Wonderfalls, etc

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Talk about going OT again -- is Wonderfalls any good? Saw some ads for it on the web, looked interesting.... but didn't want to download any of it without some kind of preview.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

depends what you like - it's very funny, not chicky like it sounds if you've heard any story summaries of it..

I REALLY like, i REALLY yelled when i heard they cancelled it, and each time a new episode finds its way out i downlaod and watch it religiously. So in my unbiased opinion GET IT NOW!

the dvd of the one season is out around christmas...can't wait... : )

but you know, don't let my completely unbiased opinion sway you though *get it*

i have the episodes if you can't find them on the web and have an easy way for me to upload them
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

beowuuf wrote:I REALLY like, i REALLY yelled when i heard they cancelled it, and each time a new episode finds its way out i downlaod and watch it religiously. So in my unbiased opinion GET IT NOW!
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Still haven't heard of it... what is it ? tv show like friends ?
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

nope, nothing like friends, it's a comedy about a 20-something named jaye, a slacker who lives in her own trailer, away from her overachieving rich family. She's fine doing nothing with her life in a small gift shop at niagra falls, until inanimate animals start talking to her, getting her to do strange things that have stranger concequences...

Now, ignore that description if it sound weird, just get it..its funny : )
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Kool, gotta see if i can catch it :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I read the webiste for it some time ago, but haven't got around to downloading any of it yet. I just finished watching series one of Tru Calling -- utterly daft but kind of fun in a silly way. And for some reason I like Dushku's hoarse odd voice...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, pretty mcuh feel the same way about tru calling too - except for the the hoarse voice thing. i ljust like her generally for no good reason : )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I pull things off topic, i split them off to sneakily make new topics
It's like a new hobby or something....
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

We should petition to have a stat for that below your avatar, "Number of threads moved off topic:"!

How come nobody (including me) has ever heard of Wonderfalls? Was it on TV? Oh, maybe not in America...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL, it's only been on in america!

In a probably blaze of no publicity, fox aired four epiosdes then just binned the other 9. i only heard of it because the name kept coming up on downlaod sites, and i only knew what it was about because a friend said 'oh, tim minear had a hand in it, it's about x' cause he saw an item on a forum, and then said 'it's really funny' when he took the chance of downloading it
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

That's why i never heard of it... im from Portugal...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

it was only out this year, but yeah, half of america hasnt' heard of it, so even being in the UK now, i don't imagine you would have heard of it, unless you were fortuitous enough to browse a DM board and find someone potificating about it : )
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Now where would that be?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow! I have downloaded the first few episodes and just watched 'sode 1. Love it! Just my cup of tea: by turns dark, silly, fun, philosophical, whimsical and simply interesting. In some ways, the underlying fundamental hook is very similar to tru calling: find your purpose and live it. If you liked Donnie Darko, I think you'll like Wonderfalls.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Who's Donnie Darko? Maybe these shows are a bit before my time...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's an odd film, almost become cult:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/

I'm not saying that it's the same: Donnie Darko is a lot darker and violent, but there's something about the feel of this film that sits well with Wonderfalls .
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, watch the donnie darko dvd, go 'intriguing, cool, but huh?' like it, then listen to the commentery, and go'huh, ooooooooh, i see, cool' and understand it : )

and yes, wonderfalls is great - which is why it was cancelled, of course- , glad you like it too. it's fun to watch them and see jaye's evolving attitue to her gift. caroline dhaveras (or whatevef the name is) is a good actress

just saw the very last epiosde...at least it doesn't end with a 'huh, but...there are no more' it ends on a nice positive note, so keep watching!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, Beo, where did you get your copy of Wonderfalls? I've been looking around various sites but can't quite seem to find it on a good cost/postage costs balance...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I just got it from Amazon...no, wait, I just got it as a christmas gift, nbut it owuld have been bought on amazon with a 'damn the import costs' kinda feel

Why, have the costs gone up now people are discovering the series?

