Telling story without using lots of dungeon squares

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Inanity
Craftsman

Telling story without using lots of dungeon squares

Post by Inanity »

Hi there... This is my first post here I think so first I should say fantastic work. I find it amazing that you people can make a project like this work so well - it looks like it must have taken one heck of a lot of work. Thanks!

Okay so I'm trying to put some plot into my dungeon, but as you know there is a short limit to the amount of text you can easily put in a single dungeon square. At first I was just using a long hallway with floor text, but that seems like a really cumbersome solution, not to mention it gets in the way of the rest of my dungeon.

I'm now trying to put all the floor text in a single square, and use buttons and relays to destroy the current text and activate the next text, but I haven't had any luck so far. Has anyone been able to do something like this?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

you can use a trigger on the first floor that runs a wallitem_infoscreen that will activate another info screen after its timeout and so on.
all you need is one bitmap per info screen, make a nice background and type the text of your story for example.
you can also add up to 4 buttons, use the wallitem_switch_big bitmap for example, so that you can skip info screens with mouse click.

check CSB.txt on the editor, level 4, right-bottom square.
Inanity
Craftsman

Moderator, oops! Can we move this thread or something?

Post by Inanity »

Hey, I'm pretty stupid. Someone just asked this question right before I did. Can we delete this thread or merge it with the other one or something, so it doesn't clutter things up as much?

Oh and thanks Linflas - Infoscreens are just the ticket, of course.

Hey your avatar is very cool, where'd you get it? Did you do that? I ask because I want to use it in my dungeon.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i made it, and you can use it in your dungeon, no problem :)

we'll keep your post here because it may be useful for others as there's no actual RTC editing documentation and this feature is quite recent.