Who's in a good starting team and why?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Mophus_the_Healer
Novice

Who's in a good starting team and why?

Post by Mophus_the_Healer »

I would prefer that people have a better responce than there status portrait. What's your favorite team and why?

Mine is:
Gothmog - He's a journeymen wizard, good to have since he already has a basic comprehension of spells.
Mophus - You need a good cleric type from the get go.
Halk/Stamm - I prefer a good brute strength in the front rows
Leyla - Good ninja skills, don't know how this differs from fighter, but I'm gonna gues that it combine a little magic with physical power.

So what's your's and why?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Halk and Stamm - two good fighters upfront, they'll gain the magic later. Axe comes in handy if available from stamm
Boris - good mana and magic with stamina
Wuuf - one of the greatest magic users, with brillaint mana
Mophus_the_Healer
Novice

My brother always prefered:

Stamm - Had to be strength, he's got nothing else in the begging
Tiggy - I think he used her for magic puposes
Zed - A good well rounded character to be used whereever
Wuuf - Good cleric, came with a flask
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, you just named my original preferences in my amiga days!

Wuuf is definitely good full stop - high mana, and you will find with his wisodom when you cross train he will gai nthe wizard levels better than others gain the priest levels, which tend to be easier due to the lower cost of spells

I used to like Zed too, and tiggy - tiggy for being highest mana, but her lack of health and stamina was a killer usually
Mophus_the_Healer
Novice

I really miss the amiga, it's a shame they don't make computers like that anymore. That thing had excellent art programs and educational games and even better rpgs. Does anyone remember IT CAME FROM THE DESSERT I/II. Man those were great. We never did get to beat two though.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

ich prefer chani and wu tse as mages. i usually play with 2 characters, so thats my whole party ;)
chani has incredible wisdom!
if usings fighters, i prefer alex, eliya or hissssa. i mostly train all 4 characters in all disciplines at least to expert level.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I prefer the classical 2 front pigs + 2 firepower characters combination.
My first team back in old Amiga days was Hissssa&Stamm+Elija&Tiggy first and Hissssa&Stamm+Wuuf&Tiggy later, for the MS-DOS.PC version I changed to Hissssa&Darouu+Wuuf&Tiggy. In RTC I changed again, and this is my favourite party for a long time now (although possible in RTC I never used characters from the CSB dungeon for DM1):

1) Hissssa, having the best stats profile for a fighter, he also became a good spellcaster too.
2) Halk, also having a very good stats profile for a fighter, his initial lack of spellcasting ability can be made up later
3) Wuuf, having much Mana for spellcasting purposes and a high Dex to be my prime ninja, which is useful in the begining of the game, when I still resort to ranged arms.
4) Tiggy, being my fireball favourite due to her high Mana, and I don't mind her weak health. If you are quick and nimble with the party movement, you won't have her dying.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I seem to recall playing Hawk, Hissssa, and I can't remember who as Wizard and Priest back when I was likw six and played on the Atari. I think I had Boris sometimes though, and I can remember finishing the game with Azizi in my second slot because she was dead at the time. Sonja was a popular choice, but I think it was mainly my dad who used her. Increasing her mana wasn't the problem it suddenly became when we got RTC, 'cause back then you could cast a single symbol and get a skill increase :). Also, we never Reincarnated, only Ressurrected.
But anyway, this time round, my team has been...
Hissssa - Strong, lots of hps, bit crap mana but enough for one spell after a rest. One of my favourites from before (ie on the Atari) Cool pic, ie not human.
Gothmog - Good mana, erm...not bad hp...erm...can't remember. Cool pic, ie not human.
Wuuf - Lovely mana, crap hp but he's a Wizzy so it's okay. Flask to give to my Priest. Cute pic, also not human. Named him after my favoutire Gnoll :D.
Gando - Didn't look too bad to serve as a Priest. Was one of the few Priesty-types who didn't look human.
I don't like humans, they're smeggy. This party served me well, although the first time I got to CSB with these guys, Fippy still only had about 51hp, so I started DMO again (with the same team, of course), and let him and Stumpy take the front row when dealing with Screamers. I'd have spent longer at the Screamer room but for some reason there seems to be hardly any there, despite leaving it for hours before coming back. The same is true of the Rat room (never seems more than two or three there at a time), although I tended to Fireball those guys.
Anyway, yeah, that's now my preferred party.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Daroou with Stamm Up front followed by Tiggy and Zed at the back.

Getting Daroou up to at least LO master Wizard before the end of DM is always good fun. Use the wand from tiggy to cast his first light spells and he actually does alright :)
Regards,

Andy
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

andyboy_uk wrote:Daroou with Stamm Up front followed by Tiggy and Zed at the back.

Getting Daroou up to at least LO master Wizard before the end of DM is always good fun. Use the wand from tiggy to cast his first light spells and he actually does alright :)
I agree, I like Darou too. He gains his levels quickly and is also very cute :-)
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I've always considered the best all-round characters as Leif, Chani, Zed and Daroou. They're easy to train for all skills plus their stats are good.
Mophus_the_Healer
Novice

I don't really like Zed to much, I thought he would be great because he was well rounded but he's realy flimsy, he can't hold to much and he ain't that goo as a fighter.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

My original favourites were Chani (wisdom!), Gothmog (cool pic, normally develops nicely as a mage later on), Elija (good allround magician) and Wu Tse (same reason). Later on I balanced the system up a bit by taking Daroou or Zed Duke in to get at least some fighting power but I still prefer the mages.

