view range

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

view range

Post by linflas »

does a monster surrounded by real walls still can "see" party in its range and then perform range attacks ?
it seems that it happens in Sukumvit 2 when you're not so far from him (in the chambers of the guardians, in ruby path or in the shop area)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

take a look at the comparition table between SIGHTRANGE and AWARENESS in the original engine:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 8548#78548

of course, in original engine there`s no possibility for a monster to attack you when a monster is sorrounded by a walls (unlike in RTC), but I think they still "hear" your moves (they sense you in a different way than seeing). IMHO.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

interesting point.
so, that awareness through walls can probably be considered as a bug...
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: view range

Post by George Gilbert »

linflas wrote:does a monster surrounded by real walls still can "see" party in its range and then perform range attacks ?
it seems that it happens in Sukumvit 2 when you're not so far from him (in the chambers of the guardians, in ruby path or in the shop area)
It depends on the attack method.

For attack methods that require "line of sight" to the party (e.g. throwing items, casting ranged spells such as fireballs, lightning bolts etc), then the monster needs to have a clear path to the party before performing the attack method.

For attack methods that do not require "line of sight" to the party (e.g. healing self, changing light levels, picking items up etc) then the monster can perform the attack method even if there's a wall inbetween the party and the monster.

If there's a specific attack method that doesn't seem to be working as you expect, let me know and I'll take a more detailed look.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

no need to modify RTC for that. i use the classic des-ir-sar spell but it should be invoked only when you meet the creature itself.
for scenaristic reason, the creature as an object and must be teleported when party reaches a special area. my mistake was to put the creature at its first place in a room where party can be affected behind walls.
i can change the place but this would mean i have to release a new version..