RTC screen update

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

RTC screen update

Post by cowsmanaut »

I decided to play around and see what my brain would come up with for the current DM screen keeping with the current layout and sizes.

so here it is, as far as I got so far anyway. There are a couple more things to add in but think of it as a preview.

moo
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Woooooooooooooo !!!!

Please post MORE :D :D :D

dungeon.master
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

That looks very nice indeed. Now you just have to persuade George to change all the graphics (or add them as options) and put it in code ;o)

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bear in mind you can't have anything above the champion bar, so your DM logo would have to go. And currently, the stat bars can't be changed (unless you use the editor when creating a new adventure). Hopefully, these will be updated at some point.

Personally, I don't like the arrows -- just look like an afterthought to me. Perhaps something a little more integrated would be better?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I assume you only mean the two gold ones?

I think have them as etchings, that shadow and are pushed 'into' the stone part when pressed
Otherwise looks good - is there a reason the spell bar isn't tocuhed? it looks completely off i nthe new layout
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Gambit, they were actually the first thing I did. I also did the movement arrows for DMJ and this is pretty much how I had made them. Though with out looking I can't be 100% sure. Also, I know at the moment nothing can be put above, however, there is all that negative space that could be used. He just as to choose to use it. All of this can be done within his current set up it's most likley small changes if done right.

Fuzzface, yeah, I think perhaps the inlay idea may work better I'll try that. As for the spell interface and the character placement icons, they have not been touched yet. I will touch them at some point though.

You will notice though for the movement icons, that the turn ones are outlined and the rest ar solid. This is why I did the gold and the emerald.

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Maybe the group pictures could also be improved to fit the more smoother style of the rest of the picture.

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The champion icons are coloured by RTC, so it's pretty limited what you can do with them. Same with the fonts.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

grr. if it isn't one thing it's annother ;)

well, it's up to George if he want's the improvements... or if he even thinks of them as such. My only reason for doing it is because I wanted to see for myself how it could look. :)

moo

ps.. the font is drawn from an image I think.. so that image could be altered.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Well, I should think if all necessary images were available for an alternate graphical version there should be no reason not to offer them as a customizing possibility(one switch in the configuration file should do the trick) if no major programming reason prevents it.

Regards, PitD
Unlucky_Mule
Novice

Post by Unlucky_Mule »

How much of this stuff should be part of the configuration of a dungeon vs. option in the player's own configuration file? With the UI graphics, it may be best as a player option, but with the walls/monsters/etc. it becomes more tricky.

UM
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, the type faces are just a tile with all the letters arranged in a line. It's not yet possible to customise these.

Even if it were, all you could do is make them a different flat image -- you couldn't do anything fancy like bevelling or more than one colour as RTC simply makes the colour one fixed value (white, cyan, bue, red, green, yellow).

For the champion pics, if think that only pixels of the body and shield are changed. The others are left alone. So you could improve the head, arms and sword, but the body and shield would still be a single colour...

George would be able to clarify this -- I'm only guessing based on observations and conversations with George.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Just gotta convince him is all ;)

George? you perusing this thread? I only ever see his comments in the RTC area. :/ Perhaps I'll post it there again when I've modified it.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Probably still enjoying his summer and only dropping by when the cocktails are empty... :D

Regards, PitD