Perspective of side bitmaps

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ok, i will add a little more then :p

would it be possible for the engine to scale the side1 bitmap bigger and get a side0 bitmap ?

and another one :

i found a little problem with wallitem side bitmap placement : this is not visible for wallitems near the center, but it happens for wallitems like the roof i made below. The rescaling is correct but side1 is not aligned to side2 and side3 :
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

It was possible in DM2 Linflas, so I don't see why it shouldn't ALSO be compitable with RTC.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As has been discussed before, there seem to be strange perspective quirks between some of the engines - PC DM and Atari CSb which whoudl be identical have a perspective shift in some of their items

It could well be there were perspective tweaks to make the new graphics sets to work which might make these niggles - just a theory
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, there are lots of odd aspects to RTCs perspective, I still don't think it's correct.

Couldn't you do this as an alternate wallset instead? You'd have a lot more control.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

The perspectives and wallsets in DM, CSB and DM-II are all different from eachother. Bitmaps taken from one, don't look quite right in the others.

IIRC, the DM-II perspective is most correct (from a geometric point of view), but RTC uses a compromise between them all so that objects in DM / CSB don't look way out.

As Gambit suggests, if you want it to look perfect, then use a wallset and/or floor bitmap (for example, like the railings) where you can specify exactly what each scaling looks like.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

the wooden walls are already an alternate wallset with a wooden ceiling for the interior views, so the only way for me to have a stone tile roof for the exterior with side0 bitmaps is to make 4 flooritems (one for each direction NSEW) i put -all around- the wooden house (i cannot put a flooritem on a wall tile, can i ?).
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

linflas wrote:the wooden walls are already an alternate wallset with a wooden ceiling for the interior views, so the only way for me to have a stone tile roof for the exterior with side0 bitmaps is to make 4 flooritems (one for each direction NSEW) i put -all around- the wooden house
Sounds good to me. Have a look how the railings are done in the graveyard in the RTC DM-II dungeon. I think that's pretty much identical to what you're trying to achieve.
linflas wrote:(i cannot put a flooritem on a wall tile, can i ?).
Well, you *can* do it. Whether it would render correctly though is another question (to which the answer is almost certainly no) :wink: