sculptures 4 sale?

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

would you buy them?

yes, I'd buy one.
80%
maybe, but I wouldn't use pay pal
No votes
forget it, I have no use for that.
20%

Total votes: 5

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

sculptures 4 sale?

Post by cowsmanaut »

so, I've talked about this one before. long ago I had planned to do this and got some positive response back. I'd just like to make sure..

Now, I do plan to make at least two (if this is even possible to cast as it is I need to work it out with a friend of mine who does this for a living) for free. One to Gambit who has done so much for me with this board I figure the hours of tedious work he's put into it is worth at least that. The second goes to George who I once said I'd support him in some way again for the work on RTC. In fact chances are I may give yet a third to Alandale for the same reason.. I'll have to ask him if he wants one though. :)

That, as it is will likley bust me. However, would others want one now that you've seen what it looks like? (oh there have been a few more additions, a staff and a littl rat)

if you have any oppinion on how much you think it should cost please says so as well.
how much do you think it's worth? Looking at current prices I'm not sure what material to use to cast it and what the end cost would be for me.. then there is shipping and that's different per person. I was thinking about setting up pay pal though I've never done anything like that and frankly it scares me. etc etc etc.. it's a lot to figure out and set in motion and I don't even want to try if there is no interest.

so.. please vote.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I am hugely honoured that you would be willing to invest your valuable time in this sculpture and give it to me free. For the record, I would buy one anyway and PayPal does not worry me.

If you want to use PayPal, remember that they do take a small percentage of each sale (at least they do with a Business Account and you'll need one of these if you want to accept credit card payments). I've been using one with eBay for quite some time and it's a pretty painless way of getting money from all over the world, if you can stomach the charges. Nothing stopping you from increasing the price of your sculptures slightly to cover those charges...

As for the cost of the piece -- well, it'll be dependant on materials surely? I think one of these Chaos sculptures would look great in Bronze, but hey, that's hardly realistic or practical.... really not sure about this one.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yes, I'd buy one, and I'm a PayPal user anyway. I can't estimate the cost either, but as long as it wouldn't be totally over-expensive I don't worry about that.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I hate answering costs questions.... :)

Hard to tell scale...I can tell you what I would expect to pay in the shop - if it's about 4 - 6" model i would guess up to £10 (about $21 just now i think) and if it's larger (8- 12" monster) then probably £20 or more

I can't rememebr what you originally quoted as cost way back - go on, what are thigns liek your material costs based on per statue, per 5 etc?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, you see the idea is that I would like to find out if when I figure out prices that peoples expectations are close or mor or less than I will need to pay. If people expect to pay more then they will be happy if I post something less, if they are close then there is no issue.. but if it's less than I can afford then I need to decide if I'll bother.

I can not remember how much it was before but I think it was around 20cdn but that could be wrong.

materials cost different year to year month to month.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'd be prepared to pay around £30-£50 for something like this. (That's 66-110 CAD). If you look at the kinds of sculptures coming out of movie merchandise studios, you can expect to pay this kind of money for hand sculpted figures. And those are mass produced -- Cow's stuff would be a lot more unique.

Still, if I get one for free, that's even better -- and it's my birthday today! (hint, hint) ;-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

not likley I would charge that much for them.. :O

so the next question is.. would you want him painted? or not painted.. would you like him painted in character? or as a bronze, silver, or gold statuette?

moo
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I take a lifesize platinume statue. But if you can't provide that, I will be content with some more common material. Painted would be cool, btw.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you know, I could probably provide that. However, I would imagine it would need to be plated.. not solid platinum.

Anyway, what I was asking was not if you want it made from bronze silver or gold.. but if you wanted it *painted* bronze silver or gold.... or as the character was intended with is stone throne with a midnight blue cloak, silver helmut with bronze trim, stone floor bone white skulls. .. etc etc etc

I'd likely use some kind of hydrostone to cast him in.. quick to cast and solidify and it retains detail nicely.

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I have no idea about the canadian dollars but I think 20-40 US$ would be fair depending on the size and of course excluding any shipping costs. Painted would surely improve the overall impression, with Chaos I'd personally go for dark colours (blue cloak sounds nice), with a lighter note on the helmet.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gambit used the magic word 'hand crafted' - i change my evaluations to £20 for a smaller statue, and anywhere up to £50 for the larger
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

got the first castiging done.. I need to carve in the final details and I'll then post a picture of it. It's changed a bunch already though since I didn't know enough about mold creation process so some of the changed involved longer flowing robe, change to the horns so they won't break off which again changes him from looking like chaos to someone else.. not sure if that means less interest in him.. :/

Anyway.. I'll post something of him soon..

moo
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ack.. during the stage of removing the mold from the orriginal.. his head came off. no worries though. the mold is in good shape.

so, it's still looking good. hope to have my first copy done tomorrow sometime.

moo
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok got the first copy out, I'm going to do the finnishing touches now.. however, I hit stumbling block.. there were a few air bubbles.. dang it!

