bi-weekly challenge due june 18

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

bi-weekly challenge due june 18

Post by cowsmanaut »

I think I may have goofed on the last one and made it one week.. but alas.. it's ok.

I didn't manage to do anything so I owe two now :P

This weeks challenge?

Infernal machinery.. something that is either useless or over complicated in design. Rube Goldberg comes to mind..

can't find something that already exists? photo colage, drawing, 3D, etc.. all fair game.

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I drew by hand the 'slice of hand/not slice off hand' system of pulleys in the sorcery book two, but don't have it here to scan...that would have been appropriate...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"...useless or over complicated in design."
Wallace springs instantly to mind ;). Him and Krynnish gnomes...
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I give you the Honda mountain bike. Nope, it doesn't have an engine!

http://www.esmtb.com/img/news/20040120_honda02.jpg
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hopefully I will draw something for this...but it's been bloody hot recently and every time I think "Ooh I should do a pic for the latest contest", I also think "Bah I won't be able to hold the bloody pencil..." :P.
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh bum we're too late now aren't we...what's the date...argh I dunno but I think we're past the deadline now. I had thought of part of an idea and tonight actually came up with how I'd probably have done it (and gawd it would've taken ages but been about the only way I could show it neatly)...but meh it's kinda late now lol.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, it's not up yet.. still got a days worth.. untill midnight my time..

so about untill 8am your time on the 19th
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh, well it's erm...five to two in the morning, my time...and I'll be getting up at sevenish following a rather spontaneous decision to go to Chessington even though we'd previously decided we were gonna go to Howletts.
Otherwise I might've had a go lol. Sorry I didn't get round to doing anything for this one :(.
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Yeah, sad. Not a single submission.
At least I got to know that such things exist (crazy machinery).

What should we do? Let it run another week , or skip it altogether?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I was dealing with some stuff and couldn't find the time or inspiration for this.. even though when i posted it I was..

I'll give all some time to think up some suggestions for the next one and we'll go with that.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Aww okay...I was gonna do some really long complex, over-the-top (and of course entirely pointless) DM-style trap which involved an insane amount of pressure pads, items being moved/thrown/dropped by various mechanisms, probably resulting in a bunch of big Fireballs hurling themselves at the player who stepped on the original trigger some time before ;). And since that's rather a complicated thing to show in a single picture, I was gonna maybe do one of my fantastically crap stick-man-style animations to depict it.
Of course it would've taken ages I expect, lol. Oh well, at least I had an idea ;).
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Like a Loony Tunes ACME style Death Trap?

Fun!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

anyone else want a week extention on this one?
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Hey Ameena, if you do do an outrageous and Über-complicated Dungeon trap, will you save it as an RTC Dungeon.txt file (if you use RTC)?

I imagine pressure pads triggering fireballs targetting Mummies standing on pressure pads which activate teleporters which send other monsters onto other pressure pads with activate more fireball shooters which kill more monsters which stand on more pressure pads which move a wall which release a monster which will come and kill you.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol no, I wasn't gonna actually make it! I was just gonna draw it but then I thought that it'd look rather a mess on paper as a whole bunch of lines and arrows and notes and stuff showing what does what. Then I had an idea and thought that doing it as an animation would work...it wasn't gonna just use strictly DM-dungeon stuff anyway...just be DM-themed.
I hadn't planned out the whole trap, just the stepping on the initial pad by someone, then the end result of Fireballs or something being launched at 'em. I did plan one bit which was where one part spawns a Screamer which appears on a trigger which opens a pit beneath it, so it falls through and dies, leaving a Screamer Slice on a trigger there, which does something else. Like I said, it was gonna be insanely complicated and also completely stupid and pointless.
I mean, if you stepped on a big, obvious pad in a dungeon, and suddenly heard various whirring, creaking, clanking, and other such mechanical noises, wouldn't you start to worry just a bit about your safety? ;)
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Here's the plan view for such a thing in the RTC editor-- hey, consider it my entry, for whatever THAT's worth!

(An actual puzzle in SS! :razz: )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://www.utexas.edu/features/archive/ ... /rube3.jpg

not mine.. but an example all the same
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ho-ly crap!!
(My actual reaction)

Seriously, omg...what kind of puzzle needs that many...er...things? :O
If I ever get round to playing SS, I suppose I'll find out hehe ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

A really cool one - you might not recognise it when you see it, but it's cool
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Interestingly, I just started playing SS today - now I'm scared...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok so we're doing an extention I guess..
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I suppose bi-weekly is just to fast for many people interested to participate. Maybe it'd work better if you generally made it a monthly challenge.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah that might be better...also it saves having to remember "Arrgh when is the deadline for this one?" as we'll know we've got till the end of the month to do it ;).
Could therefore run this one till the end of June and start a new one next month, as we're kinda near the end of the month now anyway.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok sounds good
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Arrgh meh I don't think I'm gonna get this complicated-and-useless-thingy animation done in time...I have started it but not done much to it over the past few days. I'll probably finish it at a later date and upload it then :P.