The Dumbest way I died...

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MisterSushi
Novice

The Dumbest way I died...

Post by MisterSushi »

Now, don't judge me, but the dumbest way I died on dungeon master when I first started playing it was by casting two successive mon leveled fireballs toward a wall right in front of me. Why? I was trying to level up my wizards. Dumb? Yes. Stupid? No. Stupid is being deadly low on health, out of mana, and running into an alcove with one entrance in and one out, seeing a giant spider and then SAVING THE GAME! THAT'S STUPID---- And I think it was the first time I ever swore. You do the math, what level of the dungeons the spiders start appearing. I was beside myself with "Grief."

HOw about all of yous???

:?:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: The Dumbest way I died...

Post by Jan »

Yeah, casting a fireball against a wall is a classics. It happens to me even now sometimes, and it used to happen to me / us very often back in the 1980s when we were playing "duo" (one walking - keyboard, one using mouse) - the "mouse master" casted a fireball against a creature and the "keyboard master" turned to run away... :lol:

Saving your game in a death-situation is bad, of course, but you still have the BAK file so you can retrieve the previous situation. Saving your game twice in an impossible situation, on the other hand, is much worse... :roll:

I also remember being trapped in my own "door trap" (i.e. closing the door and then stepping underneath them and being blocked by a monster and bashed to death by the door). And, of course, I very often enter the same hidden or even visible pit for more times, like stupid. I know there's a pit, I know I shouldn't go there, but I always do it again. :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woo, great thread :D.
I''ve done the fireball-the-wall thing a few times...though of course it's probaly also the easiest way to suicide if you've messed up and need to reload. Something I tend to do (at least, in RTC) is chuck a fireball at a monster and then run toward it, thereby running into my own fireball and hitting myself :P.
I can't really remember much else by way of embarrassing deaths, at least, not from the Atari days (ie when I first played the game) 'cause I was about six years old so it's a bit tricky to recall every last detail ;). I'm sure I ran into plenty of walls and pits and stuff though, and shat myself every time I heard the Dragon growl suddenly coming from right next to me. Oh, Scorpy noises are freaky too. And Giant Rats/Hellhounds but only because they share the same noise as Dragons so every time you hear it you expect to get suddenly impacted by a BOOM sound and an orange-coverd screen ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think turning instead of backstepping, and letting a priest/wizard getting chomped, or similarly spinning not sidestepping out of the way of powerful spells.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Or taking care to cautiously step around a pit and then either press the wrong key or get startled/panicked by a monster appearing and end up falling down it anyway ;).
I'm not sure that's happened to me, but I'm pretty sure it's the kind of thing I'd probably end up doing :D.
Novice

Post by MisterSushi »

Did anyone ever get to the end using only fighters and find out that you need a wizard to obtain the power gem? That would really bite :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

LOL, no, I've thought of that but never really tried it. But it would only require some priest / wizard training at the bottom level, nothing else. It can be done. :)
Ameena wrote:Something I tend to do (at least, in RTC) is chuck a fireball at a monster and then run toward it, thereby running into my own fireball and hitting myself
LOL, yeah, I forgot about that one, it happens to me quite normally, sometimes because I run around too fast, especially in dungeons that I know well, like DM and... yeah... hmmm... DM. :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Actually, you'd get stuck a lot earlier than the Power Gem if you had no-one with any mana - "Cast your influence, cast your might" anyone? ;) But the Firestaff with no gem on it gives +1 Wizzy level I think (then with the gem gives +2), plus there's the Pendant Feral which also gives +1 Wizzy level. And stuff like staves and wands which give you a few mana points. So while you might have to backtrack somewhat in order to get one of these objects to give yourself some mana, you certainly couldn't' get irretrievably stuck, I don't think. Also, if you were doing it as strictly fighters and never cast any kind of spell (so you never levelled up in caster levels and never gained any mana), you'd probably find your magic and fire resistance was really low, and also that you ran out of torches and were a bit buggered any time someone was injured or poisoned (or just nearly dead) and you needed to use a potion of some kind ;).
It'd probably make for an interesting challenge trying to get through DM while casting no spells (except those you really NEED to cast, like the Zokathra), but I bet it'd be bloody hard!
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:Actually, you'd get stuck a lot earlier than the Power Gem if you had no-one with any mana - "Cast your influence, cast your might" anyone? ;)
Well, you don't need to pass that door - there is one (or even two if you spare one from the previous level) extra gold key.

