Help with casting a spell to close a pit

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Help with casting a spell to close a pit

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

OK, i finally got around to building my dungeon again.

I've mangaged to make a spell target an action that targets a relay that toggles pits.

Can i make a spell that when targeting the action, that targets a relay,that targets an action, that object toggles the pits?

finally i see some light at the end of the tunnel
keep your gor coin handy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You might need to explain that a little clearer and break it down, your first and second sentences sound liek the same effect (a spell does soemthing to close the pit)
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

Please make pit a clone. It is pit that you want to shut.
Spell is made like this.

Code: Select all

ACTION: ACTION_OBJECT_DEACTIVATE
Object 1:PIT CLONE
PIT closes if this magic is used.
However, I think that what you are requesting is not this.
It might be good if it explains a little more in detail.
Please forgive poor English.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Sorry about the terrible explanation :?

I want the pit to close without a relay targetting it and only if you're standing in front of the (cloned)pit

I cloned an action that targetted a cloned relay and that worked, but i had to manually target each pit

I am a rooky, so please bare with me guys, i'll get it adventually :idea:
keep your gor coin handy
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Here's the way I'd do it:

1) Clone a spell bolt and a spell cloud (for instance, the ZO one) Clone bolt becomes clone cloud on impact, no mystery so far.

2) Keep the pit a regular pit and place a trigger on top, activated by the cloned cloud. That trigger deactivates the pit. This is basically what is done in DMII to close the ZO portals through which enemy attack minions come.

The advantage of this method is that anywhere you want an activable pit you can place one without fear that one instance of the spell will trigger something you don't want triggered etc... It basically places the burden of reacting to the spell on the pit, instead of putting it on the spell. As much as possible that's what you want to do to avoid unwanted side effects (place the burden of detecting the effect on the target instead of the source, I mean.)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You have a spell that creates a nice harmless could infront of you, and also does a 'convert_party_infront or whatever it is called that swaps a cloned closed pit for a cloned open pit, or vice versa
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

so far it works, but i have to have a wall to explode the spell in to a cloud to activate the trigger, is there a way to have a spell explode on the tile in front of you?
keep your gor coin handy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think you should be able to create a projectile with a finite lifetime so that it explodes after a few seconds, or alternatively just have the spell create a cloud infront straight off?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i can't seem to figure out how to cast a spell that creates the cloud in front. the spells are flying, and how do i adjust the time a spell is active before converting to cloud?
keep your gor coin handy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

A spell can create any object, not just those objects designated spells (so you can create a spell that throws a dagger or simply creates a cloud)

If you cloned a spell missile, i htink one of the menus tabs has a lifetime object, and then you assign it a cloud explosion for its convery to when expiring

Sorry, rushing off to work or else I would check RTC for you now - will perhaps get a chance this evening if you are still stuck!
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

I believe the action is CREATE_IN_FRONT which would create your cloned cloud. This makes the cloud directly in front of the party. You can of course make the cloud invisible by replacing all its views with a 1X1 power pink bitmap. And then ta-daa, you've got a pit-closing spell. Actually, what you have is much more versatile than that, but it will work as a pit-closing spell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you needed it a missile then you can, as I said, create a missile from anything (not spell) and alter the effects and look accordingly

You can assign it a lifetime in the 'other' menu tab (top left area), then assign the effect in the convert menu, the 'expire' tab. That will give you the ability to assign an spell cloud expiration and an action on expiration.

The spell can then create this object in the air. A quick test did show that there seemed to be a 50% chance the spell would be able to carry on one square further than it was meant.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

sorry for the late reply

I believe the action is CREATE_IN_FRONT which would create your cloned cloud. This makes the cloud directly in front of the party.

I'm going to try this, it looks easy, it does what i what
thanks mate
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i don't think there is a CREATE_IN_FRONT
i'll try beowuufs method, i need the to learn how to any way
keep your gor coin handy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is a creatre party infront though
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

beowuuf wrote:There is a creatre party infront though
I do not seem to have it.

Chaos-Shaman.You can use CREATE_HAZE_ON_TILE_INFRONT for the replacement.
It is necessary to use haze for the replacement of the cloud.
Strength is time until haze disappears.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

well, i tried to create_haze_on_tile_infront but it didn't set off the trigger over the pit that would close it, can an action target an action? GG must of spent many hours with this engine, quite impressed!
keep your gor coin handy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, or rather an action can target a wallitem action which would generate an effect

That was why i suggested the expiring missile - it automatically allows for a free action
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i'll have to investigate it a bit more about actions, looks like this engine allows for a lot of things
keep your gor coin handy
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

I'm sorry. I was not testing the method of writing ahead by myself.
It was necessary to write it first.

You will use expiring missile that beowuuf proposes.

The item with lifetime of one is made.
The cloud is chosen to be new object of expire.
Action of spell is made CREATE_NEW_IN_AIR. And, item made from object is chosen.
The cloud appears forward of the party if this spell is used.
Because I also am using it, this method is safe. :)

Moreover, I recommend the item to be set so as not to do working that the item is unnecessary. (sees, sounded, monster is damaged, Acquisition of ninja experience, Stamina is consumed)

dungeon graphic and sound are made null. and Attack(%) and weight are adjusted to 0.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also, the 'additional action' parameter can then try swap local any pit underneath it