Hey DM fans

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
dayday2008
Journeyman

Hey DM fans

Post by dayday2008 »

Has anyone actually completed the original Dungeon Master?
Revolutionary Greetings!
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

I would suggest that the regulars here have probably completed it several if not many times while occasional visitors have probably completed it at least once. I think I've played through two or three times.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi dayday. You're kidding right? ;-)

This is the premiere Dungeon Master forum with old hands who have been playing it for over 20 years. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm sure I must have beaten it around 30 times on my original disk and several times more using modern clones.

Yeah, I'm just showing off! But I bet someone here has done it plenty more times than me. How about yourself?

Just a tip about subject lines: please put something explanatory in there instead of just "Hey" -- it helps everybody use the forum better. Thanks :)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

day wrote:Has anyone actually completed the original Dungeon Master?
You mean in less than thirty Minutes? With
a single champion? Without any saves?
Check the competitions.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sucinum might be the master of how many times DM has been completed. Antman is the master, i believe, of completing it fast, although he did have competition
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And if any of that impresses you, don't get us started on CSB ;).

Post by kofeur »

Well why not extend the question then?
Has anyone completed all versions of DM?

I completed on Amiga and PC. I want to play it on FM town as I was told it's a very good port, anybody tried that one?
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

ok folks thanks for your input, i know i'm a little behind but i'm working on it :)
Revolutionary Greetings!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

kofeur wrote:I completed on Amiga and PC. I want to play it on FM town as I was told it's a very good port, anybody tried that one?
Dunno if anyone has tried the FMtowns version, but if it is more or less the same as the ST/PC/Amiga/Apple game (except for CD audio music which can be reproduced with any mp3 player) i wouldn't try it.

I played versions that had -according to myself- real differences comparing to the ST original game. And those are the SNES (new graphics) and Sega Saturn (3D) versions. By the way, i never completed them because of the very annoying interface (i hate joypads).
For an interesting challenge, I recommend RTC with the restrict runes and a group/ungroup monsters feature.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, the FM-Towns version is the same as the others except for some extra CD audio that plays at key points.
kofeur
Neophyte

Post by kofeur »

Ah ok!
I thought they had changed more things, thanks!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You might be thinking of the X68000 version, that has a slightly prettier interface -- the main game area has two dragons surrounding it and the entrance graphic has been extended.

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/619
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Beowuuf wrote:Antman is the master, i believe, of completing it fast, although he did have competition
Only for a short period at one stage, PaulH I believe holds that record. Just mentioning it almost sends me back for just one more try....
Paul Stevens wrote:You mean in less than thirty Minutes?
Almost, but not quite. I think PaulH got around 31 and a half, it's an enticing goal though.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, PaulH still holds the record for DM fastest? Well, you have CSB and Conflux (with mal guild), so...you know... I don't think you should hang your head in shame or anything :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I would like to know with what crew it was accomplished.. you need some serious health potions, a potent ass whipper, and a good mage for non stop light.. Nabi, gothmog, daroou, and hisssa?

Even then I'm betting it's a lot of running for your life.. there's not enough time to build levels and get strong.. so your running around the demon level with weaklings :S

crazy :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I though Rain had the CSB record? The nine-minute one? Or am I mistaken and he has the record for something else or was beaten by Antman at a later date...
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I know PaulH did use STamm only. The Axe is killing instantly the first screamers around(throw and collect style). You should watch it if not already done!!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think it was solo stamm, was it not?
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

exactly. lol
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Good old double posting!
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Ameena wrote:I though Rain had the CSB record? The nine-minute one? Or am I mistaken and he has the record for something else or was beaten by Antman at a later date...
Rain''s record didn't count because it had a save or two in it, but it proved CSB can be beaten in under 10 minutes. I think some bits of it might have been slowed down in the game as well because there's some odd slow/fast patches in the recording. It would be possible to beat this recording, but you have to have the boots of speed very early on and the chances of getting them are very, very slim (depends on giggler movements). There's also some teleporters on the top level that could save much time if they happen to be randomly activated (depends on the location of a worm in a room in level 00).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ah okay, fair enough then :).
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Just for fun.. i wanted to try speed-DM as PaulH did but in RTC : i took Sonja because she can chop doors and has 2 pts of mana.
The beginning was quite the same, even if dodging is less efficient because of the monsters ungroup feature in RTC.
Also, you get wounded easier and increasing your priest skill with war cry is too slow, that's why i didn't pick Stamm or Halk.

Finally, it took me less than 10 mins to reach the first RA key and i've just been instant-killed by a magenta worm... :x