Experiences with VirtualPC?

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Watz

Experiences with VirtualPC?

Post by Watz »

Does anybody have experiences with progs like VirtualPC or VMWare running under Win98SE, emulated good old DOS for Skullkeep?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Experiences with VirtualPC?

Post by ChristopheF »

VMware only runs on Windows 2000/XP, not on Win 9x.
I don't know for Virtual PC.

Both can run DM2.
Anonymouse loser.

I'm playing it now via vmware.

Post by Anonymouse loser. »

VmWare works great, but you have to jump through a few hoops to get it running properly.

It runs much better than via dosbox, so I would recommend it to anyone.
purple1 (bah)

Post by purple1 (bah) »

VirtualPC for Mac isn't good for running DM2. It's too slow. Get the Mac version of DM2 or use DosBox.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Where do i find this VMware ?
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I didn't have any luck getting VMWare to work, but I've been using Virtual PC for quite a while, and I really like it. It runs DM2 rather slow on my system (1.8 GHz), but it is playable. The performance is comparable to DosBox. I mostly use VPC to run other games, such as Blood, Strife, Daggerfall, and Realms of the Haunting.

WARNING: If you're thinking of using Virtual PC, I strongly urge you to find a copy of 5.2 when it was still owned by Connectix. Microsoft bought the title and released 5.3, which is not only harder to use but also less stable. (Leave it to the biggest software company on the planet to screw up a good thing.)
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

LOL TYPICAL :wink:
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

VirtualPC was far too slow for me, but DOSBox works great if you 'overclock' it (pres ctrl-F12' several times)
Cheers,

John Newman
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Virtual PC 2004 SP1 (the latest version available) is now available for free from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I recently got DM2 to run in Virtual PC 5 on my Mac. I tried the latest DOSBox, but I got stuttering and sound problems at any speed. Here's what I did:

1. Install VirtualPC
2. Create a blank hard drive image, whatever size you want. Doesn't need to be huge.
3. Obtain MS-DOS 6.22 floppy disks or images. There should be 3 of them.
4. Start up a new virtual machine (using a blank drive). Insert the first floppy or mount the first image. Reboot the machine to boot from the floppy. Install MS-DOS from there. Swap the disks or images as the installer requires.
5. Obtain the VirtualPC 2004 SP1 additions disk images. You need these for CD-ROM support.
6. Mount the DOS additions floppy image and run the setup on it.
7. Reboot the machine. If it freezes, reboot from the DOS 6.22 installer disk and remove the line in c:\config.sys that says "
DEVICE=C:\VMADD\VMADD386.SYS ". This was crashing my VM.
8. Insert a DM2 PC CD-ROM or mount an image of it. Run the installer to put the game on your C drive.
9. Run the audio setup. Autodetect should work fine.
10. Get the PC patch, put it on a floppy or make a floppy image containing it. Mount that. Run the installer included with the patch to update the game.
11. Re-run the audio setup. It should still work, or work better if it failed the first time.
12. Run dm2.bat. On my installation, it skipped the opening videos and went to the game menu. Good speed, and full sound (music and effects).
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Strangely, it works much more poorly in VPC on a PC. Screen redrawing is terrible.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”