Xbox 360

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Xbox 360

Post by cowsmanaut »

Played it tonight.. not too bad at all. Graphically the demos I played were not really showing the full power of the systems as far as I can tell. But the controler was actually comfortable and easy to use. Played Perfect Dark and this other game where you morph into other beasts.. both were cool. I also watched others play the hockey games.. but not really my deal. Lot's of use of bump maps, virtual displacement, high polygon counts and reflection maps etc.. I can see a lot of potential.. and all the games there and the Xbox's as well were not the final versions that will be in stores soon.. but early betas of them. So I can imagine it will be even better.

Got to go back into the VIP room and play with the wireless system on a very large TV 40 inch I think in a 4 player deathmatch of Perfect Dark.. lot's of fun. :)

All in all, I think the launched PS3 games I've seen demos for will blow the visuals I saw tonight out of the water in some cases.. however, overall I think the XBOX is a worth while game system.. all it's features seem to be what will make it more than just a game system..

Pretty cool

moo
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Played on one the other day - here in the UK they've got the systems up in Game stores. The system itself looks a lot better than I thought it would and is actually quite nice looking too. The controllers were bolted to the demo pod so I couldn't get a proper feel for them but they just seem like a standard console controller.

I'm quite impressed with the visual quality of the games too, although to me it just looked like a high-end PC. The visual effects are certainly impressive for a home console. The GUI is well presented and fluid, and I like the fact you can hop in and out of a game without having to get up (because I'm lazy like that!) I would have loved to have played PD or Project Gotham Racing as those two look the most impressive of the launch titles, but alas, there are only movies available :(

I agree that the PS3 games look better but I'm aprehensive about that in the fact that they're not actually running on a PS3, but on a system running to PS3 specs.

I'm really considering getting a 360 now but the price is quite a hole in the pocket... However Gamestation in the UK seem to be doing a deal where you trade in your PSP and 2 boxed games and they'll give you the core system for £29.99 and the super-deluxe-whateveritscalled bundle for £99.99. Judging by the fact I hardly play on my PSP, it's quite a tempting offer...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

that's like 60 bucks canadian.. that's insane!! we're looking at about 500 bucks canadian for the system..

crazy.. You look at the PSP.. about 200 bucks (£100) and the games about 30 or so each (£15) and you're looking at the total of about 260 bucks (£130) off if you got it at full price back. but on a system thats about 500 bucks (£250) and you get it for 60 bucks (£29.99) .. that's giving you more than your games and system are worth!

wild..
ParuNexus
Adept

JEFF Minter's GREAT RETURN!!!

Post by ParuNexus »

I don't have the money yet but I will get the 360 for the SOUL PURPOSE of the return Of Jeff "the Yak" Minter. His newly created Lightsynths code named Neon on the 360 has me hooked.
And FOR SHAME TO ANYONE WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO JEFF MINTER IS! Anyone who comes here should have heard of him before!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Just make sure it actually works... :roll:

The failure rate on these things is absurd.

I'd also like to know what happens when you get bored with FPSes and racing games.

Don't be surprised about my profound cynicism about the state of modern gaming-- why do you think I am so fond of the old classics, like DM? :wink:
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I was looking forward the the Gamecube game Jeff Minter was developing then it suddenly got canned :(
Sophia wrote:The failure rate on these things is absurd.
I've read a lot about the power supplies overheating and causing the system to shut down. I wouldn't know because I've not got the system and the date we've been given is 'Feb 06'!!!!

I know what you mean about the state of modern gaming - I hardly play on my PSP due to the fact most of the games are either some EA Sport, Racing or a lame attempt at an FPS. And all that seems to be coming out for the 360 / PS3 are those types of games. No innovation or originality at all. I don't care about 'Real Time Sweat', that's for CGI movies! Whatever happened to PLAYING the game instead of watching it? I'm holding out for the Revolution, hoping Nintendo have got hold of something REALLY special this time...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, the one here has not overheated yet.. been played a little bit.. so who knows.. perhaps these other people put it in someplace here it was enclosed (to hide the wires or whatever.. being encased as such caused the heat to collect and boom.. over heat. Where as this one is in the open air so to speak.. plus the place is a bit chilly.

anyway.. Nintendo.. the 2 button garage door opener is not impressing me yet.. I'll wait to see it in action.. but their decision to NOT support HD seriously irks me.. HD Tv's are coming down in price and there are more and more shows adopting the new format.. it's gradual.. but it's moving.. there is no reason why it won't eventually take off.. I think they are painting themselves into a corner..

moo
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It wouldn't be the first time that Nintendo ignores a trend with their consoles. The N64 still supported cartridges instead of CDs, which made the games more expensive to produce, and the space on cartridges was tiny. That is why Square pulled Final Fantasy away from Nintendo, and that was a serious blow to them.