Seeing my preferences you can guess that the CSB areas where you can't or shouldn't use magic if you don't want to get hurt yourself came as a nasty surprise... ;)

Regards, PitD
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I've never really been a fan of Gothmog. He's very unlucky, his food goes down too fast and it's difficult to train him as a fighter and ninja. Oh and you can use fireballs in the "No Fireballs" room just as long as the creatures are immediately in front of you, then they will get blasted, if not the fireballs will turn round and hit you.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you must be kidding me.. Gothmog makes ana awesome ninja!! I sat him in the back of the party and I would launch spells If I had them and thrown weapons if I did not. He was my first master ninja. As for food, if you improve his preist and ninja levels those improve as well.

Oh, and my team most frequently is either syra, gothmog, and Nabi.. then I pick a good figther.. I had started with Halk, then moved up to Stamm then settled finally on Daroou. Though I've used most the other characters at different given times. Wuuf if we want to get down to pigs.. that little pup can pack it away.. tiggy too.

moo
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Hmmm, I've always found it easy training characters like Chani and Gando when it comes to ninjas. Also, his look is not terribly high at 30. Although I don't know if that's worth mentioning because some of the characters I seem to find luckiest have 35 though when I first examined the luck scores, I thought "Chani, Syra and Zed will be high" and they were.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i just checked the character list including luck - that explains my choices very much, for syra and leyla used often used to be alternative choices and i could never explain why - the same way, i didnt like boris or gothmog too much...
wuuf and chani are of course the best, as they are the best characters anyways (in my old list, wu tse was 1st, but the was luck missing), but they have style, too :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I dunno, I guess it has as much to do with playing style as anything too. I found life rather easy with my regular teams. I have to admit I picked halk nabi and syra since they are in the manual. However, gothmog always visually appealed to me. Plus the fact he is a journeyman wizard to start. Wuuf appealed to me as well but he kept dying of starvation on me in the areas like the worms section and what not.. so it tainted my view of him. there are a few characters I've not used for a real team for whatever reason.. generally no real appeal. Chars like Mophus, azizi, that red haired guy.. whatever his name is.. and some others I don't remember the names of. Being a rather visual based person I guess it tainted my early choices.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i completed DM with each char at least once - but hard to compare them to each other, because i changed my playing style very often, following different aims:
-toe to toe fighting
-hit and run
-only/no magic
-speed
-high characterlevels/life/mana
-only one or two characters
-exotic run (i used the 4 chars i used the least before: azizi, gando, leif and iaido)
etcetc
but somehow, wuuf and chani end up in the most parties ;)
next to gothmog, i remember nabi, hawk, boris or linflas (stamina - ARGH!) as worst characters.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I never much liked the small guys since I had similar problems with them starving on me (be it Wuuf, Gando or Tiggy) - I guess a big part of the choice was based on visual impression and wisdom.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oddly in RTC i've found Hawk to be a great character...haven't played him enough in PC DM to how different he is...

I never noticed Wuff being thta much of a food hog, maybe I picked a party full of them! So he's always been my personal favourite for speed of gaining levels
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I should give it another try then I guess. Maybe the party with characters less plaed mentioned in this thread earlier on would be a nice idea for a change...

Regards, PitD
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

I have to think way, way back to remember a party I played without reincarnating everyone. I think, back then, I used Zed a lot because of his well-rounded abilities. Having a fascination with the reptilian, I tended to pick Hisssa a lot as well. After that, I used Gothmog (cool name) and Nabi a fair amount.

But I haven't played with resurrected characters for over ten years. In all that time, I've reincarnated anyone I use, whether I play through with one character, two characters (the second one acting as pack horse), or a full complement of four.

That's funny; I just realized I've never played through the game with just three characters...

In any case, when reincarnating characters you (of course) don't care about levels. But I also don't care about the amounts of health, mana, or stamina - these can all be increased pretty easily (playing a reincarnated Halk solo is a cute challenge for the first couple of levels). What is important is considering the ability scores, because those are the hardest to increase in the game. Once again, I find that some of my choices from way back when were the right ones, if for the wrong reasons: Hisssa has the highest combined scores of any character, and Gothmog is way up there. Now, Hisssa, to me, is much the better choice because his stats lean toward the physical...and most importantly, strength. Strength is perhaps the most important stat in the game, for me...for the simple reason of carrying capacity! The first half of the dungeon is replete with food; you need to have someone strong to lug around three or four chests full of food until you can drop it off in the "elevator" (that is, the skeleton key stairway).

For this reason, the characters with the highest strengths are the most valuable, to me. It's easy to get Halk to be, say, a MON MASTER Wizard, but it's aggravatingly difficult to get Tiggy or Wuuf to have a strength of 60. So, by that token, the ideal four character party would be: Hisssa, Halk, Sonja and Stamm, all reincarnated.

As for luck? Luck is much too fluid to use as a criterion for choosing a character, since it changes in every combat.

Seeker19
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

You should chance a look at the competitions going on - at the DM Encyclopedia you can also download and view the files of those games (they need the CSBwin engine) - most of them were played with one character only and at incredible speed... awesome!

Regards, PitD