sleeping...

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

do you sleep?

only if i really need to and then as short as possible
50%
every time i enter a new level
No votes
only if i know/fear that a difficult situation will come towards me
13%
recently
6%
after every fight or greater use of mana/stamina
31%

Total votes: 16

sucinum
Pal Master

sleeping...

Post by sucinum »

do you sleep at all in dungeons?
why and when do you sleep? only when you really need it (hp low, mana empty), at certain occassions (stamina empty i.e.) or recently?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I voted for the first option
I sleep only if a) my stamina is really low and i can't boost it with ya potions, or b) if i have low magic and need it - such as tackling immaterial beings, etc

And even then, you can find a) isn't served by sleeping as it tends to lower when other stats are beign restored, and of course sleep allows lack of food to run free reign and reduce your stats
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I only let my party sleep when my characters are either totally exhausted in mana AND stamina and possibly health or if I know that they will face a real major challenge soon and are at least significantly exhausted, so I voted for difficult situations.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I voted for the last option - I like my party at good health level as often as possible, it reduces problems when being surprised. As Fuzzy pointed out, it tends to increase problems with food and water, but I'm rather the defensive player and don't feel too well having to run around with nearly dying or exhausted characters, so if possible I tend to avoid that.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oops, what i meant was if you are short of food water anyway, then sleep, you can actually lose huge amounts of stamina to the point of damage whiel your mana/health is being restored

of course, playing styles are affected by dungeon - i'm sure pitd will agree with me that your can't not sleep at the start of conflux, and very often!
i hope screamers don't get offended when i drift off during combat : )
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Definitely agreed. In the mean time, that is a different thing since my party has evolved a bit - but there are certain areas where I still rarely allow them to close their eyes if it's not absolutely necessary. Stamina always seems to be a problem - I tend to use Ya potions as well to save sleeping time.

Regards, PitD
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i play very offensive and so tend too sleep more regularly (i voted the top down version of course) to be prepared for all the critters i will inevidable meet :)
sleeping also restores mana very quickly (that's why im chany-fan) and this way i get decent mage-levels for lateron, which saves me most of training, my party evolves during the game.
my dungeons are also created for my style, which was experienced by many the one or other way ;)
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

use to sleep alot when i first played the game back in the age of the atari ST and alittle bit on PC. but frankly It's almost hard to find a reason to sleep now. heck modify the dungeon making groups of 4 and 2 when normally there is only 1. Move monsters around so they suround you etc and still no need to sleep. Bored out of my mind running into walls, no stamina left and barely a sliver of heallth a simple stamina and health potion never fails. No, Never need to sleep and I'm sure the various custom dungeons would only make it even harder to get sleep anyways.
No instead of sleeping, I practice gaining levels or achning that 3rd strike with all weapons for all characters.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, the thing about custom dungeons is...you never know when someone decided to make flasks hard to come by, or in RTC etc when they decide to make the darn runes for basic spells hard to come by!

playing conflux II i've had to sleep alot more, but only to begin with
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Sleep is somewhat easier to regain health and stamina in the beginning when you're low on mana... but if you have the effect described above of having to search ages for a simple water flask or food for that matter sleeping loses precious time before starving. Apart from that it's a matter of playing style - if you like to dodge a lot and are quick on your feet (keyboard) you may need less than if you have a more direct combat style and will suffer more hits automatically.

Regards, PitD