Hmm, not saying all shows I am away to list are brillaint, but here is the list of stuff that I got into that wee cancelled in the firts six to nine episodes

Firefly, Wonderfalls, Miracles, The Inside, Night Stalker

It seems nowadays if a show isn't hitting the ground running then it's instantly canned...

At least in earlier years shows like Brimstone or Vengence Unlimited got a series run, and just not renewed!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I did download several of the episodes and loved it from the off. Some of the later ones were really bad quality though, so I wanted to wait for the DVD to see all of them together.

I found a USA seller on Amazon at £17.21. Postage is actually only £1.24 which seems really low for international sale, though I guess I will have to pay a fair bit on customs duty. I know what you mean about 'damn the cost' -- though not sure I can justify it at the moment with all my recent purchases!

Plus, I still don't have enough time to watch everything I've bought!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woot. I ordered it a while ago and got it last week. Just remembered to bring it home from work today (I get everything sent there, it's easier).

Love the packaging and a great pic of Jaye on the rear. The slim-line discs in a slip-case is a new one on me too!

Now I just need to find some time to watch them....
megar
Journeyman

Post by megar »

Could you please tell me if the dvd have french subtitles ?
Thank you !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The one I have is only subtitled in spanish : ( Which is odd, maybe you can get a canadian version which might need to legally have french subtitles or summat

Hmm, been a while since I watched this....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

After overdosing on seasons 1-5 of X-Files this year (so far!), I finally started watching Wonderfalls on the DVDs I bought. Utterly wonderful wonderfalls! It was long enough ago that I saw the few episodes I downloaded, for it to feel new and fresh.

I have 5 episodes to go and am already feeling a little sad knowing that's all there are...

We're bobbin along in our baaaaaaa-rrel. Some of us tip right over the edge.... :D :D :D :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oooh, most of the last lot are sad and plotty but very good

Alas poor wonderfalls! If you listened to the commenteries yet you'd know some of the fun storylines we could be watching by now!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Heh, yeah, have listened to the commentaries on discs one & two. Love the ideas they had for a second and then a third season, with little touches such as the boy who bought the russian bride ending up in the same institution as Jaye for being an arsonist.

It's a real shame that the clever/witty American stuff gets cancelled so quickly if it doesn't find a large mainstream audience.

I'm pondering getting hold of Dead Like Me and/or Joan of Arcadia having read good things. Any opinions on those?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I heard the premise of dead like me and didn't see how it could carry on running, so didn't get into it - only heard about joan on the wonderfalls commenteries

Lol, so little bandwidth and so much to download, I must admit getting burned with cancelled shows means I haven't invested in alot of new stuff at all, and I have a backlog of purchased DVD series to watch already!
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Dead Like Me is one of the best programmes that ever aired on TV. Seriously. I got into it halfway through the second season and still loved it. I bought the first series on DVD from amazon for £13 brand new and *ahem* 'obtained' the second series as you can't buy it on DVD over here.

The thing about DLM is that it's so intricate. If you take it with a pinch of salt and don't expect much, you'll be pleasantly surprised. The character building is so raw (in a good way), with stories to match. Emotional struggles and all that mullarkey with some comedy thrown in for good measure. It's shockingly deep at times too. Shame they only made 2 series :(

There's only 4 TV series I've bothered buying on DVD: Futurama, Farscape (not all of them tho - well expensive :shock: ), Red Dwarf and DLM. (Man, just realised that 3/4 are space shows, I love space)

Seriously, watch Dead Like Me NOW! Haha (manic laugh)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Whoa. Phew. *Wipes back small tears of sadness and joy*

I just did a marathon afternoon of the last four episodes of Wonderfalls. Really, really love this show and am very sad there's no more.

I haven't yet gone through the commentaries for the last disc, so no more spoilers from you Beo, but just wanted to say that if anyone likes quirky feel-weird, feel-sad and then feel-good TV, this is a show for you.

We're all fate's bitch.