door sound

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

door sound

Post by linflas »

i replaced the door_clank sound, but when playtesting, it is played 4 times instead of one with a little delay. the original clank sound has a buffer value of 4, so i put 1, expecting it would change something but it didn't...
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hmmm - when a door opens the configured door sound is played 4 times (in this respect, the buffer size is irrelevant).

The buffer size merely indicates the number of times the sound can be played *simultaneously*. The original samples from DM were slightly longer than the time it took for the door to move 1/4 of it's distance and so the buffer value is set at 4 so the sounds can overlap eachother.

If you change your sample, so that it has a period of silence at the end and set it's buffer size to 1 then you should only hear it once (because on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time the engine tries to play it, it will notice that it's already playing - albeit silence - and not bother).

Strictly speaking, I should really change this so that the default sample is 4 clanks. That way the sound can easily be changed to anything else without having to worry about that sort of thing, however that might cause backwards compatibility problems (and the possibility of it getting out of sync with the door movements) and so I've avoided it for now...

If you think I should just go for it and do it anyway, please just say so!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

nope, this is only for esthetic reasons : my sound had a sliding chain noise 3 times, followed by the door hitting the ground.
i kept only the slide noise and it is fine.