No errors or warnings but still crashes

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trego
Artisan

No errors or warnings but still crashes

Post by Trego »

What are the other possible problems and steps to take if:
The Editor has given you no Errors or Warnings after Verifying Layout, Compiling gives no Errors or Warning but the game still crashes?

My Problem:
Crashes after clicking 'New' on the intro screen.
Game been tested before successfully. No crash file gets created.

Any easy solutions?

Other events that cause crashes:
Wrong Image size.
If you put the wrong image size into the txt file when adding new images (if writing straight into the txt file and not using the add function in the editor) the game will give no errors (in layout or compile) but crash when you go near the image, monster in my case, with the incorrect image size/dimensions. A crash file will be generated.
Solution:
Search txt file for incorrect image size; or scroll though the new images while in the editor eg in the Add/replace Images tab, selecting each new image will cause a warning on the incorrect one.

These are not bugs, it is something that I have done.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: No errors or warnings but still crashes

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, have you manually entered a starting position for the party? Perhaps RTC doest check for invalid starts. Have you made an overly large basic dungeon view component? All those mght not get checked, and would be displayed when you initially pen the dungeon dors.

Does it crash after the doors have opened but before loading, or does it crash right away?
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

It crashes right away, it doesn't make it to the doors.
The starting position wasn't manually entered, and I haven't/shouldn't have changed (intentionally) the main entrance or any 'new' wallsets (yet). Dungeon view component?

I have tried adding an image of a palmapple as a flooritem so you can walk though them and they don't have to be attached to walls, but they haven't been placed yet.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Something like the interface, the actual dungeon wallset or something like that.

If the image is associated in the file, it might be that though I doubt you would get the error you did if it were not placed.

It has to be something major, and it seems to me that basic math errors (like calclating impossible positioning / level size) or graphical errors always give bad crashes.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Still haven't sorted it out yet, but I found out that if I try and Compile the dungeon with 'too many errors, rtc file not created', it still goes to the opening scene, the DMII sign post scene.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If the dungeon isn't large, look for something not working correctly then :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Can you post the critical errors list?

Often one tiny error causes a recursive effect to the rest of the file. Fixing the one error can remove all other problems.

It's possible the editor messed up your file, I've had this happen before. I periodically save copies of my files as I'm working. Do you have a recent backup that you can try, that works? If so, do a FC (file compare) on the good one and the bad one and see what's different.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

If you have changed size of bitmaps you use in dungeon or moved then, that's what happeans. Check trough ALL the custom graphics by selecting 'em in the add new graphics window. If it cannot find a correctly sized bitmap from directory given an error message will appear when you highlight the name of graphic which has problems. You can then fix it/them. Note that it may also be about audios, or something else i do not know.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Gambit37 wrote:Can you post the critical errors list?
No, us it doesn't give me a list unless I purposely put in an error.
Gambit37 wrote:...do a FC (file compare) on the good one and the bad one and see what's different.
Partially tried this, no major differences were found.
Duckman wrote:Check trough ALL the custom graphics ... it may also be about audios, or something else i do not know.
Tried this with no warnings.

Thank for your help so far.
I think I'll next try paste and copying individual levels into a new dungeon and see if I can find the problem that way, or save a copy and start removing things.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've had these kinds of crashes before and they've usually been to do with the image size problem as you noted However, I've had other crashes with no log file that are nothing to do with image sizes and I'm trying to remember what caused them.

Ah, got it: infinite looping with no delays will cause RTC to bomb. For example, say you have a relay that triggers a monster generator and also targets itself to keep triggering the generator, but the relay has no delay associated with it --- RTC will go into an infinite loop that locks up the rest of the "game loop" and never returns control to the rest of the program. Check you don't have any of these kinds of constructs -- if you do, adding in a 1 tick delay solves the problem.

You'll also get the same problem with 2 teleporters that point to each other that teleport objects instantly. Again, you need a tiny delay to stop RTC from going into an infinite teleport loop that will crash the program.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Gambit37 wrote: ...infinite looping with no delays will cause RTC to bomb... 2 teleporters that point to each other that teleport objects instantly.
Thanks, that was it. Made it easy when I new what to look for.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*whew* well done!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool, glad to help! :)