BORAT !!!

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

BORAT !!!

Post by Adamo »

"Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" - in cinemas

you seen it? I heard it`s absolutely marvelous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100% BAD TASTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I've seen it and have to say I love it. One of the funniest movies I've seen in years.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

www.boratfilm.com

@Trant: there`s a great Kazakh minority in Germany. Ask them, what they think about Borat ;)
Warum kasachische Studenten über Borat Sagdijew empört sind

Als wir unsere Stellungnahme über die Kunstfigur von Sacha Baron Cohen im Dezember 2005 in „Atameken“ und der Deutschen Allgemeinen Zeitung veröffentlicht haben, konnten wir anscheinend die Leser nicht ganz überzeugen, wie sehr uns Kasachen dieses Thema beschäftigt. Dies ist hier ein weiterer Versuch, unsere Empörung über Borat Sagdijew zum Ausdruck zu bringen. Denn alles, was wir wollen, ist das Verständnis der Leser, das wir im Moment vermissen.

Es ist eine verständliche Tatsache, dass sich die Menschen mit ihrer Heimat identifizieren können. Da Kasachstan dem breiten Publikum nicht so gut bekannt ist, gibt es bestimmt viele Vorurteile gegenüber dem Land und dessen Bewohner. Und genau das nutzt Sacha Baron Cohen, um mit seiner Kunstfigur „Borat“ erfolgreich zu sein. Dabei werden sicherlich noch mehr Vorurteile geschürt und somit unsere Gefühle missachtet: „der trottelige Kasache“ gibt sein Bestes, um die Kasachen auf der ganzen Welt bekannt zu machen. Das Schlimmste an der Sache ist, dass wir kein Verständnis bekommen, warum wir uns über Borat so sehr aufregen.

Die meisten deutschen Medien kommentieren gerne zu der Angelegenheit, dass es doch Satire ist, obwohl sie andererseits zugeben, dass Borats Auftritte geschmacklos, sexistisch und rassistisch sind. "Kopf hoch und keine Angst- mit kasachischem Wein...“ (FTD), „ein Kasache versteht keinen Spaß“ (Spiegel) usw. Es geht uns nicht um den Spaß, sondern um die Art der Späße, die von Borat angeboten wird. Es ist so, als ob es Kasachstan nicht gäbe. Oder kann man doch mit der Nationalität Pech haben? Unsere Empörung ist grenzenlos.

Nisanbay Omirov (www.atameken.de)
27. Oktober, 2006
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

lol Yeah I saw that but since I was only 16 had to have friends open the back door to the theatre... >:( Damn age restrictions -.-
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

In Germany, you only need to be 12 in order to see Borat. Germans have much less problems with nudity and so-called foul language in the media than Americans.

Concerning Borat and the real Kazakhstan, the reactions are very mixed. Just yesterday, I read that some Kazakh artists suggested a special prize for Sacha Baron Cohen, since he made Kazakhstan famous in the world and made people curious about their country. So, not all Kazakhs seem to be offended like those you quoted Adamo.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Borat movie is a compilation of small shows made a few years ago and most of them are easy to find on youtube.
but well, that's easy to understand in the movie because you have subtitles (or dubbing ?!?! :shock:)...
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Trantor wrote:In Germany, you only need to be 12 in order to see Borat. Germans have much less problems with nudity and so-called foul language in the media than Americans.
No wonder you Germans are so messed up. :wink:
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I've heard the continents take opposing views on cinema: Europeans have fewer problems with nudity, North Americans have fewer problems with violence. Personally, I think the European take is more sensible (no proof that media affects morals, but I find it ironic that our unsolved crime rate is around 80 percent).

When Snatcher came out for the Sega CD, there were three versions. The original Japanese release was, of course, the most hardcore. In the European release, they cut out quite a bit of the gore but left in the nudity, only changing the age of one of the female characters (from 13 to 17 if I recall). In the U.S. version, they left all the gore and censored most of the nudity. Weird taste. I think everyone played the Japanese version anyway.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

actually, since you mentioned northamericans. They did a study a few years back asking canadians and those of the united states what they would sooner see on TV and cinema since there seems to be a distinct division between what is popular in canada and what is popular in the states.

The found one point rater interesting and that is most canadians would rather see bear breasts than a decapitaion on tv, and the reverse was true in the states.

I don't know who the went about asking.. but I figured it relevant to the above statement.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Decapitation vs. breasts - That's exactly what Larry Flynt is talking about at the beginning of "The People vs. Larry Flynt" . Anyone seen it?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Bear breasts? Oh! Bare breasts! Yup, american TV is very much devoid of nudity. When I first moved to the U.S. my upstairs neighbour teased me about the "french R-rated" commercials. I had never thought about it, and when she mentioned it I realized that, yes, it's a bit silly to show half-naked women to sell deodorant or shower gel, but it had never bothered me.

Now I don't even have cable anymore. I don't feel that the violence and profanity on TV at regular hours is the kind of stuff I want to see, let alone let my 3 year old see. Am I turning into an old grouch?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

UK isn't a part of Europe though, we all know that lol ;-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

bear brests.. as opposed to bare breasts.. hahaha.. I kill myself :D You know us canadians.. we like to shave the bears and then take illicit photos of them.