Kingdom of Loathing

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Kingdom of Loathing

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome to the game, Suci :). If you want an invite to the clan just let me know (I think I can invite people without them applying anyway). As you're playing a Moxie class then ranged weps will be what you want, as Wuffy mentioned. I like collecting familiars...there's one you make yourself by combining a rather large amount of items (about 105 or something in total, can't remember now) who does nice dam. Other familiars buff your stats or increase drop rates and stuff. Some can have negative effects. I probably have a few bits for different familiars in my inventory if you want any. Oh, and every familiar has a "toy" - a piece of equipment only usable by that familiar. You get those by entering your familiar in the cake-shaped arena. After ten wins, you get a prize and in my experience it's nearly always the toy for whichever familiar you're using (unless you've already got it).
The quests for the Main Quest I didn't find too hard and did each one on the level I was given it...one of the boss mobs in a later quest is very tough for the level you meet him but I went into the chat room and asked if I was missing something and some nice person gave me a very nice ranged wep (with which I then pwned said boss mob) which I only very recently replaced.
Oh, if you join our clan, we have a clan basement - if you go down there into the sewers and adventure there enough to find your way all the way through the sewers to the place called Hobopolis, there is a place where you can vastly increase your three base stats (at the cost of adventures). We also have a potted meat tree (in the Clan Rumpus Room) which you can click once a day for around 1000 meat (give or take up to about 50). There's also a crane game which you can click thrice a day which can give you collectable gift items (useful for nothing other than collecting or trading with other players). Oh, and a couple of other bits of furniture give a slight increase to your adventure limit per day (I get 53 adventures rather than the usual 40).
What else? Oh erm, well, feel free to PM me in KoL if you want anything (character name is the same as here). I'm sure Wuffy can help you loads too if he hasn't already ;). He does brewing and stuff so can probably supply you with heaps of free booze and stuff...I have loads of food and booze myself. Hey Wuffy if you need any ingredients I still have soooo much crap in my inventory...do you still need boxes for errm...whatever it was needs boxes that you were making ages ago? Some of my bounty hunting as take me to the "Fun" House so I've been fighting lemons/diseases-in-the-box and got several.
Wheee this must be my longest post in a while...erm, I better stop before I think of anything else to say :twisted:.
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Yep, invite me, then i'll have a look at the clan stuff. I will start begging soon enough, i guess, but wouldn't say no to some food/booze already (musn't be the best since i don't know anyways :D)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heh, back a while ago when we were first grinding for the clan dungeon I didn't use the mall, now if I need stuff like that I just buy it or farm for it - thanks though!

I currently have 50-100 of most booze and up to 75 of certain mixers because I was grinding a few areas for non-combats

Let's just say, when we re-open hobopolis, I will be able to navigate the marketplace a little better than I could before ;D
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey, a fun little 'decipher the meaning and get an item' puzzle has been added to the dwarf area. I haven't quite got it to work, but I think I have the theory down.

Sucinum, you still finding it enjoyable?
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Yes, having fun and making progress - slow but steady. Getting a hang of making booze, but useful ingredients are rare/expensive. Ameena sent me some drinks as well, so i'm fine for the moment, but supplies run dry quick ;).
Just upgraded my equipment and i'm now at 76 (56) moxie, so i can kick some serious ass. Not the bonedragon in the crypt, though ;). Next target is Mt.McLargeHuge, just got the quest from the council. Also got a raft (dingy dinghy), so i'll travel sooner or later ;). And i missed completing 2 older quests, so plenty to do.
Wearing now:
Hat: chrome helmet turtle (Power: 120) [unequip]
Weapon: star boomerang (Power: 135, 1h) [unequip]
Off-Hand: white satin shield [unequip]
Pants: palm-frond capris (Power: 140) [unequip]
Accessory: shiny ring [unequip]
Accessory: dirty hobo gloves [unequip]
Accessory: white collar [unequip]
Familiar: chocolate spurs [unequip]

