Killing the dragon in 0,1 sec

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Mark
Neophyte

Killing the dragon in 0,1 sec

Post by Mark »

Hi there,

I am a new to this forum but an "old" Dungeon Master player (I bought the game on the Atari ST 20 years ago and have actually started playing the Windows version - still a fantastic gaming experience).

There is a special trick to slay the dragon in an instant.
It is a ninja way of doing it.
If you fall down a pit and exactly land on the spot where the dragon is sitting in its lair, it is immediately dead.
This also works when using the rope, so you do not even have to fall.
The setback is that you need some luck to accomplish this.
In DM the dragon lair is quite vast, so don't rely on this feat.

But in CSB you can well get rid of the dragon under the Diabolical Demon Director this way, because this dragon lair is quite small and the chances are much higher that you find the dragon on the spot you are falling/climbing.

Unfortunately you can't kill the dragon by squeezing it with a wall (pulling the lever when the dragon is where the wall appears/reappears on lv 14 after using the winged key).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Yes, this is a well known method of dispatching the Dragon, although apparently in some later versions of the game the 'bug' was corrected, preventing it from being possible: if the game detected you were trying to jump on the poor Dragon's head, it would move him out of the way so he could have his revenge! :)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Be funnier if he just looked up and opened his mouth. Or if he blew a fireball up through the pit. Mod, anyone?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You could actually do that in CSBwin, no problem :D
Mark
Neophyte

Post by Mark »

Funny that it happened to me on the ST version (the first time I wondered where all the dragon steaks came from all of a sudden) and lately in CSB as well. :D
But other players obviously also have experience with this way of dragonslaying ...
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

The monsters get their revenge in DM2. Not too uncommon to have an Axeman jump out of a tree and land on your party.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I feel so "left out" on this "dropping in on the dragon" experience.

Actually, by the time I went to that (what, the 13th?) floor,
I had my speed up enough to just keep walking to the left or right and turning,
to slowly "wack the dinosaur rex (that didn't look like a dragon to me)"
upside the head until he expired.

I remember the first time I found a dragon steak.
I believe it's on the "rat regeneration" floor, to the left of the "what's underfoot is soon overhead" area.

The whole "gobs and gobs of dragon steaks" left over after killing the "only" dragon, was a letdown, as I recall.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm usually still so laden down with drumsticks and Screamer slices that I just leave the Dragon steaks on the floor anyway. I do take the one on Level 9 though...end up sticking it in one of my chests of drumsticks and leaving it there for the remainder of the game ;).
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I haven't had the pleasure of playing for a number of years,
but I intend to "wuuf down" some rat steaks soon. :wink:

I saved the skeleton keys, and used one of them on the floor just before dropping to the "flying eye" section (where you encounter the first of the scorpions, I believe).

That has a long hall, plus a large section of floor outside that hall,
and a nice room with a water fountain to the left (to boot).
This was my favorite "later" place to "drop" everything in neat little piles.
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's a very intelligent place to use a key, the rats in a nearby room regenerate, as you say there is a fountain, and that small room is a safe store for your excess baggage. Home sweet home :D
Inanity
Craftsman

dm

Post by Inanity »

MasterWuuf wrote: That has a long hall, plus a large section of floor outside that hall,
and a nice room with a water fountain to the left (to boot).
Yeah, and "outside" the screamer "room" on level three was my favorite "place" to "drop" everything in the "earlier" stages of "the" game.

I would often consolidate my piles near the stairs on the firestaff level so I could hoard my horde for a while before finishing off chaos. Once the expressway was open, you'd have quick access to almost any part of the dungeon (provided you'd found all the keys), so it was fun to run around picking up everything left behind or missed.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

What's with all the inappropriate quotation marks????
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Beo already noticed "it" some time ago in Ajax Chat. The quotation marks will take over the world!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

It's just "my way" of "setting things off" in my sentences. :lol:

I don't do the "quote marks with my hands" thing, like the nerd on Friends, at least. :wink:

Sorry, I'll try to wean myself from using them. Any better options for expressing a lift in voice?

P.S. I think the word unnecessary would be more correct than inappropriate.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

He, he, well, if we're being picky about over use of "", I might as well continue..

