Playing the characters of DM in CSB?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Dark Wing

Playing the characters of DM in CSB?

Post by Dark Wing »

well, I don't remember where exactly I have seen that in the Encyclopedia, but as far I can remember, one can use the pictures of his characters of DM if he ended the game, in CSB. My question is do these characters need to be resurrected (same names etc), or could they be simply reincarnated, to still allow that very thing in CSB. Oh and also I have seen much higher Health or Stamina for the CSB beginning characters while reading a bit, could it be possible that the earned stats of the DM characters keep the same, or are they updated for the balance sake, and if it's the case I would be curious to know how.
Thanks, great site here, for a great great game a while back. :-)
Dark Wing

Post by Dark Wing »

Okay after finding again what I have seen (i.e. in the "screenshots"), and went looked into the CSB manual although I don't want to play the game yet but if ever want to stick to DM, it is the portraits that can (could) be edited, and in the options offered, it's possible to use the portraits of the old characters of DM or use these with a more experienced feel sawn in the screenshots of http://DWweb.free.fr. No need of more explanations I think. If you feel addying something though, feel free to post. Ala "bonne franquette". ;-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

For CSB there was an import feature - what happens is you either a) create a mini saved game from the CSB prison with characters, or b) take a normal DM saved game
The rules for CSB reincarnate are slightly harsher, but otherwise there is no balance - what you have in your saved game is then directly ported into the main CSB dungeon

In the original CSB the utility there allowed you to alter the name and drawing of the character, and there was also 'enhanced' DM portraits that were usuable

CSBwin doens't yet fully use this feature - you can only import your normal party, no editing of picture/name.
RTC has a different import method, this only allows for altering portraits.
Dark Wing

Post by Dark Wing »

Thanks again for the help beowuuf. I realize that there are some more web-sites with DMweb.free.fr since I discover more and more these forums and the original site I initially come from.

I am not sure I have understood right
The rules for CSB reincarnate are slightly harsher, but otherwise there is no balance - what you have in your saved game is then directly ported into the main CSB dungeon
are you saying that it's then allowed to come with the full DM characters, but if they were reincarnated and not resurrected, there would be a drawback or something? Probably I was not clear enough in the original post.
CSBwin doens't yet fully use this feature - you can only import your normal party, no editing of picture/name.
RTC has a different import method, this only allows for altering portraits.
I am not sure I see what is CSBwin, CSB usable in windows -> the CSB of Paul R. Stevens? As for RTC, what is it exactly? - no need of details really.

If ever, I would like to play to the closest DM and CSB games originally released by FTL; the only thing I might want to edit is the save file to get some more.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you can have full DM characters, whether they were ressurected or reincarnated in DM, archmaster everything if you like, and there is no penalty - though you might find CSB combat easy!
The only penalty is if you reincarnate CSB characters from the CSB prison - their stats gets halved

CSBwin is indded the CSB of Paul's, it's the original atari code, converted by Paul - some area he didn't finish converting fully, like the CSB character editor. It's now much more, but that is what it is

RTC is Return to Chaos, and is a completely new engine built from scratch to mimic DM and CSB

To be closest, therefore, you need to play CSBwin - just be aware that you cannot edit the portraits and names. You can, as far as I know, play DM under CSBwin, then simply import that saved game into the CSB game to have the same characters follow to CSB
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

@Dark Wing : When you import your dm-champions, that are somewhat weaker than their csb counterparts in respect to mana and health at reincarnation,
you should give them items that increase stats.
(e.g. mace of order , jewel symal, and staff of manar, crown of wisdom, moonstone.....)

When "making a new game" in csb, you should then still get the statincrease of the items, which are ereased.
This way you can improve the dm champions´ starting stats retroactively to match the ones form csb ...

No guarantee that this works for csbwin!!
Dark Wing

Post by Dark Wing »

well thanks, nice to see that there's thus indeed the full option to play with our lovely DM characters in CSB! Bravo for Paul R. Stevens for his CSBwin and any other programmers who make the DM adventure possible again.

zoooom, thanks for yout tip if it works, it’s not that I don’t want to prevent any surprise such as coming short in CSB thereafter, but I am gonna train in DM anyway, as in these kind of games it's generally necessary unless you escape some monsters, what I don't want if possible, I would like to go in absolutely every place of the dungeon and still stay alive! I have to be extremely careful on my choices since the beginning as I know that there're somewhere uncountless demons for example, gonna get the record of the slowest party ever after that LOL.

Thanks again to both of you, bye folks see you soon.
Pietrus

Dm characters in CSB (WITH RTC)

Post by Pietrus »

I don't undestand exactly,
could you explain me again.

I am playing DM (RTC)...

When I'll finish it I would like to use my characters in CSB (RTC)

It is possible ?
how can I do it ?

thanks,
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It is fantastically easy in RTC

You select CSB to play. You then click on the scroll bottom right of the dungeon screen. Select 'make new adventure' and choose the characters you wish to play with from all your saved games
Logales
Novice

Post by Logales »

So in CSB adapted by Paul Stevens all you have to do is put your save file from the DM game to the CSB folder ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yep, as long as it is the saved game from DM played under CSBwin
nikki sixx 215
Novice

Post by nikki sixx 215 »

Sorry to be painfully annoying, can someone please tell me how to take my DMwin players into CSB please... step by step, imagine you're talking to someone who has never used a computer before in their life. I really want to do it.

Thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

How are playing these? I will assume you are playing by clicking on the 'atari-dm' 'atari-csb' etc excecutables If you go into the modules folder you will see a dm and csb folder. You take the 'csbsave.dat' saved game from one folder and put it into the other

Now start the game with 'atari-csb'. Click on the 'utilities' button. On the screen showinga character, all you do is click 'make new adventure' then click on the correctly named csbsave slot. It should take you dm characters and put then into a new csb game using this saved game slot

You will need to then shut down the p[rogramme, restart it. and this time go to the same start screen. Using 'resume' not 'prison' and click on the saved game slot. Hopefully your DM guys will be stuck unclothed in a room with worms!