Dragon Flight by Thallion software

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
twinfalls
Journeyman

Dragon Flight by Thallion software

Post by twinfalls »

This was an old game for the Atari ST. I could not finish it. I found a Thallion software in Germany but they are not the same. It is likely, I will never know the end of this game.......can you put an end to my agony ?
Zyx
DSA Master

Thalion Webshrine

Post by Zyx »

There is a very nice Webshrine maintained by
Alexander Holland.
(Search for Thalion Webshrine).
There is an English-Amiga version or a German-PC version downloadable for now, but they were working on an English PC version last year.
I never finished the game either, it was bugged (french version...)
Several of the most beautiful musics made on Amiga or Atari!
twinfalls
Journeyman

Thalion

Post by twinfalls »

I downloaded the German version for PC.
Cannot play it cuz it is protected by means of passwords that one must pick from the manual. I do have a manual with my Dragon Flight French version....no good for a German version game asking for german passwords.
BTW the English version for PC seems not available, in case it will, it better be with an English manual or a file giving English passwords.
Many .....years ago I played the French version...got stuck cuz bugs: 1 bad german to french translation that makes puzzle riddle unsolvable 2 a man at Pegana that was supposed to translate runes from the elves village, the man only talks about potions. 3 a house i cannot get in at the elves village.
Tought luck, this game was good, real good.
Cheers
Zyx
DSA Master

bug me!

Post by Zyx »

Yes, I had the same bug about the runes. God I tried all tricks imaginable to get this old man to translate the runes. Even then, I managed to go a little further than allowed, by completing the Eltam (the runic wand). When I left a dungeon which had a piece of the Eltam, I swapped the disks quckly to make it save on another disk the emptied dungeon, then I entered it again with the original disk. Anyway I eventually got stuck.
I tried the PC german version (I got the german manual) on some site, but my german is poor...
I also tried the emulated amiga version, but I can't save.
Shall I complete this cursed, beloved game some day?
twinfalls
Journeyman

Eltam, Unicorn, Netaldur.

Post by twinfalls »

Yes I remember the Eltam, there were several parts to assemble. Can't say whether I got all parts.
I got stuck at a unicorn blocking the way in a narrow valley, the beast was undestructable, I had very powerfull stuff: a stone staff casting energy from gems, no way to arm that unicorn guarding, I guess, access to the dragon(s) lair.
Another frustrating guy: Netaldur, a dwarf in the aquatic garden...he does'nt want to open his door, he wants a party with pure souls, I did everything to show him decent clean heroes...no way in at mister Netaldur.
Zyx
DSA Master

at least!

Post by Zyx »

I finally managed to play dragonflight in english with WinUAE. After fiddling a little with the config, I had the fight part working. The only crash so far is with animations (the King of Scatterbone annoyed by a bug - must be the one causing the crash :-) ) and a sound crash, quite unfrequent, when I tarry in a shop or the inventory screen.

Yes, I reached the unicorn too. Couldn't pass it either.
The pure soul guy in the island needed a 500-characters-point party. You gain character points by giving scroll to your master (20 points if i'm not wrong) and by giving money to beggars (1 point). You lose points by attacking fleeing creatures.
Anyway I managed to enter his house, only to find out that I wasn't far enough in the plot to have use of his knowledge.
twinfalls
Journeyman

Dragon Flight

Post by twinfalls »

Congratulations, about running the English version.
Tell me about your findings. If you feel it's of no interest on this board, write to: twinfalls@netcourrier.com
The pure soul dwarf, Mr Netaldur.
I tried giving to beggars and not killing fleing monsters to have a pure soul party. I did not go far enought into this....like giving 500 times to beggers. I did not understand what givings scrolls to Dombrano was good for. Do you remember the information given by Netaldur ?
Zyx
DSA Master

findings...

Post by Zyx »

About Netaldur the dwarf mage, I remember him asking me for a book I didn't have(Kolbralon's book?)
In the town in the SW Island (with the unicorn), you learn that the unicorn is cursed by the crystal, that you have to destroy the crystal, and that crystal destroys crystal. I tried however to destroy it with the crystal blade, in vain.

For now I complete the 4 first dungeons, I got the grapes juice (not the real name but i don't want to spoil it) to save the king of Scatterbone. But I guess he'll have to wait for an emulator handling his animation!

Good news: the Elkamur's bug is gone in the english version, so I know at least what those runes are saying...

Anyone knows the name of the dungeon of the desert? I thought it was Sertyk, but no, it's the dungeon near Stormwind...
twinfalls
Journeyman

Half ton . Sertyk

Post by twinfalls »

I see you have the drug to cure the king of scatterbone.
I got stuck on a riddle from a stone wise ass. I know he wants some sort of liquid that has to do with insects or wine or alcool. I tried hundreds of substances...No luck. This is deep in a dungeon, I guess here is the cure for the king.
At the Kolbralon dungeon at the deepest level there is supposed to be a book hidden there, I checked everyting there,,,no book. Must be the book that Netaldur wants ? Hope you find this book here in the English version.
Got stuck at the desert's dungeon too. Sertyk is the pass for another dungeon.
Zyx
DSA Master

news from the front

Post by Zyx »

With the runic notes translated, I could access the Shadow's refuges and got a weapon against statues and guardian, and could free the elven council. As a reward, they gave me the names of several dungeons, including the one of the desert. And they sign the treaty with the orcs, which gave me something like 250 characters points...
Yes, I got the grapes juice from the dungeon you're talking about. And now I know what was in Kolbralon, level 14: "Eldanur's note" (guarded by guardians, stautes and balrons)
So I went to the Trolian Island to see him, and he gave me the Book of Knowledge!