Concerning the demise of modern games, I agree, there is absolutely no innovation going on. That is why I don't really play new games anymore, I feel I have seen them all years ago, only with simpler graphics.
ParuNexus
Adept

modern gaming

Post by ParuNexus »

well, i for one dislike the majority of all these First person games. however I do have a place for modern gaming. how do I seperate the line? firstly graphics themself I don't care about. I'd say First thing is Story So i'm mroe heavly into rpg's. then game play, what a game offers. In general rpg's 1st, strategy games 2nd fighting 3rd and "demolition racing" 4th. a select few first person games sorta land in the 1st and 2nd range...
metroid prime on GC GooD course i'll follow metroid forever...
Jedi Kight serries PC only good!
original Unreal Tournament PC GOOD!

thats basically it for first person games.
about the funnest xbox i've played is PHantom Dust. Extremely LONG and HARD game.
other funs ones, fighting games, Guilty gear serries(anime 2d fighting, unlike most 2d fighting games). SNK esp King of Fighters..., Soul Caliber serries.
Very impressed with Xmen Legends 1 &2. marvel nemsis sadly is so lame... plus like so many others i've found a playing with others on games also enjoyable. So yea there is like atari karts i could do but thinking aobut getting mario kart DS and playing with buddies is cool. not all of them know aobut the older games or oculd easily get it and figure a way to play online.

One good friend I use to play like Warcraft 2 and now I'm preparing to do starcraft and SW: Galactic Battle grounds(the RTS) sometimes yes it's the same old stuff and sometimes it surprise's you hwo different they are. Starcraft is an evolved Warcraft 2, Galactic Battlegrounds use's Age of empires 2 engine yes a rts but so vastly different then starcraft or warcraft 2 or 3 it makes you think differently how to approuch the game.

So yes I'm into modern gaming. some games are special gems. Phantom Dust is a dream come true, it fit the story i've been long for, the game play is so crazy and it takes a real pro to get anyplace in the game. Only on Xbox it would be hard to do on PC. this one is going in my top favorite games.

edit 2: I'll get them all at some point for honestly there is not a single system I don't eant for atleast 1 game. Most of the others I can do virutal copies and that normally works fine for me.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

cowsmanaut wrote:well, the one here has not overheated yet.. been played a little bit.. so who knows.. perhaps these other people put it in someplace here it was enclosed (to hide the wires or whatever.. being encased as such caused the heat to collect and boom.. over heat. Where as this one is in the open air so to speak.. plus the place is a bit chilly.

anyway.. Nintendo.. the 2 button garage door opener is not impressing me yet.. I'll wait to see it in action.. but their decision to NOT support HD seriously irks me.. HD Tv's are coming down in price and there are more and more shows adopting the new format.. it's gradual.. but it's moving.. there is no reason why it won't eventually take off.. I think they are painting themselves into a corner..

moo
A few 360's that did overheat were placed on carpet, but any person with an ounce of sense knows not to place anything electrical that generates heat (especially those with air vents to get rid of it) on carpet.

I'm impressed with the design of the controller but the lack of REAL games to show it off is quite concerning. It's still early stages yet though... Hmmm, I know what you mean about the lack of HD on the Revolution, Nintendo didn't have SCART support on the Gamecube in the US (but they did include Progressive Scan :? ) and they removed it completely for the N64, whilst the SNES supports it. They don't seem to be particularly wise in choosing output formats particularly well (the colour bleed on the N64 is appauling). However they seem to have an excuse this time round, saying that not including HD support will reduce the cost of the console. Not sure how true that is seeing as that's the excuse they gave on the N64 too...