But as you say, with only torches, and possibly injuries and poisoning it would be quite challenging. And no, I'm not entering the competition because I would lose. Boooo! :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh, I thought the only way past that bit was to do it "properly" with a Zo spell and a thrown object. I can't remember now, lol. Maybe that part is optional, then. I can't even remember which level it's on, though I'm guessing either Two or Four as I know it's pretty early on...
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I think I've done quite a few.. I've walked into a fireball. I got angry at a giggler running after him directly into a fireball. I got spooked by a rat in the rat level and ran into the fire launching pressure plates (even though i knew they were there) .. Wanted to test my fire shield spell.. cast a mon fireball against a wall.. didn't save me. was being chased by a knight and ran into a room shutting the door.. only to turn around to see another knight right there. "oh oh" .... *THWACK* "Yeaaaahhhhhhh!"

The stupidest things I did though didn't often lead me to death not of all 4 characters at least..

When I first encountered the dragon I had just been turning around to see him go "HWAA!" and launch a fireball.. I turned around and ran as fast as I could. running into the wall "uhh! uhh! uhh! uhh!.. etc" and BOOM got hit by the fireball 2 died.. (pant pant) .. at this point my heart is racing I'm leaning fully forward my nose inches from the screen (trying to lean forward to avoid the fireball).. finally make it around the corner and to the stairs and I turn the character around but I don't see the dragon.. so I lean in my computer chair and try to look around the corner of the screen.. yeah.. I'm that smart.. I remind myself it was only 16 colours of unreality on a computer.. (many amiga games had 32, or more even played one game in ham mode) I walked the characters up the stairs and waited there a while getting a firmer grip on reality and making sure I didn't die of a heart attack :P

I think i also launched a fireball at a ghost.. who was right in front of me..
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, I've done the leaning-round-corners thing plenty of times, and not just in DM. I can remember trying to sort of lean downwards to see further up a hill (by looking through the screen and uphill under the top of the monitor, if that makes sense) when I played EQ (bring on EQC so I can do that again, wooo :D). As for running away from fireballs...yeah...why is it that whenever you see one hurtling towards you and you panic, that you never think of just sidestepping and instead try to frantically backpedal (or turn and run) and then either hit a wall or get hit by the fireball...or in your case, Cows, both ;).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

cowsmanaut wrote:I think I've done quite a few.. I've walked into a fireball. I got angry at a giggler running after him directly into a fireball.
LOL , things that happen when you run away :)

my worst was running into my own fireball or spell :lol:
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

the walking into fire ball.. I did mean my own.. in that sort of "I'm chasing you down.. you are my prey! muhahahaha.. eat fire! (casts fireball) yeah you can't run from this you... (step BOOM!).. oh crap.."

I trashed talk a lot.. I have a video my friend took when we were playing and I'm yelling "kick him in the shnoz!" about a dragon he's fighting..
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hahaha, you're not gonna kill me, i'm gonna kill me. giggles me too cows... muhahahaha :)
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

actually the most un heroic/stupid thing I did in a game was in Infamous.. some bad guy was attacking a pedestrian and I ran in to protect them hitting the button to throw a powerfull punch.. yeah.. I killed the poor bastard and the bad guy just ran away.. "Don't worry citizen! I'll save you... POWER PUNCH!!! (WHACK).. oh dear" :o
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

heh... yeah, it's not always in the best interest to kill a monster. it is something to consider. in EoC, almost all the monsters will be interactive with info screen, no need to kill, but you can if you want to try........ muhahahaha... maybe not a good move, the monster just may be hungry, or searching for a valuable item carried and so on.
keep your gor coin handy
EdgarGrim
Neophyte

Post by EdgarGrim »

Hmm let's see.. it's been a while since I played so I don't remember what level it was however I won't soon forget how I died. In my defense I was up for 2 days playing! lol

I was on a level with the little jawa guys. I stepped into one of those half cubes with a door on them. Well I clicked to close the door before I entered and door began to close on my head. I tried to backup and there was no response. Then I heard those little bastages. They were blocking me from backing out and the door was slamming me in the head. I don't know if I died from laughing, the door or the jawa dudes haha

(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ouch!

And welcome to the forums!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hehe. Cool. Something similar happens to me too sometimes. Those "Jawa" guys (known as Vexirks) can also cast the open / close door spell, so you even didn't have to click to close the door - they might have done it themselves (as well as the Wizard / Flying Eyes). :)

And, yeah, welcome! :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Not to mention Spell Vines, I believe. And Lord Chaos (presumably - at least, it looks like an Open Door spell...could also be a Harm Non-Material Being I suppose...) ;).
Anyway, yay welcome Yet Another New Person :D. Why is it that dying in stupid ways in games becomes such a source of hilarity after it's all happened and you've calmed down from being annoyed at being dead? :D Well alright, it's not always annoying and frustrating, but you know, generally, death can be a bit of a pain (except in many modern games these days where you usually don't even have to do corpse runs or lose exp or anything as far as I can tell :P). But if they somehow removed the ability ro die in stupid ways from games where it used to be possible, you can bet we'd all be clamouring to get it back again :D.

Post by EdgarGrim »

Thanks for the welcome guys.=)

You know maybe they did close the door the buggers. I just remember both my uncle and I laughing and I could barely see the screen through the tears.

Corpse run: Hmm no game was worse then old school Everquest. Sometimes it would take hours to get your body back and other times you had to get someone to summon your corpse from a wall. Oh the joy of dying in a dungeon and then dying and then dying oh wait almost there... dead again. I play wow now haha

DM has long been my favorite game of all time. Yep, everyone loves a dumb death story. It never gets old.
KayBee
Novice

Post by KayBee »

I think the dumbest way I died was bumping myself into walls to death. I had just picked my party and was heading into the dungeon. My PC locked up and I guess I hit the forward key a billion times. When the PC unfroze..well you know the rest lol.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Omg someone who's played proper old-time classic EQ :D. Are you following the progress of EQC in its development? It'll be EQ like it used to be back in those good old days when the game was actually hard and stuff :D. Half the things people are reminiscing about on the EQC forum involves dying stupidly, corpse runs, camping mobs for weeks and still failing to get a drop, being killed by various notorious mobs (Cazel, the griffin in the Commons, the Goons, etc), spending hours travelling across a continent on foot, that kind of thing :D. It's weird how all the things that were so annoying back then are the things we miss the most now.
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Jan wrote:Yeah, casting a fireball against a wall is a classics. It happens to me even now sometimes, and it used to happen to me / us very often back in the 1980s when we were playing "duo" (one walking - keyboard, one using mouse) - the "mouse master" casted a fireball against a creature and the "keyboard master" turned to run away... :lol:
Haha lost count of the amount of times we've done that. It was always poor Gothmog who copped the brunt of those things too lol. Quite a few times we've just said "Stuff him" and ran away to like our wounds and came back for him when there was nothing scary around.