I'll need to fix those up before I make the final mold. oh well, at least I can get the details I need in.

will post an image as soon as I get some more detail in him.

moo
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

still playing with him patching bubble holes and smouthing him out.. but here's the image I promised.
you can see on the bottom the orriginal and the copy as well as the mold.

http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/images/wizard_sculpt.jpg

any ideas anyone has let me know. oh and if you are wondering what that blue stuff is on his face I was trying to design some scroll work for the mask.

didn't properly remove.

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I like the microwave in the back (if I figured that correctly) ;) But seriously: looks very good to me... from afar the lower picture somehow suggests big ears to me, but looking at the picture in full size I think you did a good job there... can you show a coloured one when you're done?

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

nope, not a microwave. It's actually a slim panel digital clock with temp and calandar as well as some other stuff. It's just a thin silver thing.. essentially a toy. ;) A usefull one but still a toy..

I still have to complete all the little touch ups and what not I'm going slowly I know but once it's done I can make a final mold and then make one to paint. :) Then I can start sending them out.

So far placing that there are 4 people who are willing to buy. Gambit and George, I hope neither of you are one of those. It looks like I'll need to cast 6.

Anyone decided if they want it painted or not?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think that the sculpture looks great! I see why you had to change the horns, but it still looks like Chaos -- the faceplate makes the difference here. I love all the little details, which really sets the sculpture off. It reminds me a little of an old Citadel miniature I had of Sauron on a chair made out of bones...

I'm still honoured that you would send me one of these, and I look forward to receiving it! :-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

so who are the 4 people then? and is 20Cad? a reasonable price? I don't want people feeling ripped off..

also I need to know about paints to be sure I have enough.. also supplies to complete the model. there is the whole back peice still to put on.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I'm on - shipping costs will add to the price anyway, but with 20 dollar's there can be no discussion. About the colour ... I'd like to see what it might look like - maybe you can modify a photo on your computer to give a rough idea? For example, I think black/blue might be nice...

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

So me it's one of the 4.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

What I still don't get (and trust) is the paying system. Let me know moo if you will accept any other possibilities, I'd send you the money in advance for example if that was an option for you, but payment via Internet does not have my confidence, no matter in which form. (Hope I understood correctly what you proposed - feel free to correct me)

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PitD: I only ever had good expereiences with internet payment, be it with mere online-banking (via t-online) or paying by PayPal.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting... PitD, Have you ever paid for anything over the phone using a credit card? Or even in a shop?

Paying for stuff over the internet is actually safer than both these other situations! As long as you use reputable services (such as PayPal), which use 128-bit encryption over secure lines, there is no reason to think it's unsafe. Sure, if you use your card to pay for something on an unsecure site, or something a bit 'dodgy', you can expect there to be problems. But if you exercise good judgement, there's little or no risk.

I've been buying and selling stuff on the 'net for over four years and have never had any problems -- same for most of my friends. It's safe, go ahead, trust me! :-)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

No I haven't done either of the above. And although you may very well be right with your reasons, I still will not do it. I distrust security mechanisms. No need to discuss, it just won't happen.

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

No problem PITD. I know your worries. There always seems to be someone willing to abuse the trust given them and next thing you know some guy in India is tryign to buy 300 dollars of makeup from a company in china with your credit card (think this is a joke? happened to my Mom)

So, I imagine that money orders are the next safest method. Then there is also bank transfer but I'm not into giving my account number.. not sure what else could be done with it..

then there is cash which they say never to send in mail. after that it's personal cheque which would need to be from a bank that could transfer money to a local bank here.. it would need to be investigated.

Mainly the complications mostly come from exchange of currency type. Converting to canadian or US dollars means additional cost. Heck if the number of cash is small enough it can be even pointless as the cost of exchange could mean you are left with no more than a empty hand.

anyway.. if you have other proposals for me.. please feel free to mention them.

moo
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

NEVER ever send money via post mail. I tried to do so, at several occasions. None of it ever arrived.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I was counting on the bank transfer via Western Union... but I guess it's only fair you hav your worries too, so I'll look into the money order thing and it's implications.

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

joy of joys.. :P

I was soooo tired today that I wasn't thinking straight.. I went to take home my sculpture (the second casting that I was detailing this past while) and I left it on the ticket machine for the skytrain.. >:O

anyway.. I hope whoever found it enjoys it.. I'll have to recast from the mold which is still at work and do all of the detailing again.. I was nearly done too.. oh well, I was thinking of buying a dremel tool anyway.. :P

so... what am I saying? a little more delay.. hopefully the tool will cut my time in half and I'll have something to show soon. Won't be able to pick it up for about a week though..

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Damn, that sure is bad luck. You must be pretty ticked off! Perhaps not quite as valuable, but it reminds me of when I bought a fancy new umbrella that did everything and left it at the bus stop straight after I'd bought it... as soon as I realised, I got off the bus (one stop away), ran back, and it had already been taken...

Bunch of savages in this town...