The HD might not be that big of a deal in the UK anyway - it's only just getting off the ground here and the 360 is the only electrical piece of kit that's pushed it in it's marketing campaign. Casual gamers, as so many UK gamers seem to be (such a shame really), aren't really bothered about HD anyway, they can't be arsed either spending an extra £70 to get the better bundle or the £20 or so to get the cable. Whenever I ask my friends if they have a SCART cable for a console, they think I mean the little thing that converts the AV lead to the SCART socket (not true SCART at all) and they're as happy as Larry playing with the godawful AV lead :(
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Trantor : Final Fantasy was taken from N64 for the same reason Megaman and some other Nintendo titles. Did you ever wonder how Sony had such a big set of games at launch for an essentially new console? Sony was developing the nintendo 64 for Nintendo. It was to be a CD based system and when the Nintendo execs got together to talk about copy protection.. they all decided half way through production of the N64 that CD's were to easy to copy and carts were much more difficult so they should switch back to carts. Well.. this is when they said, ok Sony, we're very sorry but we don't need your knowledge of CDs anymore.. we will do this ourselves.. do whatever you like with the stuff you made.

Well, the result ofcourse was that Sony said, let's finish it. Then they went to all the developers who were ALREADY IN PRODUCTION OF THE GAMES FOR IT .. all of those companies getting a memo saying sorry guys, you need to rewrite tonnes of code and spend loads of cash to redo all the work you've done the past year because Nintendo doesn't like CD's anymore. Well, you can imagine the result when sony said.. hey we're going to finish what we started, do you want to still make games for it.

Hmmm.. go bankrupt and redo everything we did.. or finish our game on budget and release for a different bigname company.. hmm.. hard choice :P

The result, N64 had less release titles, came out later than PS1, and essentially lost a big chunk of market to their previous partners. STUPID STUPID STUPID.. they had finally killed off Sega.. their only real competitors.. and then they go an make their worst nemesis of all time. They gave them links to Capcom.. a MAJOR league player in the game market for consoles. One of nintendo's secret weapons when it came to sales. And then Square as well.. the other secret weapon... like let's just hand the industry over.. :P *sigh* morons...

back to the 360 here... Having HD support is about being able to use it if you want/need to. It's going forward right now.. slowly. However, one thing we can say about Microsoft is they know how to push the market. When they adopt HD and thousands of consoles are made and the other companies know it. You can bet an increase in production of HD supporting titles. With this we already have a lot of HD tv's on the market and they are increasing. The DVD market is due to begin production of HD DVD for future titles. It's growing, as I said more and more TVshows and broadcast stations are beginning to support HD. There will be a point where you won't have a choice anymore.. everything will have it. If you have an old TV.. it will die eventually and the new one you buy will have it.. and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner :P

Trust me.. I see it more and more growing around me.. see it on the Net, hear it in food courts, and on the bus. People talking about getting HD this or that.. here in canada and in the states lots of people are on their way.. prices for HD TV's are going down.. and you will have the poor revolution and your Xbox or PS3 and those two will look nice and crisp.. and the revolution will be blocky.. and ugly.. so much for innovation.. :P

moo
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Cows, as far as I know, the PSX was originally intended as the CD drive for the SNES, but got pulled back when Nintendo realized that other CD systems like the Mega CD, CD32 or Atari Jaguar were not successful. I also think that Nintendo demanded that Square develops Final Fantasy 7 for the Nintendo 64; I know I have seen pictures of a short battle sequence of FF6 especially done for the N64 just to show how the next FF will look like. It definitely wasn't very wise to give Sony the opportunity to take the market by storm.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

PadTheMad wrote:Casual gamers, as so many UK gamers seem to be (such a shame really)
Hmm... I'm not sure if this is a shame or not. I guess it depends on what you mean. I mean, to be honest, I blame the "hardcore gamers" for the stagnation in the industry. They want the biggest, baddest, best FPS, with groundbreaking revolutionary 3D graphics that require a $400 card (but no major gameplay innovations mind you!) so they can play online for 9 hours a day and show off their 1337 sk1llZ. They want an RPG that takes 80 hours to complete, not counting the subquests, becuase when you spend 15 hours straight leveling up to level 99 before you even enter the first dungeon, you tend to blow through the game pretty quick-- oh yeah, and this one needs cutting-edge visuals too.

Hmph. :roll: :lol:
ParuNexus wrote:metroid prime on GC GooD course i'll follow metroid forever...
Jedi Kight serries PC only good!
original Unreal Tournament PC GOOD!
I kind of liked the original UT, too, though it seemed entirely too based on multiplayer. The bots were stupid as dirt, and forget about online-- how do you compete with the ones who play it to death and then some?

If you're going to do multiplayer, at least provide the option to be something other than the standard "deathmatch guy." Here is where I give a nod to the Aliens Vs Predator series of games, as they let you pick the Alien or the Predator in multiplayer, in addition to the Marine. Allowing the "enemy" classes, balanced for multiplayer of course, allows for so much more interesting gameplay.

