Huge bug problem

This is an archive of the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia forum
Christopher

Huge bug problem

Post by Christopher »

I started making a new dungeon. I didn't want to give any of it away but I have run into a terrible bug. I wanted my dungeon to start with a character that is fataly poisoned. The object was, in order to continue, to revive at least one other character before that person dies. It seems that if you are in somebody's mirror when the character dies, and you decide not to revive that character and exit the mirror, you seem to get a "lost soul" bug. This lost soul bug lets you walk through walls, opperate doors (which doesn't matter because you can walk through them), and pick up items. This means you can unequip all the mirror characters of their belongings and have all of those belongings to use in the beginning. This also seems to mean that you can go anywhere in the dungeon. You can also use teleporters. My dungeon isn't anywhere near being finished so I have not looked into this bug too much. I was hoping there would be some way to fix this bug so that there wouldn't be a lost soul effect without having to have a different beginning made up for my dungeon. Please help if possible.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Huge bug problem

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, congratulations on finding a cool new bug!

Ok, checked it out, and what happens is the ;'ost soul' is the ghost of the mirror character
You cannot select him directly, select his attacks, spells etc but if you click the right button in the middle of the screen it goes into a usable inventory screen
You can, as you said walk through walls and door, yet use teleporters and buttons, pick uip objects, throw objects use floor pads like you wee a normal charatcer
The cool thing that might help you is that monsters can block you too

What you can do:
a) if you put the bones back int othe VI altar, you do still have the ghost...however your game will end when your proper first character then dies again, and once you select your first character's inventory you cannot access the host's
b) the ghost disappears if you take another character anyway, even if it is not the same as the one you died selecting

Another weird thing is that apart from in the x direction left, you can go anywhere..you can keep walkign through walls as long as you like..well beyond the usual 32x32 bounds

To get round this bug, what i would do is force someone to choose a second character..have teleporters blocking the only entrance out, and each champion mirror targetting a teleporter with an open signal
This effect is only generated when the mirror is emptied (it's how character choice matters in CSB for getting Lor as Kasai) so you can't get far with the ghost
But make sure the exit out ios protected from all four sides! You can clone a single teleporter and surroudn the whole level with it if you like so no one can go walking around stupidly
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

In what versions does this happen? PC? Amiga? Atari? CSBWin?
DM? CSB? All?

Strange things happen in the program when you are
"In a mirror" selecting a champion. If you consider it a
bug and it happens in CSBWin, I might be able to fix it.

PAul
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

This was in DM, don't know if it happens in anythign else, but I'm guessing it would
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Thanks Beowuuf. Sounds like a good idea.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Here is what I saw in the CSBWin CSB prison:

I reincarnated Toadrot.
Went downstairs and got poisoned by Rockpiles.
Went upstairs and beat my head on the wall until 2 hitpoints remained.
Click on another portrait.
Wait for Toadrot to die of poison.
Click on CANCEL.

I could walk through walls with a dead Toadrot.

So what should we try to do?
1 - Leave it alone? Nostalgia.
2 - Remove Toadrot completely?
3 - Leave the dead Toadrot but fix the walking through walls.
4 - Terminate the program?
5 - Something else?

Not that I know for certain that these are all possible.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

hey, this bug will help you to get lor and kazai in one party!
i vote for 1 :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, aww, leave the bug in for nostalgia!

This is true about Lor and kazai, although youwould have to kill all the blocking monsters first