Access violation exception

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Hi, this is my first post. I found a problem making my new dungeon: when I put a new object a message appears and the editor crashes. This is the message:

RTC Editor (V0.49) Diagnostic file - Wed May 28 07:55:52 2008
Error:
an access violation exception.
Stack Dump:
RTCModule.RemoveItemFromTile(int 0, pointer 0x0017F297, pointer 0x0017F296, pointer 0x0017F295);
RTCEditDlgEdit.OnButtonAdd();
RTCEditView.OnEditEdit();
RTCEditApp.WinMain();

Is it a bug? or a limit of the editor? Maybe my dungeon is too big (the txt file is 2.32 MB), I put too many objects and graphic.

Thanks for you help and sorry for my poor english
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

A new message. When I try to copy and paste an object, the editor crashes. The file "Diags-20080528084233.txt" says:

RTC Editor (V0.49) Diagnostic file - Wed May 28 08:42:33 2008
Error:
an access violation exception.
Stack Dump:
RTCEditView.OnEditPaste();
RTCEditApp.WinMain();

What's the solution? Thanks
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, a 2 MB text file! That sounds like the biggest so far -- you must be building something impressive!

George will hopefully be able to comment on the bugs...

Welcome to the forums. :)
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Thanks Gambit :)

I've been editing my dungeon since about one year and now I can't finish (I've made about 2/3 of it)

I suspect it's a problem with the number of data stored in .txt file (too many wallsets e.g.). When I erase a wallset or a new object by the editor (from resources), I'm able to add more things on the tiles, but there is a limit. The more I erase, the more I can add. After the limit is reached and after the crash a new "Diags-xxx...txt" is written. Last one was:

Error:
an integer divide by zero exception.
Stack Dump:
utilMemory.utilVerifyMemoryFoundLeak(pointer 0x04D48EF8, string "RTCConvertText", string "GetItemnoFromIdentifier", int 3040);
utilMemory.utilVerifyMemoryFoundLeak(pointer 0x04D4F988, string "RTCConvertText", string "GetItemnoFromIdentifier", int 3040);
utilMemory.utilVerifyMemoryFoundLeak(pointer 0x04DABF88, string "RTCConvertText", string "GetItemnoFromIdentifier", int 3040);
utilMemory.utilVerifyMemoryFoundLeak(pointer 0x04DBD8E0, string "RTCConvertText", string "GetItemnoFromIdentifier", int 3040);
utilMemory.utilVerifyMemoryFoundLeak(pointer 0x04DE2E30, string "RTCConvertText", string "GetItemnoFromIdentifier", int 3040);
utilMemory.utilVerifyMemoryFoundLeak(pointer 0x04E31188, string "RTCConvertText", string "GetItemnoFromIdentifier", int 3040);
utilMemory.utilVerifyMemory();
RTCEditApp.ExitInstance();
RTCEditApp.WinMain();

thanks for your help :o
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

George Gilbert, the RTC programmer, will have to look at this -- sorry I can't help.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Out of interest, how much disk space do all your new images/sounds take up?

Also, where do you have them on your hard-drive relative to your RTC folder? What I mean is this: If your RTC folder is C:\RTC do you keep all your files in something like C:\RTC\Newstuff or are they somewhere else in a long directory structure -- maybe something like E:\assets\resources\files\rtc\newimages\anotherfolder\anotherfolder\...

The reason I ask is that very long path names will be making your TXT file unnecessarily huge. It is better to keep all your files off the RTC folder for maximum efficiency. (I don't think this is anything to do with the memory problem though.)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

My recollection is that the memory limit is huge (IIRC enough for a hundred of thousand objects on a 10 year old PC; gazillions on a modern one!), but I guess it's possible that you've hit some other limit.

Can you please send me your text file and I'll take a look...
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Thanks George. How can I send you my txt file? Do you have an e-mail address?

For Gambit: I tried to put my txt file in a new directory, without the new graphics and sounds. I also put the RTC folder in C: (the folder structure is simple and filenames are short) but I still have same problems :(