I don't know much about Doom 3, but think about that for Doom 2-- a player controlled cacodemon! The balance ain't bad, if you ask me: tons of HP, can fly, however, it only has that stupid, slow fireball attack (but it does do tons of damage if it hits)
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Well by casual gamers I mean people who just want to play Fifa or Pro Evo and play the latest FPS because it's louder and has more explosions than the last one. Not the people who really appreciate games. Perhaps I used the wrong term there.

I see where you're comming from with the 'hardcore gamers' comment, and thankfully, I'm not one of them. I just want a game that costs me £20, that I can perhaps spend a couple of hours on and enjoy it. I don't want to sit for hours in front of a game I've played before because the developers just wanted more money and made a half-arsed update or a blatant rip-off. It's a shame that more developers can't see this and instead have become money-hungry corporate machines. Perhaps that's what they have to do to stay in business. I just don't know.

Maybe the Revolution could be the saviour of gaming - a simple but effective controller, balanced multiplayer gaming, games with that 'one more go' factor and above all things, fun. But then again, perhaps it's a step in the wrong direction. Maybe gaming as we knew it has had it's day and now is the era of a new type of gaming and gamer. The only way we're going find out is by playing the games and judging for ourselves...

Now if only I could get my hands on a damn 360!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

There are a few good games released here and there.. games with some thought behind them.. not just the best and baddest FX and gimmics.. Though when you combine quality of graphics and sound with good gameplay then you get real winners. We talk about DM as being so old and outdated in most cases but still fun. Thing is.. it was graphically innovative and stereo sound.. wooo when nothing else was at the time. So really, it's an example of something that was more amazing than anything else of the time.

I didn't see a lot of those back then.. and I still don't see a lot of that now. I don't know that all games where better back then.. since they had just as many stinkers back then. Lot's of games with no real thought.. just let's make a game.. give it a nice package and hope it sells.

I don't think things really change as much as we suggest.. even though I would like to think otherwise.. just our awareness of things changes.. and we look back to the past through rose coloured glasses all misty eyed and relive our youth.. ahh... :)

anyway.. there is always someone out there ready to buy crap.. regardless of the fact most people will tell them so.. movies, music, TV shows, and games alike.. so they will never go away

moo
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I also don't think that gaming is dying, there will always be people who buy games, and today, the acceptance of gaming as a hobby has risen significantly. 15 years ago, games were considered as something for kids without a real social life; fortunately, that has changed.

Concerning the debate whether games were better or worse "back then", I'd put it this way - the contrast was larger in the past. You had many more really crappy games (anyone remember the countless horrible games based on movies by Ocean, like Robocop, Terminator or Total Recall?), but there was also more innovation going on. This, of course, also had to do with the evolving hardware; a game like DM was never possible on the C64, while the Amiga could never have handled something like Doom and so on. Today, you have few really bad games with major flaws, but also few that are truly innovative or ground-breaking. Most games are somewhere between mediocre and nice. This also has to do with the increased costs in games - the financial risk is too high today to deliver a really crappy game, dozens or hundreds of people are involved in a game today - 20 years ago, it sometimes would be 2 or 3 or even a single person. Furthermore, today's hardware is so advanced that practically everything you can imagine can be done - there is little room for innovation from the hardware side.

In my opinion, there were two phases in the history of gaming where true change occured. The first one was in the late 80s, when more games were specifically developed for home systems than for the arcades. The games became longer and easier this way. The second phase was in the middle 90s, when 3D took over everything and gave us games like the first-person-shooters or Tomb Raider. In my opinion, the last system that really had an exceptional amount of innovative games was the Dreamcast, with games like Crazy Taxi (an arcade game, but as good as they get), Shenmue, Jet Set Radio or Phantasy Star Online that brought online gaming to consoles.

Concerning the 360, my friend had one pre-ordered, I will check on it soon. The one game that really interests me so far is Perfect Dark Zero.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

" Amiga could never have handled something like Doom"

You are so totally WRONG.. I have doom on my Amiga.. the port code was rather small and it runs nice and fast. In fact there were a number of Doom like games that ran even on an Amiga 500. The game Gloom (big difference in name eh :P) is one of those for which I still have the box here. There was one I played which was just a tech demo where they were trying to prove they could do something like doom but better. This thing had dynamic lighting and such.. was kind of cool. If doom had been made before DM and Dm had been initially developed on the Amiga.. we may have had more movement to that background.. but then again.. maybe not. Anyway, had to point out that the The amiga was leaps and bounds ahead of PC for a long time.. in fact people were still doing ports of things that came out on PC and everone was saying oooooh.. ahhhh.. and "Amiga can't do that" and someone proves them wrong. For years after Amiga stops being developed. I did 3D on my Amiga 3000 with a program now only for PC called Cinema 4D. pushing and pulling polygons in real time. I head they even did a Quake port for the Amiga 4000 and 1200. Needed AGA to run.

The biggest thing about a console at release and after it's dead is that when they get it.. people don't know what they CAN do with it.. and when it's on it's last legs they finally figure it out and release some cools stuff. The mega man series went on in Japan after Nes died here.. and you see the graphics and what they squeezed out of the console.. its' fantastic.

I think innovation comes when someone reaslises.. Hey.. what if we mix this with that.. look at the result.. "can we do that?... "lets find out"

and bam.. something new hits. Like Normal Mapping in Doom 3 and Halflife 2. Normal mapping had been around a while.. but it took ID to think.. hey.. what if we take this and use it for a game? but how? And off goes the game market in a new direction.

Also, you have still a few successfull garage gamers. Two or 3 guys on a project that hits big. It's not very often.. but it still happens. The thing is with the tools around today you have the ability to do so much more in less time with less people.. It means for the bigger companies more people and a nice budget that they can do more faster and get more games out in a year. the small companies with a few guys make soemthing more like 1 a year untill a big company notices them and then buys them :P

anyway.. off to work with me..

moo
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

PadTheMad wrote:I just want a game that costs me £20, that I can perhaps spend a couple of hours on and enjoy it. I don't want to sit for hours in front of a game I've played before because the developers just wanted more money and made a half-arsed update or a blatant rip-off. It's a shame that more developers can't see this and instead have become money-hungry corporate machines. Perhaps that's what they have to do to stay in business. I just don't know.

Now if only I could get my hands on a damn 360!
I find this amusing because you hit the nail on the head but then you want a 360 anyway. :wink:

What's coming out for it? Is there anything new, original- is there anything that screams "gotta have it"? There wasn't a single title, for me. It was all FPS this, racing that, sports this, and more and more towards the "hardcore" direction.

My boyfriend coined a great word: "glamer." It's a combination of "gamer" and "lamer," and to me, it perfectly describes the 8-hours-a-day, ultra-competitive, single-minded person that has completely destroyed casual online play, FPSes, RPGs, and is working on the rest of the game industry as a whole.

I'll admit, I'm not the biggest console gamer around (ok, by that, I mean, I haven't bought a console when it was new since the SNES :P ) so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Game enjoyment is subjective anyway, so I could be the distant minority, and everything's peachy in the world of games.

Or maybe there's going to be another crash. :shock:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I wait for games I hear so many people say is amazing and why.. there are a few from time to time. Some not in my interest (sports games :P ) but things like Mario Kart DS.. new game.. old fame. Some new elements added.. just enough to spice it back up a bit. All the old traks you know and love and online play through wifi.. I'm sorry but that is just wicked. I can play with people around the world. An online gamer community based on handhelds. I can see something like that growing. not to mention they will have the same options for metroid.. I think that's just cool.

For me there are some games that are only so so in game play.. nothing new there but the design, music, and or puzzles make it a new experience. I think those games are still worth playing. However, being an artist.. I can apreciate the time and effort in those little polygon players.. and the animation.. the FX.. I can wander through a CG world and enjoy going oooh and ahhh.. at graphical feats. However, that is not everyone's cup of tea..

some games are good to play.. others good to gawk at..

moo
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Sophia wrote:I find this amusing because you hit the nail on the head but then you want a 360 anyway. :wink:

What's coming out for it? Is there anything new, original- is there anything that screams "gotta have it"? There wasn't a single title, for me. It was all FPS this, racing that, sports this, and more and more towards the "hardcore" direction.
I just want it because I'm a boy and a gadget freak. If something new and shiny appears I immediately want it but once the novelty wares off it'll just sit gathering dust. That's the same mistake I made with the PSP - I bought it the day it came out in the UK and I played on it for about a week or two and not really touched it since. There was only one game that really caught my eye with the PSP and that was Lumines, another example of a simple but fun to pick up and play game. All the other PSP launch titles were essentially, toned down PS2 games anyway. I'd rather listen to music or write on the train home and when I'm in the flat I'd rather play on a big TV with surround sound as opposed to a small screen with dodgy speakers. Now I've had chance to reflect, I'd rather spend the money on a new PC so I can go about creating some games I want to play!

Now the DS - that's a machine with innovative games. Granted a lot of games are just lame ports of their GBA versions with 'added touchscreen functionality' which is normally limited to menu navigation or some rubbish minigame. Another prime examples of big companies wasting money - the DS can play GBA games anyway so what's the point?! Some developers have taken the DS's capabilities to a new level. Take Another Code: Two Memories (or Trace Memory as it's called in the States I think). That actually uses the DS as a console to solve puzzles, for example, you need to actually close the DS to solve a stamping puzzle. The overall experience makes you feel more involved in the game. Now I know puzzles like this are difficult to achieve on a console, but that's no reason why developers can't take the initiative and make the players feel more involved in the game somehow. That's why I have high hopes for the Revolution - the controller seems to give the player(s) more control over their actions in a game.

Microsoft and Sony seem to have aimed to get an all rounded media player into the living room that plays really good looking games. Most people can do that with a Media Centre PC anyway. I'm not bothered about being able to connect my PSP or i-pod to my console, what's the point? I've got a PC that can do that already... They should have focused their efforts in trying to make the games more enjoyable instead of better looking. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

"you say you want a revolution, well, you know.."

The only thing that worries me about the revolution at the moment is the whole concept of how we are expected to game. I see mad hacking and slashing and spining and jumping... potentially screaming... then comes law suits for all the people who throw out their shoulders and trip over their coffee tables etc. Mass destruction and injury. I mean that's beyond the possibly kludgy interface of holding a little two button stick in front of you and pushing it foward to walk and twisting it side to side to turn.. :P Just wondering if they will have stretching exercises before each game? or big warnings to move the coffee table and chairs to a safe distance?

Maybe install a wrist strap for the controller. So that when you start swinging wildly it doesn't slip out and take out your cat or TV... or friends.. :P

The DS, is a nice little system with some good games and also plays the GBA games.. the psp... has a lot of untapped potential... few games.. and a bunch of DVDs.. WTF?? if I wanted a portable DVD player I'd get one.. where it has a larger screen and plays REAL DVDs.. not this tiny reduced crap that has no extras.. not to mention I likley already OWN these titles so what.. I have to buy them again??? I'm waiting to see someone tap into the PSP's power.. so far it's only been the hacker community who have pretty much taken advantage and put Emulation into it.. as well as some other interesting hacks. Supposedly someone had windows running on it. the potential is there..

meh.....

moo
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i'll never buy a console for gaming, my favorite games are still economy-sims (that's the term? dunno) like mad tv/news, biing!, fugger, anstoss or international ones like the several tycoons, a bit too much builder-style, but still ok. back then, i even had maximum score at sc2k and transport tycoon :)
atm, i'm mostly playing civilization (still 3), that really rocks.
so a console would never really supply me with enough games, i'm not interested in final fantasy plus clones, sports games or beat-em-ups (mortal kombat 1-3 was enough). simply not enough depth to keep me hooked.
ParuNexus
Adept

"hardcore old skool lazy bum"

Post by ParuNexus »

lots fo comments where to start. ok "hardcore gamer level to 99 and easy game" it is rather ironic that most the newer rpg's are so much easier then the older ones. If your lucky it will have alot of stuff you can collect and spend so much mroe time finishing optional stuff. But in general the older rpg's where logner, harder and normally didn't guide you around. and yet the "Hardcore" gamer atleast the ones fititng the discription here are also of the newst fighting and fps gaming but when asked of Ultima they respond "Final Fantasy Ultimate Weapon?" Or Tunnels and Trolls.

PErsonally what i am, I'm not complete old skool nor 100% Hardcore gamer. Yea So i like playing Tony hawk and i stll remember the day's of the nes Skate or Die games.

What I found so good about UT was that firstly a friend wanted me to join in and play with him, yes the AI was rather dumb compared ot mroe modern versions of the Ureal games. yes you have basically to races human and "whatever robotic thing" and there wasn't much difference.
the graphics were simpler the power needed to run the game lower and the bandwith of playing online was less.
Yea i played with the hardcore gamers you speak of. some even laughed at my death. I had fun playing and that really was what i liked about it. Was I good? sometimes, Did i Ever try to rub it into people? never.
Did i ever complete the SP game? oh hell no, The only way i could seriously get to the end of the game of UT is by cheating.

I played doom, it was ok for a while, But Jedi Knight is not simply Quake(3\Arena) yes yes it use's that engine for the last 2 games but it is so vastly different. now people have there own opinions of what part of Star wars is good and bad.the Jedi knight games rank right below episode 4 5 and 6 for good.I serously coudl get lost in the SW universe just playing.
or when things get too stale add characters outside Star wars and play. Add a Link, a Samus, a few different spidermans(venom, etc) heck just for oddities toss in FREDDY KRUGER. I use to play like 8 and a half hours everyday online. even when there wasn't something i wanted to join I'd practice with just bots. I did beat each game atleast on easy, I have my own way of playing but mostly online I'm just lucky. I know a few basic things o nthe keyboard and mouse but a master? never. Do i fall of maps? oh yes So yea basically i suck But I just love playing it, even if I am the one dying the most and worest player on the entire server i'm on.

I try offline games 3 way's the first and just go play and move on in the game the 2nd time I Cheat and rhe 3rd time I hang around and get more powerful, no not that "level 99" but having beaten the game and knowing the hardships of certian area's I get better before hand. Once I master that thats how i play 95% of the time(the other 5% cheating). Online, i just go out and have fun almost paintign a sign saying "TOTAL LOSER COME KILL ME".

So yes I do fit some of that Glamer and hardcore gamer but I'm also not completely the Dark side either. So i play a few of these "crapy games" but given the # of them out there here i am playing sometihng somewhat older now thats not your typical FPS, rpg fanatic or whatever.

Heck I own and paly fihgting games for years when someone shows up never played before and pretty new to ifhgt games and they beat me.
There was a JO\JA clan i use to play against some of htem got the game for only a month and i've had for over a year now and they could have killed me like 30 times before i killed one of them(with ganging up).

ok thats it.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

PadTheMad wrote:I just want it because I'm a boy and a gadget freak. If something new and shiny appears I immediately want it but once the novelty wares off it'll just sit gathering dust...I'd rather spend the money on a new PC so I can go about creating some games I want to play!
I'm neither a boy nor a gadget freak, but I can understand the reasoning. :)

Saying the words "game creation" gets my interest, though. What kind of games do you like to make? Are you more of a programmer, or an artist, or what? I have tried making a couple simple games; I am pretty good with C/C++ but I don't know anything about 3D.

I enjoy the whole process of game design and such... I can design a twisted dungeon, anyway, you know that firsthand. :twisted:
ParuNexus wrote:So yes I do fit some of that Glamer and hardcore gamer but I'm also not completely the Dark side either. So i play a few of these "crapy games" but given the # of them out there here i am playing sometihng somewhat older now thats not your typical FPS, rpg fanatic or whatever.
I hope you didn't think I meant that as a "scathing indictment" of you or anyone else here, or anything, because I didn't. I was just citing a general trend that I saw.

First of all, if your primary purpose in playing games is to have fun, then you can't be that close to the dark side. There are people who treat them as more of a competitive sport than a leisure pursuit-- look at "gaming leagues" that are popping up and such. To me this feels like the entirely wrong mentality, but that's just me. :)
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

you know what however, As i said before, I will by ANY SYSTEM and whatever else is needed If a Port of DM NExus would be made... Esp for keyboard and mouse.
Sophia wrote: I hope you didn't think I meant that as a "scathing indictment" of you or anyone else here, or anything, because I didn't. I was just citing a general trend that I saw.

First of all, if your primary purpose in playing games is to have fun, then you can't be that close to the dark side. There are people who treat them as more of a competitive sport than a leisure pursuit-- look at "gaming leagues" that are popping up and such. To me this feels like the entirely wrong mentality, but that's just me. :)
oh not at all I figure if notihng else anyone hanging around playing DM mroe then makes up for like a "modern harcore badass gamer".

my time on Everquest(a few months) i had 2 people i knew before signing on and made maybe 6 friends i looked for, no guilds or anything like that.

When I imported Phantasy Star Online PC(original not Blue Burst) I was like 1 of maybe 13 people in america playing. there wasn't really any "guild" we did hang out at the PSO PC gamefaqs board thou. I tohught those people were nice till thw day Farscape got caneled, So i post, "no Farscape caneled"... and like everyone was completely rude. So i said f#$% off.

the other online MMO like games(PSO is MINOR multiplayer Online) like Priston tales Profecy? Lineage i knew no one and just mostly soloed it joining some people. my closest i got to was Jedi Outcast, some dead group called "DEATH" Dr evil and the henchmen or something, very talented core players. both playing and modding. they played nice, had friendly match's with an ally.

