[RTC] HD Graphics

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
L_ghthouse
Novice

[RTC] HD Graphics

Post by L_ghthouse »

HD Graphics
I know this isn't really a custom dungeon but it's the graphics I used to create Dungeon Master HD, Chaos Strikes Back HD, and Theron's Quest HD. I figure there's no sense in keeping the graphics to myself if others can have fun creating dungeons with them.

The folders are cleaned up fairly well though I'm sure you will find files/folders that aren't named uniformly. There is a replace.txt that has all of the replace commands already populated in it. Simply copy and paste it into your favorite classic RTC dungeon and VOILA!

Download L_ghthouseGraphics.zip here
alt link -b.

ENJOY!!!
Last edited by L_ghthouse on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Re: [RTC] HD Graphics

Post by linflas »

very useful, especially the replace.txt file for quick integration. could there be a way to adapt this file in LUA for DSB ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Adapting for DSB would be pretty much a long manual job I think. It handles graphics entirely differently, especially if you want them in different folders. Search & Replace might get you somewhere, but probably not far...
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Could you explain for us not so clever people exactly how I can use the HD graphics in RTC. I have copied and pasted them into RTC49 but it doesn't make any difference. Obviously something more than that to do.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Copy all the folders in the zip file into your RTC Modules folder. Then copy the contents of the supplied replace.txt into the dungeon TXT file that you want to update.

It doesn't work "out of the box" so to speak -- you have to edit the dungeon text file, for example open up the Modules/DM.TXT file and copy all the replace.txt into that (make sure you put it in the right place in the file!)

Once you've done that, you need to compile the dungeon (see RTCs editing.txt file on how to do that). I recommend you make a copy of your dungeons txt file first, and work on that, eg copy DM.txt and call it DMHD.txt.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

@gambit : i was thinking of some parsing-program. Like Joramun's converter.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
L_ghthouse
Novice

Post by L_ghthouse »

Gambit37 is right you copy the contents to your Modules folder. Make a copy of one of the dungeons (dm.txt to dm_new.txt for example) and add the REPLACE commands from the supplied replace.txt. If you are unsure where to insert these, edit dm_new.txt then replace just one graphic and save it. You will now find a single REPLACE command in dm_new.txt. Replace that one for all the ones in the supplied replace.txt and you'll be good to go.

Once done add this line to the bottom of your config.txt file (tab delimited)
COMPILE Modules\dm_new.txt

This will create your dm_new.rtc file in the modules folder. You can then remove the line from your config.txt file and have fun.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Where is this place though? I have added the text in numerous places, but to no avail!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Ah, is under New Bitmaps. Working!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

By the way, I've just recompressed all the PNGs in Lighthouse's ZIP file, and created a new 7zip file in it's place. It's now nearly 2MB smaller with the exact same quality :-)
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/dun ... raphics.7z
L_ghthouse
Novice

Post by L_ghthouse »

Ah! Good old 7-zip compression algorithm. Thanks
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, the main problem was the PNGs themselves. PNGs store all sorts of extraneous data, plus they can compress better than the standard compression you get when you save them out from your graphics package. I ran them all through PNGCRUSH to optimise them. I'm pretty obsessed about image compression as I design and build websites and every byte counts ;-)
r0ck
Novice

Post by r0ck »

Still dont get where to paste the text from replace.txt into my dungeon.txt :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There should be a text block in dungeon.txt that looks like the replace.txt file. Near the start of the dungeon.txt, all sections should have descriptors above then saying 'graphics' and 'wallset'
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It goes right under this label

Code: Select all

/******************************************************************************/
/* New - Bitmaps                                                              */
/******************************************************************************/
[New - Bitmaps]
r0ck
Novice

Post by r0ck »

Gambit37 wrote:It goes right under this label

Code: Select all

/* New - Bitmaps                                                              */
[New - Bitmaps]
I added this to my file.txt, just after wallset box, pasted in the text from replace.txt and it is working like a charm. Thank you :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You're welcome :-) And welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay :-)