Masterwuuf, in this sentence the quotes are completely unnecessary:
They make sense in your other sentences in this thread, more or less, but in some places you could use italics for emphasis, as there's a difference between that and making references using "".
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The man uses 'capital' letters and 'periods'.
Let us 'rejoice' in that.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm a fussy old sod, aren't I? :D
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

MasterWuuf wrote: P.S. I think the word unnecessary would be more correct than inappropriate.
I think inappropriate is the more appropriate word... un-necessary implies that the grammar is still technically correct with the quotes (which it isn't).

If I had written the above sentence as follows:
I think "inappropriate" is the more appropriate word [...]
Then we could call the quotation marks unnecessary, but not inappropriate.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Why not write it as:
I think 'inappropriate' is the more appropriate word [...]
It is not a quotation.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

double quotes forever !

"see ?"
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Code: Select all

It  is  astonishing how effectively "offensive" typography can be.
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

Paul Stevens wrote:Why not write it as:
I think 'inappropriate' is the more appropriate word [...]
It is not a quotation.
Yeah that seems more appropriate now that you mention it.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

O.K. I'll try to get over the 'lazies' and hopefully stop using the "" marks inappropriately. :wink:

Actually, I was using `' earlier, and still don't know why. It was easier to use the quotation marks. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Oh well, I need to clean up my keyboard activity.

I stand 'rightfully' corrected.

P.S. The appropriate word would probably be 'incorrect' in the above case. :oops:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Kliber
Apprentice

Post by Kliber »

LOL, I recall the "drop into the pit and fall over the dragon" trick, a friend of mine discover it by accident and I did the same by luring the dragon under a pit near the stairs and using a ring of time to freeze it till climbed the stairs and drop in the pit, a classic....
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

Yeah! Stupid dragon!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh no! How cruel!

He's just an old and poor fellow! Imagine him, sitting all day, alone, in the most deep cell of the dungeon, nothing to do, nobody to talk to... and then, suddenly, without any warning, someone drops from the ceiling and smashes him into dozens of pieces! I think he's the saddest creature in the whole DM.

I feel so sorry for him every time. I've always been able to kill him just by dancing around and kicking his arse, without receiving any damage from him... but sometimes I just stop for a while and let him hit me once or twice, just to make him feel better, you know, the last (and maybe the only) happy moment in his life.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Jan wrote:Oh no! How cruel!

He's just an old and poor fellow! Imagine him, sitting all day, alone, in the most deep cell of the dungeon, nothing to do, nobody to talk to... and then, suddenly, without any warning, someone drops from the ceiling and smashes him into dozens of pieces! I think he's the saddest creature in the whole DM.

I feel so sorry for him every time. I've always been able to kill him just by dancing around and kicking his arse, without receiving any damage from him... but sometimes I just stop for a while and let him hit me once or twice, just to make him feel better, you know, the last (and maybe the only) happy moment in his life.

And he/she is 'cranky' too. Always clearing his/her sinuses at visitors. How unpleasant. Too bad there isn't a Clariton bomb. The poor, lonely thing would probably turn into a shaggy dog and try to lick everyone to death. :lol:

P.S. I can't believe I hadn't thought of the 'freeze life' boxes, so I could run up the stairs and 'drop in unexpectedly' on Old Hoarse Throat.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The dragon must've had a few more satisfying moments earlier in life, unless all those bone piles were just chucked in from above by someone else ;).
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

And he/she is 'cranky' too. Always clearing his/her sinuses at visitors. How unpleasant. Too bad there isn't a Clariton bomb. The poor, lonely thing would probably turn into a shaggy dog and try to lick everyone to death. :lol:

P.S. I can't believe I hadn't thought of the 'freeze life' boxes, so I could run up the stairs and 'drop in unexpectedly' on Old Hoarse Throat.
Your quotes are still bugging me... call it a pet peeve. Your quote marks are neither necessary, appropriate, nor correct. If you took them out, your writing would be pretty good.

If you're thinking that the single quote marks are okay because of the above exchange between Paul Stevens and me, then you misunderstood.
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

Jan wrote:Oh no! How cruel!

He's just an old and poor fellow! Imagine him, sitting all day, alone, in the most deep cell of the dungeon, nothing to do, nobody to talk to...
No one to pick his nose! No one to tickle his toes!