I can see a reason for such groups as long as it doesn't go to out of hand.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Sophia? what would you call us then? crazy mob? We all sit here, make dungeons here and have contests of who can beat it first or with the most this or that. Isn't that kinda what they do in those leagues?

I've seen a few requests for co-op versions of DM too..

People bandig together with the game as their common interest. Making friends .. no no.. sounds nothing like here :P

moo
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Heh. We trade on the prospect that DM is a game for intellectuals, and that it doesn't take any wit or thought to smoke someone with a rocket launcher 600 times in a row. (I'm mostly kidding.) Therefore, we are an "elite" class of gamer.

Like Sophia, I have not purchased a console since the SNES — actually, it was a Christmas gift, but I really did want one after playing Mario World — nor have I been remotely inclined. I've found that the types of games I enjoyed when I was younger, those that still dominate consoles today, simply don't appeal to me anymore. Now I'm waiting for Gothic 3.

Exceptions fall with some of Nintendo's party games, like Smash Bros. and Mario Kart Double Dash. I love those games.

I was a huge FPS gamer back in the day, and probably still am to a degree. I really enjoyed F.E.A.R. the first and second times through; it wasn't innovative as far as gameplay, but it was the next Half-life where presentation is concerned, and I really got into. F.E.A.R. is a prime example of how cutting-edge graphics really can enhance one's gaming experience. (You don't get any of those trippy, blurry cut scenes unless you have a PS2.0 card.)

Most Wanted? Played it. Already getting tired of it. You can only run from the cops in the same city for so many hours before you ask, what's the point?

In fact, yesterday I decided to jump on the bandwagon and find out what all this Harry Potter nonsense is about. Already finished the first book; about one-fourth through the second; have the other four waiting restlessly on a shelf. It's a turn from normalcy.

Anyway, gaming doesn't appeal to me like it used to, perhaps because of the goings-on in real life. I'm not really one to speak.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Hey, we are something of a crazy mob, aren't we? :lol:

Seriously, though, it's the whole mentality that gets me. This is a bit of a tangent from the issue with the 360, or modern gaming as a whole-- it's a mindset, one that is not new, but has significantly been bolstered by online play.

Basically, we're a friendly group, here. Our competitions are lighthearted and non-serious, and really, it's all in the spirit of good fun. I hope!

The mentality I see, at least among immature teenagers playing FPS and sports and such games, is that the game has become some sort of test of ones manhood (or womanhood, an increasing number of females are unfortunately being sucked into this maelstrom as well)-- it isn't fun any more, it's some kind of "proving" ground. They become horrendously concieted when they win, enraged when they lose, and basically, the entire thing gets such a cutthroat atmosphere that the whole thing that the game is supposed to be for, the FUN, goes flying out the window.

I guess what I'm saying is they don't band together with the game as their common interest, it's more of their common obsession. Actually, the game isn't even the obsession, winning it is.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

That's interesting. I seem to recall being somewhat like that when I was younger, say right out of high school. I would play Quake online, and if my team was losing particularly badly, I would take the time to curse using the text prompt. It was extremely silly in retrospect, but I know exactly what you're talking about. And you're probably right: there are probably a great many players who invest something in the game — pride, maybe — and expect to make good on that investment.

The last time I played UT2004 online was maybe a few weeks ago, and I did it just for fun. I didn't expect to do well, and if I did, it was a pleasant surprise. No gloating necessary. Even when we lost horribly, the game was still fun . . . but then, UT has always been an excellent game.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Sophia wrote:Saying the words "game creation" gets my interest, though. What kind of games do you like to make? Are you more of a programmer, or an artist, or what? I have tried making a couple simple games; I am pretty good with C/C++ but I don't know anything about 3D.
Well I'm more of a programmer but an unqualified one at the moment. I'm studying Computer Games Development at university so as you can imagine we have a lot of discussions similar to this one. We're mainly being taught 3D programming in DirectX and custom game engines. Can't help feeling I'm on the wrong course sometimes - I'd rather design the games than bloody make them - all that maths :shock:
Sophia wrote:I enjoy the whole process of game design and such... I can design a twisted dungeon, anyway, you know that firsthand. :twisted:
EVIL EVIL EVIL

I'm not sure what it is with UT, it just seems to have that unknown element. It's nowhere near as popular as other online shooters such as CounterStrike but for some reason I could sit on the original UT for hours on end and not get bored. I can't do that with modern games, even UT2k4. Maybe I'm just getting older :?