Think my more amusing way of dying was we were on Lvl 12 fighting Knights and he'd absolutely ripped us a new one. 3 people are dead and we're left with a Wizard/Priest with no mana. Think he was using a bow so that was useless, so we've now resorted to hopelessly throwing our dead parties belongings at it. Ended up killing the Knight with a piece of cheese. We thought it was hilarious and had tears running down the face, laughing that hard we weren't paying attention and fell down a bloody pit and she was all over lol.
EdgarGrim
Neophyte

Post by EdgarGrim »

Ameena wrote:Omg someone who's played proper old-time classic EQ :D. Are you following the progress of EQC in its development? It'll be EQ like it used to be back in those good old days when the game was actually hard and stuff :D. Half the things people are reminiscing about on the EQC forum involves dying stupidly, corpse runs, camping mobs for weeks and still failing to get a drop, being killed by various notorious mobs (Cazel, the griffin in the Commons, the Goons, etc), spending hours travelling across a continent on foot, that kind of thing :D. It's weird how all the things that were so annoying back then are the things we miss the most now.
I actually ran an eq server for a while a few years ago. Loved developing it but some of the people playing pissed me off so I shut it down. ( I don't handle children very well) haha

It was one hell of an adventure to go from qeynos to freeport back in the day! I started playing just after it went live. To be honest I don't miss a lot of it but I do miss some of it. Some people tend to forget or maybe don't know about it but it really was the catalyst for all these Morpgs today. The game was painful to play. It certainly punished you. It's much better now from what I hear but it's quite dated. That doesn't even bother me as much as the massive load time to change zones. I play warcraft now. Much more fluid of course =)

The true gem in my eyes was meridian 59, The true grandaddy of 1st Person morpg. I bled many an eyeball playing it. Even ran a private server for a while too.

Sorry, I know I am WWWAYY off topic. But these games in one way or another are connected to Dungeon Master. As have most 1st person computer rpgs been since dm infected our brains.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol yep so we're alright talking about it for now I reckon ;). I started playing EQ back in 2001, between Velious and Luclin and at what I now know to be the game's peak, before Luclin came out and things started their gradual downhill slide into the depths of...well, of what it probably is now. I stopped playing in 2005 - the game by then was nothing like the game I'd started playing four years previously, and it juse didn't hold much interest for me any more. Pretty much all the low-level zones were deserted (I could run circuits of Crushbone, killing all the orcs for faction, for hours and no-one would zone in - now that's just sad :() and no-one probably even knew where any Old World towns even were any more - it was just a matter of play the new tutorial to level 10 or 11 or whatever it was, start game, run to PoK book, go hunting in some new zone with uber exp bonus and level to 70 or whatever within a few weeks or whatever :P. They just nerfed so much of the good stuff so people could rush to the higher levels and raid for uber loot. That seems to be what the game's about now - back in the early days, the idea was basically "Yeah, there's a world - off you go, have fun". People spent time messing around exploring, had to travel to places on foot (gasp :O), find their way across zones to meet up with people. Death could be a major problem, rather than the minor inconvenience it is these days. EQ was hard, and I think it's been majorly nerfed to give people an easier time of it so they can mash their way to whatever the level cap is now and single-group (or even solo) their way to loot that just gives stupid amounts of stats :P. People can solo all the old raid mobs/zones now I bet, but probably no-one bothers as it's just not worth doing any more. Roll on EQC, I'll be there :D.
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

When I re-discovered Dungeon Master about ten years ago on PC, I was very enthousiastic, but didn't manage my food and water very well. Eventually, i got stuck deep in the dungeon, starving to death, spending my time sleeping , in order to recover enough mana to create Ya potions. That's it. Sleeping, drinking, sleeping, drinking. In the dark, of course, Ful spell became too much expensive ! Wuuf cooked drugs for his junkie pal Hissssa (and became quite a good priest ...) for a few hours, before i finally decided my heroes deserved a little more glory.
And that's how Hissssa died from a heart attack, in the dark, trying to chop a random monster with an axe thicker than himself.

(I'm sorry if some sentences sounds weird, I'm French )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl brilliant :D. Aaww your poor party. it sounds like you take the same duo I do, unless they just happened to be the remaining two from your four-poerson party. I always reincarnate though, of course, now i know it works out better :).
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Indeed, they were two of my favourites (although listening to their discussion was somehow boring : " -hssssssssssssss -woof ! A ruf raf Lord chaos !") .
Back then, i think i used to reincarnate too, for the stat boost, keeping the original names.