How do you play DM using RTC?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

When playing the DM dungeon through RTC, which version do you play...and why?

Dungeon Master (Return To Chaos) - for the challenge or otherwise
28%
Dungeon Master (Original Version) - for the nostalgia or otherwise
44%
Both - in a vain attempt to quell your insatiable appetite for all things DM ;-)
28%

Total votes: 18

George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

How do you play DM using RTC?

Post by George Gilbert »

Just curious...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Maybe to give a more detailed answer than just clicking the poll -which I have done dutifully:) - the thing that fascinated me most about RTC was (and is) the spellbook with the runes - that's why I saw a new challenge which interested me more than replaying the original.

Monster movement, adjusting difficulty levels to the character's strength in a dungeon and other features like the fireball explosions and light effects certainly also enhance the fun in general (no matter if you play the original or RTC). The main reason for me is still that I rather like to explore new dungeons or effects than replaying known one's.

BTW: Still hoping for configurable keys in upcoming versions ;)

Regards, PItD
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I think I voted right, I did the one with the spell book, that is the RTC version is it not?

Im also ploughing through CSB. That is after searching around for a key that I had already used in KU.

:)

I love it.

After I finish that, I have some wicked ideas for a dungeon of my own :twisted:
Regards,

Andy
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I mostly play RTC because of the challenge.

I also used to play both DM's.
Or.DM for the Nostalgia first, RTC-DM out of curiosity first, and then because of the increased challenge. Then, I used to play both for a while so there wouldn't be any bug not only in the dungeon but also in the engine, that I could possibly miss.
The possibility to re-enter a dungeon with increasedpdifficulty is a very important feature of RTC, it keeps every dungeon interesting.

While I used to be a explore-everything-take-all-treasue-kill-all-monsters-player, George's score system forces me to try for speed playing from now on.
So next, i.e. when V0.25 is released, I will play a thorough exploring of CSB to see whether all bugs have been purged from the CSB-dungeon, then I will make a speed approach for the score, then I'll try a speed game at Or.DM and then at RTC-DM.

By now already difficulty level is set to Archmaster when I play the DM dungeon with my party (I think RTC does not take into account that playing in spellbook mode is actually already more difficult than in normal rune casting mode), although average level of the party is OnMaster.
So all the time my party theoretically increased in power, it actually became weaker in comparison to the dungeon difficulty in each subsequent game. But now I already have reached the highest difficulty in DM, so all power I gain now actually increases the strength of my party again. But... I played CSB only at expert so far. CSB at Archmaster will be hard, I'm looking forward to it...
Last edited by Lunever on Sat May 24, 2003 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Im getting pretty tempted to attempt DM and then CSB using only 1 character :)

Has anyone tried this?
Regards,

Andy
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

andyboy_uk wrote:Im getting pretty tempted to attempt DM and then CSB using only 1 character :)

Has anyone tried this?
Yep, I tried it and made it.
Pretty tough :!: , there are many cons: especially lack of mana and huge restore-time-until-you-can-attack-again. And I'm not mentioning lack of inventory space so you must choose very carefull what you will take with you and what you'l leave.

Big pro is that you can dodge spells and missiles placing your character on the apropriate side. With keyboard shortcut "Swap characters at the front line" and "Swap characters at the back line"
it would be perfect :lol:
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

muhahahaha... Im gonna try it :lol:
Regards,

Andy
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

You don't need that keyboard shortcut, for with one character only you can dodge missiles easily by simply turning aside. So if your character is standing on the left side, you will simply ignore any missiles on the right side, and if a missile is coming in at the left side, you turn right, and the missile will pass behin your back.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

...you just have to make sure to remember which way to turn, based on which rank you are in (front or back)...

I'm playing DM, not jsut for nostalgia, but to see how well it has been implemented. At least, that's why I started playing it...now I continue because I'm hooked, all over again.

Seeker19
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

But which DM version... DM original for PC... CSBwin... RTC ... ?

Regards, PitD
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

The original topic was about RTC, so I assumed that to be understood. :)

Seeker19
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Correct. Excusez-moi.

Regards, PitD