Sounds like reasonable stuff, nice power ratings and good mods on top. Couldn't test so far because i wasted adventures first and went shopping later. :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh, the Bonerdagon...did I mention there was a boss mob I found very hard for the level? That's him. Some random person gave me a star crossbow and I managed to kill him, then continued to use the crossbow till...erm...ooh it was just after Christmas, 'cause then Wuffy told me about the special Christmas prezzy thingy and I got a nice glow-in-the-dark dartgun which is what I'm now using.
I was thinking of creating a clan forum for us in the clan hall...then if anyone wants anything they can post in there rather than us all just PMing each other.
Oh, one other thing, Suci - if you don't already do so already (and if I've not already mentioned this elsewhere, which I probaly have but meh), I recommend that the last thing you do each day (after using all your Adventures) is stuff your face as much as possible with any food and booze you have - then you're totally drunk but have a nice stack of Adventures ready for the next day (drunkenness wears off overnight of course) to have on top of whatever your current daily allowance is :).
And is anyone making collections of the crane game stuff? I have a ton of various stuffed toys, a few of the rubber bracelets, and some of the card-suit necklaces. You can also get trading cards but they're the rarest thing you can get and I've never got one. My dad says he has a few though (like, maybe three or something, lol).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, I have a display case now I occasionally add to! Have a rubber bracelet, lots of stuffed stuff, and a heart/club charm. So tempted to sent the other half of the heart to myself to be really narcisistic! :D

Many could my alt do with a chrome helmet turtle right about now! Turtle tamers are fun, aswell as being the clerics of the classes, (except with out healing) they can chain their various attacks in to one uber-attack - se a shiedbutt and headbutt on top of their normal attack! Just need to get the shieldbutt skill. I accidentally went for another skill which sucks!

sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

The helmet wasn't very expensive - i went with 3000 meat to the mall and bought it as well as the boomerang and the pants. Found out there is an incredible price difference between decent and uber items - so i'll have to stick with decent. But being able to pickpocket and with both passive skills to increase loot (meat and items), and the meat tree on top, i won't run broke too early. The disco bandit was an excellent choice for a beginner as i found out. Guess i could add to my wealth if i bothered selling all this crap i carry around at the mall. Too many items :D

I'm not so much of a collector, so i can happily share whatever i pull out of the crane thingie.

About the "overdrinking" - i tried once, but i didn't have any extra turns the next day, even though i had some left while being totally drunk. Anything i did wrong or did i just miss it? Just tried it again, will see tomorrow ;). Also still can't access hobopolis. :/
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You need a mall store to sell items. I have one if you want me to put anything up, bit autosellng is probably easier in the short term

And this game rewards benig a packrat - there are lots of cool drops you might not use, but might be useful or vital later on! Hang on to at least one copy of things! You have a closet if t starts to annoy you.

Adventures will stay after roll over, unless you are at 200, which is the maximum value you can carry across.

Hobopolis shuts down after the last boss is killed for new people, untl we reflood it. Ameena just has to distibute er portion of the loot to herself, and then reflood.

However, hobopolis is a high level dungeon - I reckon you might get your arse handed to you until you hit a later level! However, there's you and one regular from another board making good progress in the game, so maybe we should delay and do a four person dive later on and beat up some hobos! Woohoo!

Oh yeah, and disco bandits rule ;D

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If you can think of a rank name for yourself then I'll create it and give it permission to enter Hobopolis, Suci :). Wuffy - it's true Hobopolis seems rather high level, but there is presumably no level restriction on blowing all your Adventures training yourself silly with Richard ;).
Wuffy - I can list you all the collectables I've managed to get so far if you want to see if there's any that you don't need (but I'm not willing to give away anything I only have one of ;)).
What do you guys think to the creation of a clan forum for us in the clan hall, btw? Then we can use that one instead of this one (I presume it just makes a little mini-forum thingy like this anyway, but I've never seen one so...) and people like my dad can see what kind of crap we talk about ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You still have to get through the sewer though.

That said, I guess getting through the sewer is a case of the non-combats not the combats. We can leave useful items in the clan stash for the final test

I'll post you a link to my display case at some point!

I like letting other people see what's what wit hthe game incase they decide they wanna try it, but if you want to do a clan forum you can all meet Doomy then!

