What I do with my non-DM time

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

What I do with my non-DM time

Post by beowuuf »

Thanks to a friend who is doing photography as a hobby, I've started taking it up as a hobby-hobby.

Not doing anything brilliant, but you can see stuff (and me looking moody) at http://www.beowuuf.deviantart.com

It's generally a good site for art stuff too.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, nice start! I especially like "Under the Bridge". However, I think it would have been even better if you could have got lower, with the bridges silhouetted against that lovely sunset and crop out the buildings on the left -- but what you have there is still pretty nice.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, notice the stuff on the ground? that's snow man! I already managed to put my foot down through a ''6 inch' sheet that turned into a foot and a half and i lost my balance : ) It's a slanted bank, so couldn't really get good positioning sometimes. Actually, there were a few tighter shots I did with just the right of the bridge and the sunset reflected, but nothign i prefered. That's what happens when you try to grab some shots in the middle of lunch on a workday! : )

Since I don't think under the bridge is my best shot, I'll ask if you realise that the images mentioned on the front page are just my latest stuff? If you click on the 'gallery' links there are about 50 odd images, and also there is a link called 'scraps' that has stuff too...nothing i think is brilliant, but just stuff I took : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, realised that you couldn't improve the positioning due to geography, just an observation really on what might have improved the composition.

I didn't see the other stuff, only what's on the front page, I'll check them out.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, not a problem, appreciate the comments : )
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

What is that animation of Wuuf doing?! Looks like he's eaten too many worm rounds.

Some great shots there.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

heh, it's the beowuuf...he's basically drooling and doing glowy eyes...poor wuuf's strange cousin...

i may add a twitch if the mood takes me : )

and cheers
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I have had a passing interest in photography myself, though things are a little different nowadays with the digital cameras. I remember at uni, when photographing diffraction patterns and struggling with the spools in a pitch black room.

Maybe time for a new camera!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, digital is just too easy...it's like 'click click click' 'download' 'photoshop'
umm...look, art *points* *runs*
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Is that you then in "Look"? Self portrait eh? You don't look anything like how I imagined, but you do look strangely like a friend of mine, who many people feel look like Chris Barrie. Highly spooky....
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Hey, some of these are very impressive. :) My sister is big into photography, so I've developed at least some understanding of what goes into it. Nice work.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yup, that's me being a moody drunk bugger!
i tend to smile more in person, honest : )

LOL, and yes, i keep getting the damn chris barrie thing!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Now then Rimmer... I always imagined you to look like the darts player, Martin Adams!!!

Yes, I would run *very* fast if any other artists saw those comments, though I am inclined to agree...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

cheers bfs! yeah, my friend is taking quite a deep interest in it, so i sort of got swept into it too - though my passion is still to write more and get into that. Still, it's really interesting, I love how you look at the world a little differently, just appreciate everything around you more...but i'm afraid my skills and even basic understanding leave alot to be desired. Ah well, i learn, i have fun : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have a few of what I like to think of as 'artistic' holiday snaps on my website if anyone gives a toss:

http://www.resonantedge.com/?p=stuff
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@ the digital thing - eh, i just mean more me, there are some AMAZING photographers on deviantart. One guy does these amazing studio-like portraits, then in the description he's always like 'so, i was in the pub...'
some people are annoyingly talented!

i have no idea who martin adams is, and if downloads weren't slowly my comp down, i would google to find out...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yes there are some people who are amazingly naturally talented. 'Art' can be open to interpretation though.

Martin Adams?! Tune into the darts final tonight, BBC 6pm!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

wow gambit, you've travelled alot!

yup, those are definitely some fine artistic holiday snaps...i really like them all except the two road ones, simple cause they are just nicely taken roads.. The roof at kamak, the siena cathedral and the sacre coeur really stand out.
Was this from one long trip or a collection of stuff?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just misc shots from various holidays -- the Adare ones were from a work trip to Limerick. Would you believe the colours in those are exactly as were taken -- no photoshopping!

The Italy trip was back in 1993 just after my 21st Birthday -- was fantastic. A train trip camping over two weeks -- travelled through France down to Rome, then back up through Italy stopping at Siena, Florence and Venice. Must go back back there some day, Siena and Venice in particular.

I need to rescan the egypt/italy -- the ones on that site are actually digital snaps of the original printed photo and you can see the gloss of the paper! Didn't have a scanner at the time...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ah, i see, i wasn't sure about the slight noise on the egypt ones...definitely scan!
and interesting about the colours...love when stuff in reality turns out perfectly when taken

yeah, i've gone nowhere interesting at all, a friend of mine has gone to so many places...scarily alot of the time she just took her bakcpack, sleeping bags and just went with a lonely planet guide and a vague idea of where youth hostels might be!
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

I don't think we have youth hostels over here, but I always thought it was really cool that you guys have them and people can just backpack around. I'd like to try that. It would be exciting.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Some good 'uns there, Beowuuf. My favourite is "Tall Like.." with the cross and the tree, the lighting making the inner branches of the tree seem like flames coming from the top of the cross.

Oh and regarding Paul's sporting namesake comment - Yesterday in the FA Cup Scunthorpe stunned Chelsea by taking an early lead. The scorer? None other than Mr. Paul Hayes :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Cheers Des, yeah, i think i made a comment to someone on devart that i wish the distances were better to get amother one slightly out of focus on the tree...but i also like the simultaneous effect
: )
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I thought I did quite well with that goal - quick turn and through the keepers legs!!

Have you seen my BBC show on antiques too?!