Dark Portal Help (contains spoilers)

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You won't be able to do anythign to the coatyl yet

Have you played aroudn with the basic spells yet? It might give you a clue
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

ah - yes ahm - mean: no, I havn't playd with the spells. thanks for the help!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Hello everybody.
I tried Dark Portal this sunday with RTC 0.43. It's innovative and refreshing! Lots of nice puzzles and new mechanisms.

Of course, I'm stuck now. ^ ^

-I can't find the flying eye. Where should I look? I tapped all the walls and bushes.
-I can't pass the scorpion. I tried swallowing anything bad to my health in the hope I would get immunized to poison, the green potions, worms rounds, rat meat, but I keep dying instantly.
-I found a strange scroll in the library with a few dots. A map? Tiny letters? (I tried to use the magnifier on it to no avail)
-I can't cast the spell about the whole word holding the key. I thought the map was the correct compound but no.
-in the courtyard (past the troll), there's a place visible behind the bushes. I can't access it.
-in the riddle room, there's an inscription that looks like levers up and down. I couldn't find any use for it.
-I found the horn, but not the crystal blade, I don't know if the spell mentionned in the scroll about them should already have proven useful
-couldn't find a real use for the sunlight spell either
-looking at Linflas's inventory, I realize he has a purple potion I didn't find. How did you get it?

The questions are probably linked, so I only need a few hints please.

Maybe a bug:
I could dodge the blob bolt guarding the green wand, because it was a single shot instead of double
Same for the dragon indeed, I could dodge the fireballs.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I'll help with the most immediate issues. The rest should follow--
Zyx wrote:I found a strange scroll in the library with a few dots. A map? Tiny letters? (I tried to use the magnifier on it to no avail)
How did you try using it? Think of where you would logically put a magnifier to make use of it.
Zyx wrote:I can't cast the spell about the whole word holding the key. I thought the map was the correct compound but no.
It should be. Are you holding it in your hand? I hope this isn't a bug in RTC.
Zyx wrote:I could dodge the blob bolt guarding the green wand, because it was a single shot instead of double
It was a double in earlier versions-- this may be an RTC bug too.
Zyx wrote:Same for the dragon indeed, I could dodge the fireballs.
But this one's intentional. :)
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Scroll open in hand, I tried the magnifier on the content of the scroll (it would be neat if it worked that way), on the empty hand, on the hand holding the scroll, on the eye. I put the scroll on the table or in alcove and tried to do something with the magnifier too.

I'm holding the map in hand, tried the left and the right, emptying the other hand or not.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Zyx wrote:Scroll open in hand, I tried the magnifier on the content of the scroll (it would be neat if it worked that way), on the empty hand, on the hand holding the scroll, on the eye.
You've pretty much said what you needed to do to solve that puzzle. If it is a bug, could it be the same one that's makng the spell/map/key thing not work too?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

Multiple bugs ahoy!
Just tested and the spyglass puzzle is broken, key spell is broken and wand poison blobs did no damage.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The good news is that these are all backward compatibility bugs in RTC, so a recompilation of the dungeon to 0.43 fixed them all. I've now uploaded it.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

I need a hint to find the star (aka bladed sun?)

I feel like I have done everything else except this. I have the three that are one (and they are one), the horn, and only 4 places in the game look like I might have missed something.

-The eye is still alive.
-In the cyclops courtyard, a building entrance is obstructed by vegetation. I have tried to cut and burn my way through it, to no avail.
-Down beyond the black door, in the room with the fireball switch, a pillar blocks the access to another room. I cannot seem to be able to remove it.
-At the skull door beyond the eye array, I am lacking the item that would fit in the holes.

I have been everywhere else I could access at this point, and solved every riddle. Well, except for the banshee. So I give up, where is it?
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

In the room before the eye, have you tried interacting with everything you can see?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The vegitation bit isn't a door, jsut some graphical quirk of the DM wallaset and nothing, and any holes would be shooter holes
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

If you mean the holes with the pictures above them (a crown, sword and scales if I remember rightly?) you'll figure that out in time after solving some more puzzles...
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

ZoKathRa wrote:In the room before the eye, have you tried interacting with everything you can see?
Boy have I ever!
I'm pretty sure I have taken every item in that room. Besides, according to the 'evil eye' scroll, I should find the item I seek after solving one, possibly two other riddles, which I have.

Thanks Beowuuf, I won't be spending anymore time trying to burn down the greenery.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Have you found a use for all of the 6 elemental spells yet?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, you need to interact with everythign in that two cells room...you are very creative, so I'm surprised you haven't tried this one. As zokathra said, the initial step is linked to the elemental spells, then you will get what you need to take on the winged eye

Sorry about the holes thing, I mis-understood what you meant by the skull door/eyes - you will understand that aea too once you get this item!
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Zokathra: There's 'des' I haven't found a use for. Of course that's not what you meant.

With yours and Beowuuf's help, I am done with the game. Thank you. I still have questions though:

1) I swear that pillar blocks an access to an open room. Is it possible to enter it? Some kind of secret area maybe?
2) It is possible to bypass the troll entirely, using one's inventory cleverly. Was it meant to be so?
3) I don't understand how the 'evil eye' scroll relates to the way one finds the weapon to kill it. Based on the text on that scroll, I was looking for the item somewhere else entirely. (under the king, since you ask.) Could someone PM me a rationalization of that scroll that makes sense?
4) Is there anything to do with the banshee, or is it just there for decoration?

Otherwise, nice game. I would have liked a few more alternate solutions to the puzzles (Why doesn't the lightning shooter kill the mummy?) and sometimes there is no logical connection from one puzzle's premise to its solution that I can fathom, but it was a lot of fun. So thanks to the author.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Parallax wrote:I swear that pillar blocks an access to an open room. Is it possible to enter it? Some kind of secret area maybe?
No, it's just a decoration.
Parallax wrote:It is possible to bypass the troll entirely, using one's inventory cleverly. Was it meant to be so?
No, but as soon as you mentioned it, I know what you did. Nice. ;)
Parallax wrote:Could someone PM me a rationalization of that scroll that makes sense?
The scroll doesn't really tell where to find the weapon. It's more about what to do with it once you have it.
Parallax wrote:Is there anything to do with the banshee, or is it just there for decoration?
Decoration.
Parallax wrote:Why doesn't the lightning shooter kill the mummy?
I actually thought of this, but had managed to convince myself the mummy would be gone by the time anyone would activate the shooter. Hmm, my mistake. :)
Parallax wrote:sometimes there is no logical connection from one puzzle's premise to its solution that I can fathom
Is there any puzzle that sticks out as being particularly bad? This dungeon was inspired by the game Shadowgate, and, to tell the truth, in that game, the puzzles were even less logical. I actually tried to make them a little more orderly.
Parallax wrote:So thanks to the author.
That's me. :D I'm glad you liked it!
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

Well..

Stuck too although I read the 7 pages of the topic... :?
What to do with the Ra key ?
How to open the OH lock ?
And any use of the Power Towers ?
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

$eoub!!! wrote:What to do with the Ra key ?
You will find the lock soon.
$eoub!!! wrote:How to open the OH lock ?
You've essentially answered your own question, though there are a few tasks that have to be carried out to actually get the key... ;)
$eoub!!! wrote:And any use of the Power Towers ?
They'll be handy for carrying around all the items you find.
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

Sophia wrote: You've essentially answered your own question, though there are a few tasks that have to be carried out to actually get the key... ;)

They'll be handy for carrying around all the items you find.
I tried a lot of thing such as Oh spell or Oh Ir Ros spell but in which place ?

EDIT : I forgot to thank you !
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Are you sure you're using the spell in the right place...? You don't use it instead of the key...
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

I tried at the OH lock..
I tried on the 3 fountains..
I tried against the Coatl..
I tried on the grid..
I tried at each pit..
I tried against the banshee..
I tried face the broken wall...
I tried with the Ra Key on the left hand, on the right hand...

Well, and plenty of...
S
T
U
C
K

:(
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Have you got the grappling hook yet? Remember, it can be used to climb both in and out of pits...

I hope that clue isn't either too spoilery or too obscure... :?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

I tried all pits for no result..

I'm pretty sure that key is obtainable with a "Air" spell but where... :(
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Hmm... I'm not sure what else to say without giving it away.

When you find the corn, you know you're close...
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Hehe, these are good clues.

If you really can't figure it out at all, PM me, and I'll just tell you, though. :P
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

Thank you for all advices, dear ones !
I played all the morning and progressed a lot thanks to this topic and with luck. :D

But now, I don't know how to kill the materializer and what to put into the zo hole...
Also, I'm pretty sure the Druid Staff can be combined with something but the Zo Ev spell doesn't work with the Silver Orb (any link with the Silver arrow ?).

Help ! :lol:
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

Parallax wrote:
It is possible to bypass the troll entirely, using one's inventory cleverly. Was it meant to be so?

No, but as soon as you mentioned it, I know what you did. Nice. Wink
What did he do?!
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Well there's only one thing that can go in the Zo hole, you just have to find out how to get it in there...
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

TheMormegil wrote: What did he do?!
Maybe with "Désir augmenté" ? :D
ZoKathRa wrote:Well there's only one thing that can go in the Zo hole, you just have to find out how to get it in there...
Lot of things are round in that game.. Try a lot of thing and a lot of Zo and Zo Ev spell on them... In vain...
Found a magic box though.. I don(t know what to do with it :?
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !