A Game Nothing Like Dungeon Master

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chish
Apprentice

A Game Nothing Like Dungeon Master

Post by Chish »

Well, for the past few days, my friend Dan and I have been working on a game in our Computer Programming II class. As you will see if you play the game, this was not curriculum-related. We made this game in Visual Basic. It's mindless, bloody, the "graphics" are crap, and it's a good waste of time.

http://chishx.googlepages.com/bunnygame.exe. The goal is to kill the Trix Rabbit until your brain oozes out your ears.
Chish, owner of the most out-of-place Avatar on this site.
My homepage. -- Updated as of 06/11/06! Yay!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hehe, good game, but I `ve got few questions:
1. where are dead bodies of these rabbits? are they just dissapeares? I never heard about dissapearing bodies; I assume that decay of the body is sudden/instant?
2. anoyher strange thing: why are these rabbits not moving? they just appears on the screen. In real life rabbits are rather movable. The only thing I come in my mind is that they`re immobilized somehow
3. where do they come from? hundreds and thousands of rabbits? as I guess there`s an unlimited number of them. Is there some "rabbits hatchery" near?
4. what are you killing rabbits for? isn`t just a waste of time to do that, especially if they`re defenceless?
5. wherever you shoot the rabbit, he always loose his head. This is nearly impossible to be such a good shooter to shoot always in the same point, even if the victims aren`t moving.
6. IMHO if you kill 1 rabbit (and what if there`s 100 of them killed), the rest of them would be afraid to go into the range of shoot; I guess they would just go away from dangerous place. Yeah, but they are not moving, and they are .. teleported..? into the range of shoot.
7. I saw there`s only 8 or 9 positions, where the rabbits stay. Why do they like these positions only?
8. how many bullets do you have at all? because if there`s unlimited number of ammo, I guess you have a steelworks and weapon factory near
9. why are these rabbits such similar to each other? it`s impossible, unless they`re clones?

so, in a sum, I assume that there are immobilized clones of the rabbit, teleported (from a clone factory? because there`s unlimited number of them?) into one of 8 or 9 positions in range of shoot, and disappears instantly after death. The bullets are automaticly aimed (?) (wherever you`ll shoot him) into the head of the rabbit, because he always loose his head and dies in the same way. You have unlimited number of ammo and have a loooooot of time (and probably nothing else better to do), and like to kill defenceless (immobilized?) animals.
such a number of questions in such a small game! ;)
The goal is to kill the Trix Rabbit until your brain oozes out your ears.
I don`t think so. The only thing that could happen to a player after a veeery long period of time is an attack of epilepsy caused by watching appearing and disappearing objects on the screen; so maybe you could change the goal of the game to an epilepsy attack? ;) Or he might loose his consciousness, if playing more than a weak continually (I guess the game has no end, right? what is the max number of points in a counter?). This game might be dangerous! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Chish
Apprentice

Tit for tat

Post by Chish »

Hey, I only made the graphics, and only one of the two pictures at that. You'll have to ask Dan about that yourself.

Also, I'm pretty sure he made that game for people himself to have fun making it, not for it to be physically or technically accurate, nor for it to be fun to play, nor for people to waste time complaining about when he has no intentions whatsoever of making another version or improving the current version.

Futhermore, the game uses a type of variable called "Int," which as you can probably guess, stands for Interger, for scoring. However, computers, just like humans, cannot count to infinity, although they may come closer faster. Thus, Intergers are only allowed to take up a certain amount of RAM. If the variable exceeds a certain amount (I believe the number is only around a couple hundred thousand or so), the variable takes up more RAM than is allowed, the program breaks, and the user recieves an error mesage. It is unlikely that you will have a seizure within the 7 minutes or so of play time that this game truely contains, unless you have had a seizure while playing video games in the past. Still, people with epilepsy would probably not be playing random video games in the first place.

If you want more information, you will have to ask Dan, as I said before.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Tit for tat

Post by Sophia »

Chish wrote:Thus, Intergers are only allowed to take up a certain amount of RAM. If the variable exceeds a certain amount (I believe the number is only around a couple hundred thousand or so), the variable takes up more RAM than is allowed, the program breaks, and the user recieves an error mesage.
Well, not really. Integers take up four bytes, no matter what, on modern computers. If they exceed their maximum value (which is actually around two billion), they'll suddenly go negative.

You can get around this by using unsigned integers, if you don't need negative numbers. Then you can get up to four billion. If one of those gets too big, it'll just wrap around to zero.

No program will directly crash from integer overflow. However, a lot of them probably will as they can't deal with the consequences!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hey Chish, you don`t have to answer my post! it was a kind of joke :D I had nothing better to do yesterday, so my idea was to ask as much stupid questions as I can about your game, just for fun, but (luckily!) I stopped on 9th. I was curious if you`ll give me responses for them :D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Whoa! Your two smiley faces look just like each other... are they identical twins?

;)
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

Damn, it's fun to just sit back, relax, and be bizzare.
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

Coming soon: "Kill that Dumb Guy from "School Island""
Also coming soon (hopefully): bunnygame2.0 -- with sound!