trying to run DM2 on newer equipment

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
mikey

trying to run DM2 on newer equipment

Post by mikey »

Trying to load DM2 on newer equipment. eMachine with 600Mhz and on-board sound and video and 6.22 DOS. It flashes the logo for a second and pops back out to dos. The settings for audio lists nothing I have and when I try to select a digital selection like SB, the setup program locks up.

Any ideas :oops:

-Mike
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

DM2 sound settings have always been problematic, it crashes if anything is wrong and there is no "No Sound" option.
It is also probable that your on-board sound system is for Windows only. In that case you have no SB (or any other DOS soundcard ) emulation or compatibility.
One solution is to use DOSBOX ( a DOS emulator, which has a builtin SB capability ) under Windows. DM2 works well with DOSBOX. However a 600MHz machine may not be fast enough for DM2/DOSBOX (sound will be choppy). I have a 1GHz machine, and I'm not far from the limit
The other solution (that I have not tested) is to use the Amiga version of DM2 with an Amiga emulator like WinUAE
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

If I remember correctly there are already several threads around here solving that problem. Did you already try to search a little around here?