Party management in RTC... and a graphics question.

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Babe Bridou
Journeyman

Party management in RTC... and a graphics question.

Post by Babe Bridou »

1)...is it possible to "put a character back into a mirror"?

Would that be possible in some fairly near future? Would a box of chocolates help that kind of features?

I'm currently working on a "rescue the prisoners" dungeon, one which would require some amount of party management. The only method I've found so far is to mention explicitly in the documentation that the starting party should be of 3 characters or less if the player expects to fulfill at least part of his mission, but it would be great if, much like "save points", there could be "party management points" with spare mirrors and all...

2) According to my initial idea, part of this adventure will take place in a garden and on a balcony. Also, a climactic fight will happen on rooftop of a watchtower, and another in a dining room with a very high ceiling. I know you can only have one wallset per level, but is there a way to do something which could at least graphically simulate those places? These would be very unique sections of the dungeon, which otherwise will be very dm-like (project name is "Five Miles Under"), and I'd like to know how those could be done; the main problem is, for example on the balcony, on your left you would have the exterior and a view of the outside, and on your right you would have the walls of the building...

Thanks in advance, merry christmas to all (a bit late) and happy new year (a bit in advance) !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

there could be thigns you could do with wall and floor decorations i would imagine...
Babe Bridou
Journeyman

Post by Babe Bridou »

yes, that's how I first tried to do it... or wall items.

I first tried to use a different gfx with the "outside" wallitem, then by cloning the item, but it seems this specific object doesn't accept more than one "facing" (no sideview). I then tried to clone the "movable wall" flooritem, but it seems very, very buggy so far.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to txt editing, so I don't really know what kind of stuff are just hardcoded in RTCedit, and what are true limits of the RTC engine.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Movable walls and other special dungeon mechanics like that aren't designed to be cloned so I'm not surprised you are getting bugs.

I tried doing a balcony in CSBWin using wall items but a nasty rendering bug made it look silly. However, there should be no such problems in RTC -- you just need to be clever about how you design the side and front views of wall decorations (it must fill the viewport to be convincing).

Here's what I did for CSB Win, it should give you some clues:

Image Image Image

I'm not sure how full-viewport-size waldecorations will affect RTCs object handling and the like. You'll need to experiment.
Babe Bridou
Journeyman

Post by Babe Bridou »

It looks just great - I wish I could draw that kind of stuff. (are those statuettes the "patch statuettes" from Diablo2? ;) )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

'Draw' is a bit of a loose term for those images -- the only thing I drew were the walls, everything else is from other places -- the statues are from the original Heretic.
Inanity
Craftsman

Re: Party management in RTC... and a graphics question.

Post by Inanity »

Babe Bridou wrote:1)...is it possible to "put a character back into a mirror"?
I didn't see an obvious answer to this - it looks like it was planned for a future release... any news? 'Twould be a great feature...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

As an update to this, yes, you can now put characters back into mirrors... :)
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

really? is there an example map of this being done? does the dropped hero's inventory stay with them as they go back to the mirror? this would be quite cool.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't think there's an example map in the distribution, but I have a test dungeon GG sent me if you want to check it out -- I'm sure he won't mind.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Go for it!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's here:

http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/rtc/mirror.txt

It was made for 0.47, so the editor might complain the first time you load it up, but if you then save and reload, it'll sort itself out and you can TEST or COMPILE it.
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

ok thanks guys. its easier than i thought to accomplish this, lol. and i found that when removing back to a mirror, they drop all of their inventory on the floor first.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There are two actions -- one that keeps the inventory assigned to the player. Have an investigate... :)
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

aha! found it. :oops: