Please Help.

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Please Help.

Post by Opa-Loka »

2nd time writing this post. Lost the first one prob because I wrote to much.
So I'll try to keep it short.

I know Sophia is not happy and she has taken away the editing guide.
I've seen posts from people who "don't have the time to look" and request help. And seen the replies they get from someone who obviously nicked Hissssa's forked tongue.
I've even seen this question come up in another post.

So please believe me I've looked.

I want to learn how to use the RTC editor. So I use the trial and error technique of making an alteration on the origianal DM. take it for a spin and see if it works.

Don't think I'm gonna have probs making small changes, but start small and work up to a whole map.

I can't understand how to save and play the "new" dungeon.
Q1 What is a TAB? with regards to the space between COMPILE and Modules
Q2 Once edited Do I choose Save As?
Q3 Do I right click and select New Text Document?
Q4 Is it here I put the confusing Compile Modules\New\MyDungeon.txt
Q5 What part of COMPILE Modules\New\MyDungeon.txt? is not needed i.e. MyDungeon where I'd put my own name?
Q6 What do I do next?

I'm sure the editor is IDIOT proof. I guess I'm here to prove that wrong. And that would make me the.......
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

I'm a computer Novice. Please be gentle.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

1. Tab - you press the tab button on your keyboard to create the space between the command (say compile) and the arguments (such as file location)
2. Save as would be best, so you don't over-write the original DM dungeon
3. Don't know what you mean exactly - if you are editing an existing dungeon or creating a new one, then the editor will create a file for you, but yes, you could generate a text file to edit like this first
4. There is a config file in the RTC directory - you put the complie command there.
5. It's all needed if you have put your mydungeon in a folder called new in the modules folder.
6. Run RTC. The game will compile your dungeon instead of allowing you to select dungeons. You can then play the game aswell. A .rtc file is created for a successful compile, which is the usual file you play from if not using the 'compile command

6a) To summarise, you edit the .txt file. You compile the .txt file. A .rtc file is created. The .rtc file is your actual dungeon file RTC looks at and plays with during normal operation.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okay, so first you make a dungeon in the editor. You can mess around and just make one with a couple of squares and nothing actually in it if you want to just make suer you know how to compile. In the editor, save this file. Let's say you call it "Test". The editor will save it as a .txt file (before RTC came with an editor, we all had to make our dungeons in Notepad). I just save all mine in the Modules folder (think it's the default location anyway).
If you want to try and compile this dungeon, open the file called "config.txt". In here you will add the command telling RTC to try and compile your dungeon when you load it up. I don't think it matter where you put it but I always scroll down to the bottom, press Return once or twice, and put it there.
Anyway, you need to write the command "COMPILE", the press Tab, so it makes a big space - you can't press the space bar loads of times - you have to press the Tab key. Then, if your file is, as in this example, "Test.txt" in the Modules folder, you type "Modules\Test.txt" (but without the speech marks).
So the line will look like...

COMPILE Modules\Test.txt

The big space is where you pressed the Tab key.
While this line is in the Config file, every time you load up RTC, it will try to compile your dungeon. When it does so, you will get a window telling you if it's found any Errors or Warnings compiling your dungeon. Warnings are usually minor things, but which won't screw up the game. Errors are normally things you'll need to rectify. If you get no errors, RTC will create a .rtc version of your file (Test.rtc in this case), which would the file type you'd upload for other people to play - it's basically a non-editable version of the dungeon so people can't open it in the editor and look at stuff or change it to cheat ;).
If there are errors, the .rtc file won't be created. Either way, after the error screen comes up, you will find yourself at the doors of your dungeon, ready to enter and check it out for yourself.
RTC will do this every time you load it up until you remove the "COMPILE (etc)" line from your config file.
Hope that helps, and wasn't too N00bish or too advanced or whatever for ye :).
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Hi guy's. Thanks for the quick reply.
Wish my 1st post didn't get lost. My fault for writing novels.
fist off the reason I wanted to edit DM was because I'm stuck on 3rd level. The "Prepare to meet thy doom" level. I'm not stuck because I cant find a key etc, but I'm doing this on a lap top. I don't have the ROTATE LEFT & RIGHT KEYS on my keypad. I'm able to play, :cry: as the normal LEFT & RIGHT KEYS have changed to rotate me. So I'm now unable to shimmy L or R.
You can probably guess where I am. At the start you got to push the small rock at low level which transports you 2 spaces right to leave you infront of the Iron grate which promply shuts. If I had the ability to shimmy Right instead of Rotate Right then Forward I'd make it. From memory (which is going back some 13 odd years) I don't need to perform this move anywhere else.

So what did I want to change. Just the distance to beyond the door. Or alter the door to one with a push button.

Now havin told you about the laptop you'll be glad to know I DON'T HAVE A BUTTON MARKED TAB>>>> YEAH. :cry:

POXY COMPUTER. :evil:

I'll have to pop over to a mates house. Come out the closet. Admit I still play a computer game that is almost 20years old and see if I can do it on his GROWN UP COMPUTER.

Thanks again.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can cop and paste any of the tabbed spaces in the config file

Speaking of the config file, you an remap the keys (the file tells you how)

Remap movement to , as I do for laptop, something like QWEASD
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Opa-Loka wrote:Now havin told you about the laptop you'll be glad to know I DON'T HAVE A BUTTON MARKED TAB>>>> YEAH. :cry:
no TAB key on a laptop ?!?! :shock: are you kidding us ? TAB key exists since the origins !
or maybe it is not named TAB but Image
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Wish I was kiddin. But I really didn't know that was key was the infamous TAB key. Managed to save my first one YEAH :D

Also changed the keys to move L & R.

The men shout and cheer,
The women clap and hoot,
And the children wave MULTI COLOURED FLAGS.

BY JOVE, I BELIEVE HE'S GOT IT.

BEOWUUF, AMEENA, AND LINFLAS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe np ;).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

It took me hours to figure out that I wasn't capitolising the command COMPILE, what a stupid monkey i am, a little hurdle that seemed hudge
keep your gor coin handy
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Hiya Chaos-Shaman
I don't know how long you've been building your dungeon, I've been banging away at it for a few weeks now.
Still got alot of learning to do, still not sure how to use relays yet, I've even looked at DM,CSB,DM2 to see how they work, but at this time I still ain't got e'm.
But I'm learning.
Slowly.
Very slowly.

Oh and don't call yourself STUPID, just read what's above.
THATS STUPID!!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

you can't help but feel stupid when you know it's prolly easy to do

it took me a while to figure out the shop, the best thing to do is duplicate the stuff already done, or examples that were made. it may seem real easy, and is if you're GG, sophia and all the others who know it well.
i was a bit put off when you see how well they designed their dungeons but you don't get better until you make a few dungeons. good luck to you opa-loka
keep your gor coin handy
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Post by Black hand Bika »

:D I'm glad I found this thread , I was having issues for the same reason...(Not the TAB thing)... I wanted to test just a blank room to see whether I did it right, but for the life of me I didn't know where to add in the config.lxt stuff. After reading this I think I do now. I was looking for a specific place for it, but I'm gathering all I have to do is post the script anywhere within the 'config' document. I'll have to see if it works now when I get home.

Besides that I'm really wet behind the ears with much of the programming stuff, and was wondering if it is possible to copy/Paste the information of a chosen tile elsewhere?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I think anywhere in the config.txt file is fine. I have a line at the very bottom of the file and it works fine.

Yes, it is possible to copy the contents of a tile. Just right-click and select "copy", then move to another tile, right-click and select "paste". Of course, it's faster with the keyboard - ctrl+c and ctrl+v, respectively, as in so many other programs as well.
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Hmmm, I thought I actually tried that (it's becoming instinctual) but I may not have selected what I was looking for properly. I'll have to give it another shot. :wink:

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...especially with Relays and the like. It's a pain in the butt trying to go through the help text for the editor when you have 3 kids arguing over the computer. :P
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hi black hand bika :)

Yeah, the relays might take a bit, but once you have it, the light will shine down on you :idea: 3 kids, you're lucky you can get any time on the computer!

As for the COMPILE command, if you're like me and know not a thing, you might miss the capitol thing... even though it is written like capitol everywhere, i mistook the idea that it was COMPILE being emphisized, so it fooled me, i'm no programmer, but wish i was :)
keep your gor coin handy
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

So you're right, placing the config info at the bottom certainly works...however I have recieved a rather obsucre error on getting it to run. I load up my test game to find two identical errors:

Error
Problem: String "0" not supported Expecting an integer in the range of 1 to 999

Anybody got an Idea what I'm missing?! :?:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Looks like there's meant to be a number somewhere in the dungeon file or something, only there isn't when the program looks for it. Maybe try opening the dungeon file in the editor and doing an error-check thing there?
Apprentice

Hmmm, that's where I actually got that error was when I went back into the editor...as I notice it usually tells you what errors are there...I'll go in and check a little more.

I also was given lip from the computer when I checked out the sound effects of a triggered object. Gave me something like :

Failed to load sound:
RTC directory must not be write protected

Damn, this is like cutting the head off of a hydra. :shock:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Write protected? Hmm sounds like the file is set to "Read Only". Right-click the RTC folder icon and change that - should remove that error, at least.
Apprentice

Thanks man. Well I've overcome the error thing. I did find where you can check, and for some reason even when I don't load the dungeon again it doesn't tell me the same error...and I didn't touch a thing.

Oh well. I did get rid of the read only thing. Thanks for the assistance. 8)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Black hand Bika wrote:Oh well. I did get rid of the read only thing. Thanks for the assistance. 8)
Ooooh - can you please post exactly what you did to get rid of it on this thread as other people have been hitting the same problem?

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=26276

Many thanks!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds like all he did was remove the read-only thing!
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

George Gilbert wrote: How do you get rid of Write Protection?
Lessee here what I did was:

To Get Rid of Write Protection
1) Right Click on the RTC folder
2) Selected Properties
3) Then under the General tab, there was a checked in box that said read only...I unchecked it and that was it. Oh, you hit OK after that. (sometimes the simple things gets looked over so I may as well mention it)

Besides that I managed to overcome any other quirks I encountered. Mind you I wasn't trying anything overly complicated. I figured that I'll make my test dungeons usable with me kids, (5,6,10) That way I can start off doing simple stuff and go from there. I think they'll get a kick out of it though. I added their own pics in the Hall of Mirrors with thier own character profiles. :lol:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

But that read-only setting returns if you look at the folder properties again -- go on, try it!
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Gambit37 wrote:But that read-only setting returns if you look at the folder properties again -- go on, try it!
:lol: I'll have to check that out later. I don't think they'd be too happy at work here having me install and tinker with RTC.

Image I did have one other question though: Any new character I make has his/her name in the game appear to be made out of Mana symbols instead of the regular Roman alphabet. Is there a way to change that?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You need to write in capitals - the lower-case letters map to the runes, for if you want to write out a spell in a scroll or on a wall or whatever. So, like lower-case a-f are Lo-Mon, and so on.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's also a cool affect for objects - I think it was RTC or CSBwin I made some items with runes for names, a whole suit of armour mapped to the old power objects

So the helm of EE, Anti-FUL plate, grEavEs (with the ir rune for e as they had been boots of speed) and ku poleyn
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

There was no check in read only though I examined all a RTC folders and upper and lower folders.
It might be bad somewhere of PC.
I will leave it because there is not so much influence in the dungeon
creation.
Please forgive poor English.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i've had this problem from the beginning, and if you get that error message, you might want to reload your editor because i've lost my information a few times before, i have not been changing sounds or adding any unless i do a save and check it first, with that proceedure, you won't risk losing your dungeon. it's only a big deal if you forget to SAVE it :?

it may well be the sound card driver or something
keep your gor coin handy