So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kenshiro
Apprentice

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Kenshiro »

Paul Stevens wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:03 pm Tokyo? Wow. That is a big change.
What kind of living accommodations do you have in Tokyo?
When I was there (decades ago), rent was rather expensive
relative to salary. Only the very rich had private homes.
Sorry for the long response time. Yeah, it's a pretty big change and I was lucky to find a pretty flexible and progressive (by Asian standards) company.

I live in a divided standalone home about 20 mins from Shinjuku on a major trainline, and in the other part of the divided house lives my in-laws and wife's grandma. It's about a 5 minute walk from the nearest station. Houses are pretty expensive but you can a decent two bedroom house in Edogawa for 400k USD or so (maybe 30 mins from central Tokyo). Finding a home under a million in Toronto is rare.
Ameena wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:43 pm Ohh yes, I do recognise the name "Stryker", I think, and I do vaguely remember doing those really bad bandage images for you, lol. Welcome back to the forum :D.
Those bandages were good, and thanks :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

oh_brother wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:34 am My God, I almost cried when I found all these links and pictures to Dungeon Master...it has been so long, but I loved it so much!!!

I don't know what made me think of it again, but seeing the box art and the in-game graphics brought it all back....
So today it is one decade since I first joined these forums. I still remember clearly how it happened. On August 12th 2009 I woke up with Dungeon Master on the brain for some reason, and I did what weirdly I had not done before: I Googled it. I expected to get some pictures and maybe some stories, but I never expected to find a place like this. It was quite emotional!

And it was a very open and friendly group. Logging on and chatting was always a pleasure. Replaying Dungeon Master with CSBWIn (no load or save times! magic!) was a treat, as was finally beating Chaos Strikes Back. Another highlight was the fantastic D&D game, that quickly spiraled from an initial modest plan into a countless-thread parallel-story time-traveling monster. Thanks to Beo my fellow players for making it truly memorable. Still a bit sad that we did not get to finish Raixel's game, but real-life comes first I guess!

In the last 10 years the forum has changed quite a lot: many of the people who welcomed me are no longer around, and it is a lot quieter. Then again, I am sure we all have changed a lot in those 10 years. I have lived in 6 different houses in three different countries, I have changed jobs 4 times, and most importantly I have completed CSB. A completely different man from the naive 30 year old who showed up here all those years ago. :wink:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah, the DnD game was fun :D. Wuffy and I are still running/playing DnD over on a forum-based website called RPOL (Roleplay Online). It's cool that a bunch of us are still here and have been for so long - you've been here ten years, I've been here sixteen(!) but there are at least a couple of people who were here before that - I'm sure Gambit was, and I think Sophia too? And probably one or two other people out of those still active. And now we have the Discord server too for the occasional bit of chat. It's fairly quiet and most of the new joiners are ones who don't look at the description and join assuming it's a DnD server (as they do here on the forum) but one or two seem to have stuck around even if they've not really said anything much for a while :D.
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

oh_brother wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:36 pm...and most importantly I have completed CSB.
Ack :arrow: I've not done this... BUT this year, for the first time in my life, I not only completed Dungeon Master (with help from CSBWin + the DMWiki) but I also killed the Dragon by only throwing every wooden club I found in the Dungeon into it's face. I have no idea why I did this, but nearly a hundred Trolin would have kindly donated to my bizarre ninja/throw50clubsdownanothercorridoor/lapidation quest.
I enjoyed greatly those DnD days. I think that Ameena is right that people are happy to 'hover' around the forum, without the need to actively participate.
A nice update oh_brother!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Ameena wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:05 pm Wuffy and I are still running/playing DnD over on a forum-based website called RPOL (Roleplay Online).
I checked it out and was tempted to join, but since my last 'short' DnD game involved posting pretty much every day for 2 years I will be more careful this time. :D
ian_scho wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:56 pm I also killed the Dragon by only throwing every wooden club I found in the Dungeon into it's face. I have no idea why I did this, but nearly a hundred Trolin would have kindly donated to my bizarre ninja/throw50clubsdownanothercorridoor/lapidation quest.
This is such a Haynuus thing to do. (As is a post that makes you laugh and also makes you look up an online dictionary).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Haha yeah, forum-based RPGs do tend to last rather longer than tabletop ones, or at least run slower. But at least you don't have to worry about people being free on X day for Y hours at a time all at the same time and all getting to the same location and remembering to bring all their stuff :D.

Post by Vici »

Hello! Not really new here but can't even remember my old account and couldn't find my old posts either!
I'm a comic book artist sorta cartoonist, posted a pic of Wuuf and a Mummy before. Still play the game, especially with the release of the free to play early access Dungeon Master on the Google play store for Android phones. It's buggy as all heck but playable!
I'm constantly going into the dungeon as a one champion campaign, either building up Tiggy, Hissssa, Wuuf, or Gando. Beaten it with Tiggy and Hissssa alone, but I've been getting into the idea of more challenging parties.
The new Google play app is very well done, there are really only six bugs that are an issue. Two of which are game breaking, one of which is game freezing, and yet another simply aggravating. The programmer put an invisible wall not forgot to add a switch event to a wall, and one cannot obtain the plate of lyte on their game. You can see it, but never reach it!

Here are some new spells the programmer put into the classic Dungeon Master so far!
Ya Ew Ku conjures a magic sword that allows for Swing fighter damage
Ya Ew Ros conjures a magic bow that sometimes crashes the game. Not worth trying it
Oh Ew Ros is a priest spell that will only unlock at Arch Master Priest level, though I cannot find it's use or affect on anything so far
Oh Gor Dain is a bolt of clumsy, sapping dexterity from enemies (there's a lot of Gor spells now)
Des Ew Dain is a bolt of silence, very satisfying against beholders!
Zo It Ros is a bizarre wall bouncing fireball that might or might not ricochet back to you, but I love using it on the red Dragon! Very handy for full screen sized foes!
Those are just a few of the new spells! The programmer added no less than 17 spells!
However, it comes at the cost of having lost these spells that were actually quite useful in my opinion.
Invisibility, Fire shield, Magic Shield, Light, Darkness, Magic Footprints.
In addition, leveling up is far too quick, or it feels faster than on the old Atari or even SNES port. Lo master fighter by Level five or six, just seems unusual.
Anyways, give the app some support and feedback, whoever did this obviously loves this game and is trying to introduce it to new players, so I think it's worth your support!!
nico7550
Neophyte

Post by nico7550 »

Hi,

I'm Nico, 42 years old, I start playing RPG with MM3.
And sorry to tell you that but the EOB series is my favorite !

Regarding the new dungeon crawlers like grimrock and brothers, I find them to much clean and bright losing the retro feeling I was looking. In fact I really love the 8/16bit style

I'm here to talk about some of my project and hope to have some help and good remarks.

Have a nice day and I'm glad to be amongs you.

Nico
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hi, welcome to the forum :). So, did you play DM/CSB then? You haven't mentioned those so far but presumably since you've joined the forum dedicated to them you must've played either or both of them at some point and not hated them ;).

Post by Todesengel »

Good Day,

I´m Michael and 38 years Old.
Im a big Fan of Dungeon Master and have about 20 times played it till the End.
CSB only one Time and DM2 10 times.
At the moment i play Fate Gates of Dawn because its legendary as DM and CSB.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Cool, welcome to the forum :). Feel free to reminisce about any silly/funny/weird/stupid things that happened in your DM/CSB days. Have never heard of "Fate Gates of Dawn" but maybe someone around here knows it. There were a lot of such games out around the time of DM, after all :D.

Post by nico7550 »

Ameena wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:44 pm Hi, welcome to the forum :). So, did you play DM/CSB then? You haven't mentioned those so far but presumably since you've joined the forum dedicated to them you must've played either or both of them at some point and not hated them ;).
Sorry for late reply, I never really like the DM series, mostly due to the visual style that doesn't suit the game style from my point of view. That why I prefer the EOB series.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, EotB gets some mention here, but as you can probably imagine from the forum name, we are generally rather more fond of the games put out by FTL back in the day. Don't know if I ever actually played any of the EotB series myself. I feel like I did but don't actually remember any of it. Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the Isham games, which I know I did play :).
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

nico7550 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:35 am
Ameena wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:44 pm Hi, welcome to the forum :). So, did you play DM/CSB then? You haven't mentioned those so far but presumably since you've joined the forum dedicated to them you must've played either or both of them at some point and not hated them ;).
Sorry for late reply, I never really like the DM series, mostly due to the visual style that doesn't suit the game style from my point of view. That why I prefer the EOB series.
Eye of the Beholder was a good game, as well. I believe I played two different EOB games. More outside activity, plus you travel a bit more. The endgame on one of them (I believe) was irritating (kill hag, she becomes a more powerful being, kill that and eventually an invulnerable?). May have the wrong series but you'd know. The one which has a man turn into a dragon at the end? That was fun (if, again, I have the correct series of games. It's been forever, so memory is hazy).

Have you noticed the thread that shows how to download the 3-D version of DM? May be something worth your time. A few oddities/glitches but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

MasterWuuf wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:55 pm The endgame on one of them (I believe) was irritating (kill hag, she becomes a more powerful being, kill that and eventually an invulnerable?). May have the wrong series but you'd know.
LOL! I mean Lands of Lore (which is technically a continuation of EOB engine). You had to figure how to prevent Scotia (the hag) to transform into other creatures, then end the game.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've played Lands of Lore III, but never the first two. It's pretty fun.
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Sphenx wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 am
MasterWuuf wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:55 pm The endgame on one of them (I believe) was irritating (kill hag, she becomes a more powerful being, kill that and eventually an invulnerable?). May have the wrong series but you'd know.
LOL! I mean Lands of Lore (which is technically a continuation of EOB engine). You had to figure how to prevent Scotia (the hag) to transform into other creatures, then end the game.
Lands of Lore, yes. You start out as a 'runt' lizard changeling. Took a long time to get used to the game, but I fell in love with it.
That hag/witch wasn't explained, so my first time through I ended up with an Alien Queen who was invulnerable. Figured it out and was thankful I had a previous save.
"Wuuf's big brother"
SSShakuras
Neophyte

Post by SSShakuras »

Greetings,

I'm SSShakuras, 35 years old, been playing Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back since years on my Atari ST.
The first I've managed to clear up during my youth, the second.... not so much to the point of having never even managed to get one piece of Corbum.

it's only this year after finding this website and CSBWin that i've managed to clear it for the first time, mostly thanks to this great map which helped a lot with several area I had no idea how to deal with.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

35 years old? Then you have time to discover a lot more about CSB.
Try the CSBWin alternate goal of collecting every object and killing
every monster. Then you can be called an expert.

Level 0. Oh boy. So may ways to attack it. It is like a fractal: alternate
possibilities on several scales. What a marvelous design.
Which way did you take?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Cool, welcome to the forum :). Gratz on your first completion of CSB :D.
Neophyte

Post by SSShakuras »

@Paul Stevens
Yeah, there are probably a few thing to discover. prior to seeing that map, for exemple, i was unaware of the Vorpal blade available in the Supply for the quick area, for exemple.

...how do you complete that challenge ? filling the inventory with chest containing the items ? and how can you kill everything where there are so many mob spawner ?

I explored level 0 coming from Ku first. Getting though the demon chamber was a complete mess, and i thanks my two eye of time for making it.
the three remaining corbum i brought together after that.

@Ameena
Thanks =)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

SSShakuras wrote:...how do you complete ... how can you kill everything
Ah. That is what you must learn. There is a LOT to learn. But, once learned,
it is simply tedious, not difficult.

All the items must be placed in the room with the fountain. Where you return to re-enter
the junction. And avoid stepping on spawner triggers.

Can someone answer: What is the proper name of that room?
SSShakuras
Neophyte

Post by SSShakuras »

...... I think I'll satisfy myself with being able to complete the game with just one character, that should be challenging enough for me.

as for the fountain room, do you mean the one close to the entrance of the DDD or the one close to the teleporter that bring to the Way Junction ?

unrelated questions : is there a point casting Oh Kath Ra instead of Ful Ir ?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Level 5 near (18,27)
There is a sign on the wall "To the Junction of the Ways".
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ful Ir is Fireball. Oh Kath Ra is Lightning Bolt. Personally I never bother with the latter (I only use a small handful of spells in general, and Fireball is really the only offensive spell I use...well, that and Harm Non-Material Being, where applicable), but apparently it has a physical component to its damage as opposed to Fireball which is purely Fire. So if some monsters are resistant to one, you can use the other. I just stick with Fireball anyway - it's cheaper, for starters :D.
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Try the CSBWin alternate goal of collecting every object and killing
every monster. Then you can be called an expert.
Intriguing. I shall give this a go.
mancini
Novice

Post by mancini »

Hello, I accidentally found this game when searching for a role-playing game. I like to know about the game and its history
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

mancini wrote:I like to know about the game and its history
Have you found:
http://dmweb.free.fr/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heya, welcome to the forum :D. The Encyclopaedia, linked by Paul Stevens above, is probably the best souce of info on anything DM, but if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :D. We also have a Discord server over at https://discord.gg/2T8CSCR if you want to chat live. It's pretty quiet over there but the same is true here as well - most of us long-term fans have largely exhausted most DM-related conversational topics so we just kind of lurk around waiting for people who join here for DM and not because they failed to properly read the description and joined thinking this is a DnD forum ;).

Post by makeplayhappy »

Hi everyone,

I'm 43 live in Devon in South West UK. I work as a web programmer (PHP/JS) and occasionally try and make video games (www.makeplayhappy.com).

I registered here after I miraculously managed to compile CSBWin on my Mac (things like that don't normally work for me) so I could share the binary incase anyone wanted to play it on their Macs too.

I used to play Dungeon Master and Chaos in the early 90s on my trusty Atari ST, stolen in '96 in a burglary when I was at Uni at Birmingham, just after upgrading it with a hard drive to run Cubase!

I have some nagging desire to play Fantasy RPG, ever since getting hooked on Dungeon Master 30 years ago, which in turn has led me into getting reasonably caught up in some modern ones like Dark Souls and Bloodborne, which seem to scratch the same itch. I keep thinking about making a proper fantasy RPG myself, but after making a few "simple" games I fear the size of the task.

later