A meeting this year for the 20th birthday of Dungeon Master?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

When would you like to meet?

September 1-2
No votes
September 8-9
80%
September 15-16
No votes
September 22-23
No votes
September 29-30
20%

Total votes: 5

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Linflas is still gay. *sniggers*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That is true, it does depend when it is - if it's a weekend then that's fine, but as you close in on the end of december I will just have no time at all. Then again, I guess I lose a chunk of September too. Just whenever I guess! :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I don't think December is such a good idea. Traditionally, the end falls flat because of Christmas and New Year's Eve obligations, and the first few weeks are often packed with Christmas shopping or stress at work. So in general, I'd suggest September.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i'm in thailand from 09/29 to 10/20 so september is fine for me except the 29th.
do you know any gay bar in london where we could meet ? :)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

So. before finally deciding some day between september first and September eighth - does it matter to anyone who wants to attend, whether we meet on a weekend or not? Because if we need a weekend, we'd only have the choice between 2 dates, if Beo could be there at all on September 8th considering he intends to go to India on the 9th. The first on the other hand is possible for me but not really good considering that I'm stuck in exam stress until including August 30th.
So, is September 2nd to 7th an option too, or is anyone among us unable to attend outside a weekend?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Atm I've got no idea as to whether I'll be busy at any point in the future - I have no plans for September atm but there's no knowing whether something'll come up which might suddenly make me busy at that time. But if it's in London, I imagine I'll be able to make it somehow since it's only about 40-45 mins on the train for me (to Victoria anyway) ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I am very close to London so during the week is ok, I could maybe even try to get out early from work and late to work the next day.

So 2 - 7th is not outwith possibility, except that during the week means no full days for some of us I guess!

I could try to push a day or two off - I am already at my limit, but could try to push for it.
zurman
Neophyte

Post by zurman »

Hey guys, I'm back again :D

Glad to see that this idea is still alive. London in September might actually be OK for me, but rather late September than early September.

I will try to update the list of interested people, with their favorite date. I also add a poll.

We also have to think about what we are actually going to do during the meeting...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, I think as discussed all of those options don't work for many people - Lunever is barely out of exam hell by that weekend, and any time later I am away, until the 29th when linflas is away

I think the last timing in play was the September week, 2nd - 7th
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Beo: Just to make sure - the 8th is not possible for you I assume?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, I just checked and I actually fly out on the 8th to ensure I can start the package on the 9th :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I don't have to be there - don't let my high post count fool you :D
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Am I allowed to vote if I know for a fact I won't be in Europe?

Seriously, has anyone considered setting up a video conference for us non-Europeans? If so, I would buy a web cam. Barring that, footage would be rockin'.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Tom Hatfield wrote:Am I allowed to vote if I know for a fact I won't be in Europe?

Seriously, has anyone considered setting up a video conference for us non-Europeans? If so, I would buy a web cam. Barring that, footage would be rockin'.
Thats a good idea, I have an old web cam that has just been gathering dust.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Right, next try: How about Friday September 7th?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Tight but doable!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, friday would allow the non-UK people to extend their trip to London throughout the weekend.

Beo: If "tight but doable" means the 7th is ok with you, I suggest the 7th. If it means you'd prefer something less tight I suggest the 6th.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It means I will be in london with you lot the 7th then flying out at 9.55am on the 8th.

I have no holidays left anymore, so will need to see what I can do pushing for some non-paid days or something :( . If the 6th is also a possibility, cool
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I really don't know my availability at this stage. While it would be cool to meet some more of you, I have to say that I'm not massively interested in the idea unless we really do something to properly mark the anniversary.

Personally, I'm of the notion that any anniversary should at least include some of FTL. I think it's kinda pointless otherwise.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

anniversary should at least include some of FTL
ooh that would be great to meet with them! could you contact with them, Gambit? if they couldn`t come, we could at least invite them to the flashchat.
I think they would be interested. Doug Bell and the rest spent two years very very hard working on the greatest game of the universe in its time.. and, more important, it succeeded!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Then I hereby suggest the 6th.

Gambit: Well, having a date set might help in choosing an activity. It's certainly better than choosing an activity limited to a date where no one of the regulars has time. Since the date issue seems to be almost settled, we might these days find something worthwhile to do. Of course having someone from FTL attend would be great, and certainly a reason to change the date if necessary, but I don't know how to make that happen. After all, only a few of us ever had contact with them.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I haven't contacted anyone from FTL for over three years. But I'm sure their contact details are still valid. The problem for me is that I don't want to do that until I have shown to Mr.Bell that I have actually done something with all the information and time he gave me way back... Yes, this means DM Codex, and yes, this means it WILL happen, despite all my previous misgivings and changes of heart over it.

I am hoping to have something up later this year but it probably won't be until after September-- the next few months I will be busy starting a new life and don't want to spend any more time on the computer than is necessary. I do have a new design and a new structure in place which is now locked down -- it's just a question of creating all the content now.

Given my position about contacting FTL, I propose we go ahead with our own anniversary in September as planned (although I'm not sure I will be able to attend), and we also start thinking about a 21st Anniversary for 2008 with the involvement of FTL of which I put myself forward to arrange.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

This seems to have gone quiet - was the 6th in play?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yeah, everybody interested in actually meeting - how about the 6th?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Just give me a date and a location and I'll be there.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

If this does go ahead, you can count me in. :)
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

hmm possable skype chat?(skype is like online chat with web cam), again for non UK fans. In either event Good luck, wish i could attend, money time and work make it harder then killing a dragon bare handed with no class levels.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

6th of September 2007:

Skype etc .. depends on what we do and where exactly.

Since the time where I should starting to look for a cheap flight isn't that far away anymore, I'd like be a bit more sure, whether I'll not be the only one coming.

So, Trantor you're in I suppose? Seems I'll take a flight from Hahn with Ryan air, and you?

Gambit - Hope you will be there too? You sound a bit indecisive, yet you are among the very few who live closest, so I hope we'll meet again. Loved the days in Brighton and think that a couple of days in London will be fun too.

Andyboy: Are you reading this? After all you live pretty close too.

Beo and Linflas: Considering that we tried to find a date that will fit into your plans, can we count on you?

Ameena: How about you, I suppose it wouldn't be too much of distance for you either?

Copperman? Hey pal, are you reading this? Manchester isn't that far either. It'd be a sad thing to go to UK without meeting you!

Anyone else I forgot, see above!

Come on people, don't let this opportunity starve!!!

Cu soon, hopefully in real!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yep, my boss seems to be happy with letting me have unpaid holidays so I can see what I can do with regards the Friday - although I still need packing and prep time for flying out Saturday.

Further, I have spare savings, so if everyone is up for spending money on flights, then I guess in return I can put somehtign forward to booking us a small venue or somehting. Just book a suite for an evening or sooooooooomething darn it.

Anywya, Gambit is semi-incomunnicado for internet for a few weeks, though I can text him stuff. Unless I get distracted, if I try to look at stuff for the weekend and maybe even phone him, and start giving you guys some plans and options then?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sounds like a plan. Lunever, I don't know yet how I will get there. Oh, and Skype would be pretty interesting to use before the meeting anyway... :wink: