[Custom dungeon] The Trail [RTC] [Saumun]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: [RTC] The Trail (Full - Parts 1 & 2)

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
Use the master key to open the cells, then check the cells.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

I really must be missing something. I don't see any keyholes next to the cell doors.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

There aren’t. There is a master lock that opens them all.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

:oops: Forgot about that keyhole
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

A couple of questions

in the cave tunnels beneath
Spoiler
house 4, there are 4 lava pits. I had 3 pyros and could light only 3, so I'm guessing I missed a pyro somewhere?
and
Spoiler
there's a door that needs a key to the west of the blue hazes. Should I have found the key in this area?
in the clan key level,
Spoiler
do the little spiders spawn endlessly? seems like a lot of work for a shuriken?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
1. Yes, you need four pyros. Did you get the one from the first caves, earlier on? It’s close to where you find the vorax.
Spoiler
2. This will be revealed when you breach the rubble near the fire pits, where you place pyros.
Spoiler
3. The small spiders keep coming through the pit above. If you can find a way up, you can stop them.
Also, there is something beyond the shuriken. Check your map.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
Did you get the one from the first caves, earlier on? It’s close to where you find the vorax. Yes, I found that one. I'll have to look around for the 4th one.
Spoiler
2. This will be revealed when you breach the rubble near the fire pits, where you place pyros. Thought that might be the case.
Spoiler
The small spiders keep coming through the pit above. If you can find a way up, you can stop them. Yes, I have the grapple from the lightning bolt area. I'll go and close this up.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
In that case, the other three are in caves under the basements of two houses.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
In that case, the other three are in caves under the basements of two houses.
Well, I looked around again and still didn't find it. There is one area that I wasn't able to access under house 2 where
Spoiler
the button activates a movable wall that opens to a passage with two doors with an alcove between them. I couldn't get past the 2nd door and figured it was accessed from the other side. Is there a pyro somewhere behind that door? If not, then I still must be missing one under house 1.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
If you already have one from under house 1, then no... the other two are both in Irra’s cave, under house 4.
Spoiler
The thing I’m puzzled about are the two doors in the caves under house 3. Are you talking about the place with the Mon rune in an alcove? I can’t see any reason the second door wouldn’t open. The button is right there in front of it. Are you saying the button doesn’t work?
If so, that is bad. You need to get through there, and there is no other way in.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Yes, that door opens. I just never saw the button. Cant' believe I missed that!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay, in relation to the last pyro...
Spoiler
Did you get past the black dragon that Irra summoned in his cave?
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
Did you get past the black dragon that Irra summoned in his cave? Yes. The one I missed was under house 1. I didn't see it stuck in the corner before. Got it, applied it, melted the rock wall, got the key, will unlock the door and move on.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I was just thinking where you’re up to, and realised there is a probably unlikely but possible dead end... so I’ll leave this spoilered for people to see, and fix it for the next version.

If you’re playing v1.06, make sure the gate south of the tower is either open, or the silver key is in the lock BEFORE releasing the steel gargoyle on the bottom level.
If you have closed it, taken out the key, and then taken the longer alternative route to the sewer, you could end up trapped.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

I keep that gate open. Since it's close to the shop, I go to the lower levels that way instead of the through the first set of caves.
Spoiler
Did have to deal with the gargoyles after tripping the release lever.
I see how it could be a dead end if the gate was closed with the key out of the lock.

Once again I'm stuck though.

What are the
Spoiler
local amnesty alcoves for? I don't recall seeing a scroll/hint about them?
What are the
Spoiler
small blue tiles for? I've only found 6, but the wall boards they fit into show 25. Have I missed 19 of them? I suspect these have something to do with how you open the central chamber door?
There's still a door I haven't been able to open as well. It's on
Spoiler
the level below the 3 weights puzzle, close to north lava pit. I've got it at location 34,10,8. It's got an item behind it. Haven't found any fake walls, movable walls or switches that would let me open the door?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
Indeed. The dweller that locks the door in the caves, forces you to fight the gargoyles in the garden... but if you remove the key and then descend via the other route, you can get stuck.
However, as you have done, there is no need to close it.
As for the local amnesty, and the tile boards...
Spoiler
this is where I was worried that the one clue (the scroll about what you find and where you find it) isn’t (a) strong, and (b) enough.
Basically the level is split into four sections if you don’t include the central room. They represent four symbols and the objects you find in these areas represent that symbol. For example, in the northwest area you’ll find only fighter objects... a sword, axe, mace, and club. I’m sure you can guess the rest.
If you put all four items from one area in the corresponding amnesty alcove, you’ll get a tile in the other alcove nearby.
The tiles are used to draw the appropriate symbol for that particular area. When the symbol for that area is on the board, the pad will open the door.
There are eleven tiles. Four are gained through the amnesty alcoves and the rest are found spread about.
Spoiler
I have an idea which door you mean, but I’m not 100% because I don’t have it in front of me.
Do you have the crystal staff? If not, then I’m thinking of the right place. You may have missed a button in Elija’s secret room under his basement.
The crystal staff is the only thing that can open the crystal doors on the bottom level.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
You may have missed a button in Elija’s secret room under his basement. Yes, this was it. That button doesn't show up on the map.
Spoiler
this is where I was worried that the one clue (the scroll about what you find and where you find it) isn’t (a) strong, and (b) enough.

