Games discussion - spllit from DM as film

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Original post? Are you talking about my first post on this forum? That was at http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=24370

I forget how old I was when I first played DM on Atari ST, but I was 13 when I first played it on PC.
ParuNexus
Adept

games, players etc...

Post by ParuNexus »

Should have replied before but anyways...
oops i wrote like 12 lines about "new and old gaming". for movies the very first thing needed is a story. but it's not like holywood hasn't screwd that up before. A long time ago I tihnk reading some message board, someone said, "OMG the DOOM MOVIE is on TV". I was naive then, at this point i had no idea who bruce cambpell was or know anything about Evil dead. I realize now the person was a kid with a short attention span. those people who can't tell Army of Darkness is NOT a Doom Movie are the type who can't remember much. Which tragically I'm finding more in common with kid's now a days. Add that gaming today in general while fun and different is easier and less to remember.

getting back to games into movies. Personally I'd love to see an Animated Legacy of Kain movie. infact On a CD i have someone managed to rip trhe cut scene's from Soul Reaver 1&2, and Defiance to make this "Soul reaver Saga Part 1, 2 & 3". the serries originated from the game Blood Omen 1. spawned 5 games, BO1 was more of old style RPG, each game became more and more hack and slash action based. But the Core of the serries lies in the Story.
http://www.nosgoth.net/ the place I visit most often for LoK.

I also think that Eye of the Beholder 2, would make a good movie. Eob2 has been the favorite of the serries , provides some nice cut scenes that really could open into a movie. game play, settings etc are pretty easy to convay in a movie. Yes i know it's based off some pen and paper rpg the game itself makes it so muhc easier to deal with. While I'm all for a world to explore in gaming such things in movies really makes you regret it.

Another game that would be cool if it wasn't so damn big is DarkLands. a movie based on "some factual" Medevil info set i nthe German anicent past. the D&D type of gaming has always proved to be an easy way to make movies. Heck even doing "theater style" Or as the official word: LARP(live action role playing). It would be refreshing to see a slight more realestic version of D&D.
Sadly these are hobby games and not something the general public would go see. So enter newer stuff thqat provides both money and fan base behind it.
Ok so there is a Halo movie... Personaly I have an xbox and i think Halo francise is pointless. but that is for another thread...

ah here we go, some Dead or Alive movie :) what a fighting game does a movie? and no I don't think as bad as Streeet Fighter or Mortal Kombat movies\shows\etc... lets review for a second, Basically 4 DoA games are out, Dead or ALive 1 to 3 count "hardcore" and "ultimate" as the same. then that Doa Extreme beach vollyball. I never played any of the games till Doa3 came out. it looked like a nice fighting game. surprisingly it has something of a plausable story line! which is going to expand alot by next year. I don't expect anyone here to like Fighting games, esp 3D ones much less DoA serries.

Still hoping for a good Metroid Movie but I almost completely doubt it.
Perhaps a Soul Calibier Movie, it has an intresting premise.
another game i found recently on the xbox is Phantom Dust. This one is a LONG LONG game... almost entirely action, repetative. the selling point is the VERY strong story line.

and here is my peace offering: Each one of us is different, the people we talk to and share are different. the Prime example is that showing the DM serries to kid's. If i show that around I'd be laughed at. Yes it is tragic that those people miss out on a game Which I love but thats ok. We are here to talk aobut how we like the DM serries, a thread such as this does open a door to arguements. So you get a chance to share some other idea's besides DM.
I've been talking to someone on IM and they didn't like the fact that I Like Xbox and these newer games, esp non rpg's. but we didn't fight or get heated aobut it. So instead we talekd aobut the DM serries more.
It doesn't mater to me if you only like this game or old rpg's or whatever, More then anything play or do what you like not bash something you don't.

playing DM history... see this is where my brain has troubles, dates are never good. I tihnk i was about 8 or 9 years old when my Brother Baught DM on the Atari ST. I found the PC version around the same time i visited Dan's Site, My brother again buagh skullkeep around the first year it came out AFIK. Nexus... uh check the old messages here or at Dan's site look for uh "DMologist" postings, if not under ParuNexus. FYI: ~26.5 years old well 26.5 in about 4 weeks.
Da_Ruby
Novice

Post by Da_Ruby »

Meh HL, isnt supposed to be just a fps. If you read the back story i think the tyraps and puzzles fir quite well (although some are a right royal pain)

It was a good game. HL2 is only worth buying for CS Source
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Well, the way I see it, there can't really be a whole lot of innovation in modern games until we innovate the interface. Keyboard, mouse, joystick — that's pretty much what you have, and it seriously limits what you can do with the game itself, theme and genre notwithstanding. We pushed the envelope back in the 80's and early 90's, and now we're just revisiting old trends until the hardware changes.

I do see some innovative games these days — F.E.A.R. for presentation, Age of Empires III for mechanics — but it's nothing like what we're going to see when someone does away with the mouse altogether and lets you play with brainwaves. Then we can expect something new.

(Cows: I will treat your paranthetical clause as advice, because I'm still having trouble with expressing myself.)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

What about the Revolution's controller? -- that offers something new and is something I'd like to get my hands on -- literally.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yes, Nintendo is always the company to come up with something creative. Not everything is successful (Virtual Boy anyone?), but at least they try some innovation.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

parenthetical clause?? which is that?
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

i do still enjoy the really old games, but the only new games that drag me from them now are Bettlefield 2, Guild Wars, and Dynasty Warriors 5 XL.
Immortal Dungeoneer.