Climb down - inconsistency

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
zoom
Grand Master

Climb down - inconsistency

Post by zoom »

The climb down action is inconsistent with all the other actions there are in dm.
Few things I noticed or thought about very recently concerning the rope´s action.

0.if you climb down and there is no pit (open pit, that is) there should be displayed : No Pit, just like when you have a bow and No Ammo where there is displayed Need AMmo. I don´t know, there was / is this bug, that a closed hidden pit would allow this action to succeed, maybe the above restriction would amend parts of this issue, if it still is an issue..

1. climb down is an action that moves the entire party, but only one member of the party actually does something.
this is really not very logical.
Stamina should, be substracted from all party members(at least a bit).

2.how does it work? There is nowhere nothing to attach the rope to.
Thus, the champion with the rope in hand has to aid the othersin climbing down.
THen he /she really has to jump I guess(no one else on the upper level except him/her)

I conclude that the climb down should give ninja experience to all party members, except for the champion actually using the climb down command and that this champion should get damage from jumping down the pit.
Training ninja levels without a pit should not be possible , since it is a bit ridiculous. Even more than flip coin.

Any comments or thoughts?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Climb down - inconsistency

Post by beowuuf »

If both the leader's hands are filled, which hand is it that manipulates objects in the dungeon?
How can each champion consume food and drink in quantities that would make their stomachs burst, and why don't they explode from lack of excretion?
How can the party, en masse, simple all fall asleep instantly?

At some point you have to have a simple model for the game, or it would be dull. So no, i think his is a complete non-issue

For the mechanical aspects:
0 saying 'no pit' has now given the party a trap detector. They will know if a floor is goign to give way, because it won't read 'no pit'. I don't think its an issue at all.
1 if one person is takign the strain, why should the weak magic user who is just shuffling down get penalised?
2 that's a narrative issue, again if we start with this then shouldn'#t too much food consumed in too little time cause damage, shouldn't the individual champiosn who have just been fighting be unable to fall asleep, etc

Just my opinion.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I think you are looking at it a bit too literally lol. I would be more concerned why my face was only 16 colours.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

[Insult-sword-fight]I've also noticed that when you climb down a pit, you keep your rope - how did you do it? Did you cut it off? After a few pits climbed, there would be no rope left. And how did you tie the rope in the dungeon? :roll: Man, I'm not going to sleep tonight. :roll:

Anyway, I'm more concerned that Paul's face has less than 16 colours. I've always thought the snails are more colourful. :roll: [/Insult-sword-fight]

(Edit: as you can see, my face has almost 256 colours, I think)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

thanks for the opinions. Interesting. So for you it does not matter-that is the wonderful part of games, what can you or you have to make different from "reality". What works what doesn´t.
beowuuf wrote:If both the leader's hands are filled, which hand is it that manipulates objects in the dungeon?
FTL did try to have a leader´s hand restriction v.02 or something
(old screenshot on ency.
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/247#toc21),
but I guess game-flow wise it was a good decision to have it the way it is now.
Same goes for food. After all, it is a game.
Lack of excretion.. only one game had it in it .
Duke nukem, you could go to the toilet, was not a must.(aaaaah, much better!).
Well, with the en masse falling asleep you could argue, they simply make camp.
Illogical and unrealistic, very true . good point there, but sleep or the dungeon view are obviously resource management.
sleep does not matter to me that much, really. It is cool I think the way it is. So is probably the rope, too...
beowuuf wrote: At some point you have to have a simple model for the game, or it would be dull. So no, i think his is a complete non-issue
yes, I realise that. So we do have to some extend the same opinions, again thanks beo

For the mechanical aspects:
beowuuf wrote: 0 saying 'no pit' has now given the party a trap detector. They will know if a floor is goign to give way, because it won't read 'no pit'. I don't think its an issue at all.
I do not think that this will be the case if you have it really strict. The party would get no trap detector at all. Why should they know if a floor is going to give way? It will read no pit always, except for when a standard open pit is nearby.
But I see, never touch a running system..there comes a whole load of other problems that this would instill(hidden pits, climbable?yes or no). If players want to train ninja with the rope trick they can. Everyone happy.

beowuuf wrote: 1 if one person is takign the strain, why should the weak magic user who is just shuffling down get penalised?
have you happen to just shuffle down a rope yourself? It is quite a task !(therefore it gives ninja exp)
In the end: whatever, it really does not matter
beowuuf wrote: 2 that's a narrative issue,
hmm, yes.
16 colours, lol :maybe the dungeon is not really well lit. People are working on high res versions, so there is "hope" ;)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I'm not as long here as others, so I don't know if CSBwin has any original rule changed, but I believe that this is a thing which has been avoided. Personally - and that may clearify my suggestions about Conflux for DSB - I see CSBwin as reference to the original, the enhancement of DSA-ability is a fine idea, but rule changes like suggested should be done only via DSA (if possible in that case at all).
A new rule like this can probably easily be implemented in the LUA-code of DSB for everyone who wants it in his dungeon. This script-language is that powerful, that we even could create a library with additional functions. And exactly this is why I believe that DSB is the future and DSB should be supported whereever possible, even if RTC may still have more power *today*. Sooner or later DSB will catch up and cover both.
If Sophia used the word intriguely, and I don't ever understand Paul's sarcasm simply because english isn't my native language - my intentions on this theme are so, that I never want to start any jealousy or whatever. All this work of all three ports is incredibly worthful. But CSBwin should stay the reference, RTC the pool of ideas for enhancements, and DSB the future to unite them all and offer new possibilities.