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Doomy?
I just thought it might be useful to make a clan forum in case anyone at any point has anything they want to say to the clan (or ask about) as a whole rather than PMing an individual member. I've just brought up the "Forum creation" screen and it says I can create a clan forum for free but every forum created after the first one costs 20k meat from the clan coffers (so nothing huge). It might be a place to talk about stuff like...I dunno...maybe if someone's after a certain collectable or something and they want to see if anyone else has had one. Meh, I dunno.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Disco Doomy, the mysterious clan member fro the Lone Wolf boards. He's currently at the end of level 11 quest, and is a level 14 Disco Bandit

Cause

You know

Disco Bandits rock!

Anyway, yeah, go for it - our own forum! Woohoo!

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl...okay I'll see about making one tomorrow, if I remember (and if I get time...if not I'll have more time on Friday morning before work as I don't have to go in so early), because I can't be arsed right now as I'm about to go to bed (stayed up too long already blowing stuff up in TQ)!
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Just thought I'd post here in case the rest of you don't get any kind of automatic notification - I've now created us a clan forum - go to "Message Board" from the main Clanhall to get there :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If anyone was thinking fo giving the gane a look, or getting back to it, you could do worse than checking it out just now. There has been a mysterious adventure taking about rumbles going on and a crack. Looks like the build up to some fun new avent or content!

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

My dad told me about some kind of earthquake thing, but I didn't get any kind of message when I was on this morning...
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Although I don't play KoL, I know about this from the other forum, where the message from BW seems strangely familiar... :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

As you surely found out, i paused the game for a bit. I will keep my account alive (thanks for the reminder btw), but i'm not too sure if i can get arsed too soon... Maybe if i have more spare time one day in the future.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena wrote:My dad told me about some kind of earthquake thing, but I didn't get any kind of message when I was on this morning...
Yeah, it seems to have started happening at lunchtime - and luckly my audit finished quickly so I got to take lunch, and got to see it!
Jan wrote:Although I don't play KoL, I know about this from the other forum, where the message from BW seems strangely familiar... :roll:
Yeah, the event happened right when I was finishing lunch, so a little bit pressed for time! Anyway, I didn't just copy and paste. I removed the numerous errors first :)

Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

Traveling Trader is sell new currency: "colorful plastic ball" for 1 twinkly wad each. k-mail me your junk items and I'm smash-em for you!

[edit] It's not a currency. There's a ball pit added to the rumpus room which gives a buff depending on the number of balls added (by using).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Where do you think the first 5000 came from :D

Busy at work right now (finishing a 5 minute lunch while something dries) but I'll go through my inventory and see what I have to smash

There should also be some junk in the clan stash you can smash too :)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Damn. I wish my character still existed. Oh well, maybe I can use my old name. Tomorrow, I re-enter the Kingdom and rejoin my clanmates. You know, if it's okay.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Cool. There's some new stuff in the guild that might not have been there last time, and new content all over the place! Remember, don't go pastamancer :) Although if you did, you get cool spice ghosts now
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey Tom hehe, cool Avatar :D.
And yaay of course you can come on back to KoL. Last time i checked the roster you were listed as "Inactive", implying you can still log in. Though that was a while ago - I dunno if imactive characters get deleted after a certain amount of time, nor do I know how long that time would be. But if your char is gone and you need to restart, just PM me and I'll reinvite you into the clan :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

They used to, not anymore. He's off the register cause it's been that long ago :(
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I JUST got the Toot Oriole joke. Yeah, I had to make a new dude, but I did get my old name! And I chose to resurrect the pastamancer because cooking food that gives you 30 adventures is just . . . it's just awesome. I had seriously considered a seal clubber, but hey. I can make another. And another. I could make six and get 240 adventures a day (480 the first day).

Anyway, I would be most pleased to have a re-invite. I have to be lv3 to join, right? Okay, off to strangle things with noodles.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

There's a level restriction? Lol, okay...I didn't know that.
And I don't think you can make multiple characters like that - I recall seeing it in the rules somewhere.

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I thought there used to be a restriction. Anyway I'm lv4 now, so. . . .

I like re-playing games after a couple years because I remember just enough that I don't totally suck at it — which is very important in a game like this — but I've forgotten enough that it feels fresh, and I laugh at all the little things I'd forgotten.

My avatar is a Lego-ized version of Gambit's.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, it looks cool - I like the skellies in Lego. My avatar in Lego Rock Band is a skelly in a pirate hat :D.