So far, the only bugs I encountered are:
-Guardians are not visible, but I still can kill them
-Halfton animation crashes (probably due to emulation).
However I tricked the game by duplicating one piece of Eltam which was the important reward of this quest.
-The riddles messages in Mortyk dungeon are messed up; I can't answer "Mortyk" to enter the dungeon. Nevermind, I duplicated the Dragonring also in another dungeon.
-The animation in dorithannon valley crashes. I don't need to go there anyway.

So, right now, I still have to reenter the Shadow refuge, free the licorn and enter the valley of Dragons, and more inmediately I'll reach for the secrets (too soon?) of the Black Magic by eating some fungi...

It's a very nice feeling to dialogue with the young boy I was by reading my notes and maps...
twinfalls
Journeyman

Happy new year

Post by twinfalls »

What's new from Dragon Flight.
Zyx
DSA Master

Neverending story?

Post by Zyx »

Well, I manage to free the unicorn with a shard of crystal. There is a nice animation, *working* on WinUAE, and I entered the valley of Dragons. I found the very last dungeon, and when entering it there's a animation *not working*. Quite a disappointing end, eh?
Quido
Neophyte

DragonFlight vs WinUAE

Post by Quido »

I tried to run the HD version of DF, but I failed. Could you send me your configuration file and place here some instruction how to run it? Do you use WHDLoad? I managed to run DF using WHD, but the game crashes after the introduction... I thought I would play the disk version but the disk-switching at every fight was very annoying. DF is very good game but this problem with impossibility to play HD version discourages most of people. It would be a praiseworthy deed to publish the explicit procedure how to run the English HD ver. of DF with WinUAE! Thank you in advance. Q
Zyx
DSA Master

Running DF...

Post by Zyx »

I don´t think I have the configuration anymore, but I'll send you what I'll find - in a week or two. Give me an email!
I played DF with the Amiga .adf on WINUAE. I´ll check which version of WinUAE I was using. I didn't felt very bothered because of the disk swapping. It happens only once when loading the game, then almost never.
twinfalls
Journeyman

Running DragonFlight

Post by twinfalls »

I never dared to try Atari/Amiga emulation alone in the dark.
If it's not too much on your time, whenever you have ready made instructions to run the game, I am interested.
twinfalls@netcourrier.com
Zyx
DSA Master

Old stuff

Post by Zyx »

I found some of my files and the UAE configuration. I used WINUAE8.88B. The whole files are 2Mo (WinUAE, Dragonflight, kickrom31, config). Do you want them all or just the config?
twinfalls
Journeyman

Files

Post by twinfalls »

Please send me all files in a .zip file.
I tried the german version after I got the german manual that I needed to know the passwords.
Got 4 problems
-passwords only work about 40%.
-game freezes regularly to restart after some timeout.
-game bugged at the end of first dungeon: dungeon became wrong, no way out.
-I do not understand german.
Hope I'll get more luck with the English version + 68000 emulator.
What about passwords for the English version. All I have is what is on Thalion webshrine: few pages, beginning of english manual. Will this be good enough ?
Zyx
DSA Master

Passwords

Post by Zyx »

No problem, it's a cracked version, as the original couldn't be emulated.
I sent you the files. Enjoy!
twinfalls
Journeyman

DF

Post by twinfalls »

I got two files Dflight.rar and Dflight.r00.
WinRar does not decompress. It says "Unknown method in file" for all 5 files. WinRar does see 5 files KICK31.ROM, aADF,bADF,Dragonflight.UAE,WinUAE088R8.exe.
I checked Compression/decompression for my WinRar install. All seems well.......
Zyx
DSA Master

Ooops

Post by Zyx »

Err, I think I used a beta version of winrar 3.0. You can get it easily with a search on the web with "download winrar"
twinfalls
Journeyman

WinRAR

Post by twinfalls »

I used WinRAR version 2.71
Zyx
DSA Master

Use winrar 3.x

Post by Zyx »

It won't work with winrar 2.x! Sorry.
twinfalls
Journeyman

WinUAE

Post by twinfalls »

I got DragonFlight running with your files..
However, it is very unstable, sound and display ugly, extremly slow,mouse click is painful.
My puter has a AMD K6-2 300 MHz with 96Mo RAM.
Is it powerfull enough to expect good results ?
I have no experience with emulator. I tried other setting for no better results than with your configuration. Should I try more ? What am I doing all wrong.
Sorry I have no esperience with emulators.
Zyx
DSA Master

let me have a try

Post by Zyx »

I'll have a try at home. I hope I will be able to find quickly what's going wrong on your computer (its specs are way enough!), because I'm travelling tomorrow!
Cheers
Zyx
DSA Master

2nd try

Post by Zyx »

I sent you another config file. You may have more luck this time.