficulty: 8
Sukumvit's Labyrinth's difficulty mainly stems from not being able to find your way. I got lost countless times in the chaotic maze, probably even more often than in Surgical Strike (and that's saying something!). Also, some of the puzzles aren't easy to find out, and sometimes you just have to enter every pit and hit every wall out of desparation. The fights are fairly easy throughout as you usually have enough space to move around the monsters, plus the characters are all very strong stat-wise.

Puzzles: 8
A really nice mix of practically everything: teleporters, pits, keyholes, levers, finding the correct items, timed puzzles and so on. Some are really good and innovative, like the one needed to solve to get the Blood Key. The Living Doors are also nice (through potentially frustrating).

Size: 7
There are only six levels, but don't let that fact fool you! When I was playing, I was constantly thinking "Yeah, right, six levels, but they are 64x64 tiles...". Interestingly, each level is the standard 32x32 tiles, but the game feels much, much larger because everything is connected very well and there are very few spots where there is nothing to do.

Replayability: 6
Ah, the troublesome point for almost all dungeons (except Conflux I guess), but Sukumvit's Labyrinth is better than most in this regard. Choosing a different champion can change a whole lot of how the game (especially the beginning) is played. Also, a lot of the dungeon can be done in different order. Still, it's nothing too special, so replaying this won't happen too often.

Craft: 10
It's just amazing how much is crammed into this small dungeon. The three main paths intertwine each other a LOT, and you open up dozens of shortcuts along the way. The mechanics all work, and thankfully, I think there are no dead-ends at all, you can always go back and try something else if you are stuck. My only gripes would be that the Muncher room doesn't necessarily work the intended way, but I covered that under "gameplay" already.

Game Ending: 5
The last "boss fight" isn't exactly hard (with the correct equipment at least), but it is satisfying enough.
Spoiler:
Spoiler
But I do have a problem with what happens after that (even though this could also be listed under "gameplay"): You have to have a certain item to finish the dungeon with absolutely no clue you need it, or that such an item even exists. If you don't have it, it's just game over without warning. The item is very well-hidden and requires the use of a key item that doesn't look like a key item at all. I think the game tries too hard to offer some "surprise" in the end and would prefer at least a hint that said item will be needed.
Atmosphere: 9
A simple, but nice storyline, cool little pseudo-cutscenes, pretty monsters, very effective use of the DM2 wallsets and atmospheric music don't leave much to be desired.

Overall: 8
I so wanted to give this a 9, but had just found too many little nuisances to justify it. With a little more fine-tuning like adding the hints I mentioned and fixing the stuff that's not working as intended, I would give it a 9. It's really really good and a masterpiece of a well-thought-out structure of a dungeon.

EDIT: With version 2c released, I can safely give Sukumvit's Labyrinth the 9 it deserves! :D

Best part:
The whole structure with "boss monsters" and the Dragon's Lair (I'm just a sucker for those firebreathing lizards.)

Worst part:
Running in circles for hours having no clue what to do next, some little instances of what I would call "bad design" (see gameplay end ending sections for details).
Last edited by Trantor on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks for this review ! i'm so glad that you finally took the time to play it entirely :)
i'm now motivated to add some corrections and release a 2c (final?) version, according to what you mentioned.
that shouldn't be very long to do.. if some people are playing the 2b version at the moment and are still in the emerald path, maybe they can wait for it - let's say tomorrow :roll:
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I like your reviews Trantor.
I'm waiting for your version 2c, Linflas!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Nice one Trantor. Love the review and glad you made it to the end as well.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thank you for the kind words. I do believe that reviews are essential to garner more interest for dungeons and keep the designers motivated to do more (read: I will kick the butt of anyone who doesn't write a review for my dungeon once it is ready :wink: ).

Linflas, if you release a version 2c, consider the rating a 9 - Sukumvit's Labyrinth surely deserves it! :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Done ! ;)