No home-page for this web site?

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

No home-page for this web site?

Post by Guest »

Hello all,

I enjoy this forum, but I cannot help to notice that there is no homepage, or at least some cool front-page images related to DM...

Is the owner MIA? :)

Mark!
mzlamal
Neophyte

that was me...

Post by mzlamal »

Just created an account but forgot to log in :)

Hello All.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Hello there,

The owner is cowsmanaut and instead of a fancy starting page there's lots of nice projects and graphics in the "creative endeavours" section... :wink:

But anyway, suggest something and maybe he'll take you up on it...
Welcome on board...

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Bah!! you caught me!!

I really do have plans to do something nice for the front page but I hate.. I absolutely HATE splash pages. I find they are pointless as theyare just an image. Front pages can contain that info while also providing the links to the content within the web page.

So unless someone can think of what else can be stored here or if perhaps that it should lead you also to other websites? collective links?

I was thinking of making a page for loading maps made by users or something.. I dunno. Anyway, I'm not making anything unless it has a purpose. :)

so if you have ideas...... ;)

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Maps would certainly be nice. Maybe if ChristopheF's encyclopedia get's included here a download area would also be nice. But if I remember correctly there's not enough space available, right?

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

dpends on the size of the maps. There is a bit of space. As I do use some for transferring stuff back and forth to work.

However, if the maps are small enough I could do something with that.

I should go take a look later.

moo
SavageMind
Neophyte

IDEA!!

Post by SavageMind »

Actually I have an idea. Make a flash portal. Starts off with a dugeon opening and the DM logo pouring out then a animated menu pops out to point you where ever you wish to go. Now where to find such a person to make this? Oooh Ooooh I know ME!!! That would make it pretty and practical.
Cairne-"Did you just kill him?"
Rigel-"Yes."
Cairne-"Why?"
Rigel-"Because he was stupid."
Cairne-"That's not a crime on this planet!"
Rigel-"It's not?"
Cairne-"No!"
Rigel-"Damn, I hate this planet!"
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hey, it may be a bit big but - is there a possibility to have a breathtaking CSBWin record like Antmen's best as a flash movie ?!? :-D
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
ParuNexus
Adept

archive endings?

Post by ParuNexus »

how aobut expand that, keep an archive for the various DM game endings? both winning, dying and alternate(Open Dungeon Door DM).

or grab the various "intro" forthe DM games and splice them into one logo. Start out with DM, shift into CSB, then like DM nexus, then DM2 :)
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

That would be cool, i think i can beat that record aswell, with patience. I can avoid getting the keys of b, but i think i would need to find the boots of speed which happens 1 game in 10, and that with nothing else going wrong takes many goes. I enjoy DM and CSB and records are pretty much all that i contibute.
ParuNexus
Adept

this website or anything?

Post by ParuNexus »

of course right now there are other sites too and this idea might be good over thereinstread of of the website here.
didn't want to sound like "here or no where".
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Sounds like a good idea. See what the moo master has to say since it's his site. Or just make a poll :)

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've been thinking about a front page and thus far I've thought that perhaps the one thing this site could best benefit from is fairly simple and based solely on what we do here. We talk about the various versions of DM.

So, I figure the front page could contain quick links to those games and the most popular dungeons. Much like we have out quicklinks to games quick links to the downloads would be a convenient place to send people to download whatever.

So like this.. RTC: latest version.. current website. and so on..

thoughts?

I would make a decent interface with regards to visuals of course but.. anyway that's the idea.

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

OK people! enough talk, lets see some ideas!

Here's my first shot across the boughs, its in powerpoint for ease (for me). I dunno why, it came across as a newspaper style, so obviously I'm not advocting this as a good or final idea.

http://www.dmjump.net/frontidea.ppt
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

What about having 3 columns with one including the name of one of the programs and a very short description, the second linking to the respective download and the thrid to additional infos like homepage or dungeons?

DM - link to encyclopedia - link to encyclopedia forums
CSBwin - link to Dianne & Paul Stevens - link to encyclopedia forums
RTC - link to www.ragingmole.com - link to encyclopedia forums

+ a little more graphics which I'm not good at ;o)

Still place for the newspaper part!

Regards, PitD
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

OK people! enough talk, lets see some ideas!
I have replaced the empty homepage with a page based on Beowuuf's idea and text. Look at it, make propositions or make changes yourself if you have permissions.

http://www.dungeon-master.com/
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

The link in the "Why? Originality" section is broken, it points to dmeb instead of dmweb.

Nice front page there though Christophe. Im afraid I dont have permission to change it though.
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You'll need to download it and host an alternate if you have ideas i guess : )

On thing i completely forgot is the skin...I use chronicles or whatever it was by Gambit...but of course, initial people will have the other one! Does that jar...which backdrop do people prefer to use?

Also, i think you can remove the tag line below the dungeon-master.com graphic, especially since it's not even formatted liek the one above now : )
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Very nicely done, Christophe. The right
balance beetween eye-candy and information.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Very nice start! Like it a lot -- as Paul said, a good balance, and some great summary text.

I've tidied it up and re-ordered, as well as making some minor aesthetic changes and a few text edits. I've also fixed the floats so that it now works in Firebird and Mozilla (I was seeing the content below the sidebar and it looked very odd).

EDIT: I've now changed the "dungeon-master.com" logo at the top of the page to go to the main page, rather than the index page of the forums.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The aesthetics changes are small but effective - especially the bullet points on the 'what's happened since then'
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Something has gone very screwy with the FTP. I'm trying to upload a revised index.htm at the root level (the portal page), and it keeps getting corrupted/truncated, which is messing up the HTML so it doesn't render properly.

Anyone fiddling with this at the same time as me?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

what about webspace? is there a temp file anywhere that's knockign the limits?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I'm happy with the little changes you made. I fixed an issue with a link to the forums that was spanning the whole paragraph.

Gambit, I had similar issues of "corruption" in the past.
I use FlashFXP as an FTP client, and it has options to automatically manage file conflicts.
For example, if you try to upload file and a file with the same name already exists on the server, you can configure what FlashFXP will do (skip the file, overwrite the file, or resume the transfer) based on the file destination (upload or download) and file size (source is larger, smaller or the same size as destination).
Maybe your FTP client has a similar feature.

For example, if you configure the program to automatically resume an upload when the source file is bigger than the destination, then you can have a "corruption", because the program will only upload the last bytes of your local source file, appending to the existing destination file on the server. It will do this, even if the beginning of the two files are completely different! This can surely have weird effects...

The solution is to change the configuration, or to delete the file on the server before uploading a new version, to avoid any conflict.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I use an older FTP called LeechFTP. It's usually fine at overwriting stuff, but I had a lot of problems last night. In the end, I did it using the web-based control panel, and that worked perfectly.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

it's a small thing, but the tag line under dungeon-master.com still bugs me - it was jus ta whim to ape the 'community...' writing, and it just looks out of place and weird as normal text and so large - and problem with changing it back?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, what should it say instead?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i wouldn't change it if peopel don't mind it, i'd just have it smaller : )
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I made the text smaller.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hi Gents, I know this may be (in fact is) really picky but you know at the top of the forum there is the DM shield. Well that used to take me back to the forum list and now it takes me to the new homepage. Not that I dont like the new homepage or anything, In fact I think it is pretty cool to have one there with the information it has on it but shield was kinda nifty for me to get back to the forum list (an old habit)

Dont suppose there is any chance that could be changed back to how it was.
Not a big deal if not mind you. Im probably just tired :)

Ta
Regards,

Andy