I agree. It wasn't at all clear to me. Not sure if I can remember what items came from which quadrant. I've sold most of them at the shop. I'll give it a go before I have to ask which items get put where.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay, no problem.
I think I need to think of a stronger clue for this level.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
I remembered the warrior and ninja items ok and got the tiles. Guess I will need help on the wizard and priest items.

For the wizard I have the storm ring and rainbow wand, but don't recall the other two items.

For the priest, I have the Staff of Neta, Emerald Orb and an empty bottle (but I think it should have a potion in it, mana?)

If I get these two tiles, then I'll have 9. So, I must have missed 2 others. I'll have to look around.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
If I get these two tiles, then I'll have 9. So, I must have missed 2 others. I'll have to look around. I have one more, forgot I hadn't done the GRYRYB clue in this saved game. So, if I get the Wizard and Priest tiles, then I'll only be missing one.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
Wizard items are: Rainbow wand, Pendant Feral, Staff, Storm Ring
Priest items are: Diamed (golden headband), Lyfcharm (necklace), Vitality potion, Staff of Neta
Spoiler
Have you checked the central room?
Beware though... Mirlana and two Ettin Guards are in there, and are still invincible until you shut down the crystal.
Avoid or freeze them.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
Well I had missed the fake wall with the staff earlier, so I didn't have it.

I still don't have the Lyfcharm (necklace). I didn't find it in the Priest quadrant yet. I'll keep looking.

I have not been in the central chamber yet. If that's were the 11th tile is, it will be the only one I'm missing once I get the Priest quadrant tile.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
For the Lyfcharm, do what you did to get to the room with the scroll that has the colour sequence, but don’t go in the room. Look nearby instead,
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
For the Lyfcharm, do what you did to get to the room with the scroll that has the colour sequence, but don’t go in the room. Look nearby instead,

Don't understand this. For the color sequence room, you just walk in, read the scroll clue, set the colors and you get a tile. There wasn't anything to do. Do you mean the 4 click speed test to open the portcullis?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
Yes... what you did to get to the scroll. Not what the scroll depicts.
But you don’t need to click all four. You need the starting pad to make it appear, and it’s in the passage near the door.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
I don't recall doing anything to get the scroll. Wasn't it just laying on the floor next to the wall switch that turns on the color hazes?

Okay, I got it, but without a hint I don't a player would ever do this though. The hint scroll for the 4 click speed test to open the portcullis can be figured out, but why would anyone then later go back to the start pad, step on it and go back through that portcullis and look in that corridor?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

To be honest, I expected it to be noticed en route to the end of the four pad test.
Maybe it would be better if it was repositioned.
The initial point was to distract from the original task.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
To be honest, I expected it to be noticed en route to the end of the four pad test.

Maybe some players would see it, but for me the timing of the 4 click test takes all my concentration. One wrong step seems to be enough of a delay to not get through the door. If you added a bit more delay in the routine it might be noticed or it would be much easier (better?) if it didn't disappear.

All in all I think this level needs more and/or different hints. I would never have completed it without your help. I don't think there's a clue about what to do with the tiles once you get them, or how to get the extra 4 tiles by putting items into the local amnesty alcoves (is the name supposed to be a clue on what to do?). Even knowing what to do, it still took me a few trys to get the dain smybol depicted the way you wanted.
Anyway, level completed. Moving on to the Sand Castle.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Stopped again. Plenty of doors to go through, but they all need keys and I have none. Found 2 circle keys (used), 2 gold keys (used) and 2 Ra keys (used 1) but no others.

There's the something heavy pad
Spoiler
that is apparently activated when a guard steps on it
but I don't see what it does.

There's a blue haze that you can't go through with a hint scroll with compass directions on it that I don't know what means.

So, stuck for now.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The onyx locks are for the four corner towers of the castle. Don’t worry about them just yet. You’ll get them as you go.
Spoiler
The “something heavy” pad opens an alcove one square west, as long as there is a guard on it.
Spoiler
Once you’ve killed all the guards on this level, you’ll get a key that works in one of the locked rooms at the eastern central area... but the guards near the “something heavy” pad will continue to respawn until you get the triangle key. It is always the last guard alive that has the square key. You cannot get lucky and acquire it early.
Spoiler
The scroll in front of the blue haze is an anagram. It’s for a spell you must use.