DMute/TextMute Questions

This is an archive of the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia forum
Morzara

DMute/TextMute Questions

Post by Morzara »

DMute
Is it possible to expand level sizes (such as level 13) and can I add levels (14, 15, ...)? Also, a comment for the creator of DMute: you should add a few things, like a "recent file" list, and perhaps and built in text editor.

TextMute
Is is possible to change the "Needed Length" of a text entry, I find it difficult to find an existing text entry of the same length as the text I want to enter. Also, when I replace a text entry, DMute still sees it as the old entry even though the game writes the new text.

Any help would be appreciated.
Morzara

One More Question

Post by Morzara »

How do I add objects to a creatures inventory?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: One More Question

Post by beowuuf »

Seriously, you should read through the posts on the DMute forum, as people have asked these before, plus other things (like the secret of torches/levers). Your also more likely to get the hardcore DMuters to answer your questions.

The DM game is still infelxible to many things...(some because no one has cracked that code yet) - you can't add levels, you can't alter size (maximum 32x32 anyway)...all you can change is it's starting point (levels aren't stacked directly over each other) and difficulty rating.

George is currently working on his DM clone Return to Chaos, which will 100% flexible for editing...this was his solution to everyone who wanted more and more for editing the DM game, and from DMute. Therefore I don't know if/when he will bring out a DMute 1.4...I have a feeling he might one day, but it would only be a bug fixed/amalgamated version I'd guess.

I don't know much about texts except they are stored one directly after the other (so no room to expand unless there is a breakyou can alter), but DMute should show them as the new version (unless they are in scrolls, due to ...stuff...)

My 'manual' is downloadable from this site, and although wordy does cover lots of questions - chesting explains objects in monsters and chests, the quickstart intro explains torches/levers, and so on.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

About the text editing part, textmute doesn't allow to choose
the length of the prefixed texts. However I plan to change this by:
1) Ordering texts by length
2) Allowing lenghts modifications (like in namedit)- but then DMute will need hexediting to choose the text - next Textmute will provide the required ID (the bytes 3 and 4).

For now, my work method is:
1) List all the lengths of the unused text in "lengths.txt"
2) Order them.
3) Write new texts in "texts.txt", noting its lengths.
4) Check the nearest existing, unused length in "lengths.txt"
5) Look for that text in Textmute and change it.
6) Note the old text associated to the new in "texts.txt"
7) removing the corresponding length in "lengths.txt"

It's not very pleasant but it doesn't lead to errors...
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

In the Atari CSB all the text is kept, as you say, one string after
the other.

However, There is only one array of indexes into these strings.
So you should be able to move the strings around as you choose
and fix the index array. The maximum index is 13 bits long and it
points to a word so the maximum number of bytes of text is
2 * (2**13) = 16384. It appears that three characters occupy 2 bytes so that
the maximum number of text characters is 3*8182 = 24546.
See the function 'DecodeText' in the CSB for Windows source code.
DM may be different.

PAul
prsteven@facstaff.wisc.edu
Rico Len

Re: DMute/TextMute Questions

Post by Rico Len »

I'm reading through these forums as I have my own questions for DMute and TextMute, and I see Beowuuf referring to a DMute Forum... I hate to say this but I have no idea where this forum is as I would've read through it at least three or four times by now. heheh. So my question is... Where the hell is this forum??? <:-)
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

http://chaos.zpc.cz/jumpsite/dmjump.htm

follow this link and you will find anything you want to know about dm, csb and dmute, including a link to the dm web-forum.

@beowuuf: i begin to love this page (maybe because theres a link to my new dungeon on it, although the link is dead, but its the will, which counts ;))
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Didn't know the link was dead! Sorry, thought I'd corrected all my pages for the DME forum shift, need to sort that. Thanks for the kind words : )

And the link is http://pub17.ezboard.com/biansmessageboard69920 to save you going through two sites

Funnily, I think most people browse the two sets of forums equally regularly now, so you can safely post questions on either : )

I have a newer (still being tweaked) version of the faq too, /faq.php (you can type /faq.php?s=1 to get all the questions, or faq.php?s=2 to get the old style question/answers up format).
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!