Recent posts and users have gone missing

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Recent posts and users have gone missing

Post by iUSTINE »

What's happened to my posts in 'Lands of lore topic' ? They are gone... :cry:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

did you actually post? perhaps you lost your connection after you hit send and it was never posted? When was it you posted this?
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

About 2 day ago... 2 my posts and 1 post of Gambit are missing.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmm, yeah, you're right. How odd. I wonder if any others have gone missing? I haven't done any maintenance so I don't know what's up with that. The forums have been a bit quirky for me; connections are often lost or unresolved. But that shouldn't affect data in the database. Weird.

EDIT: It looks like everything from the last three days has gone missing. There were posts in DM about finding a copy of Amiga DM, and plenty of new posts in CSBWin discussing new wall sets per level. This would only happen if there was a problem with the database and the host restored an earlier one. Can you find out what happened Cow?

I do take forum backups on a regular basis, but the most recent one I have is 7 June. Probably wouldn't help to restore that one.

EDIT2: Definitely an older version. Earlier we today we had 493 users and the most recent new user was Tristian. It's gone back down to 490 and the newest user is bombjack.

EDIT3: Bandwidth usage has been reset and has gone back down to 10MB -- it was 226 earlier today.

There's been a serious crash somewhere and the host has obviously reset the site and rolled back to an earlier backup. Have you been informed about this Cow?

EDIT4: Just checked the database backup that I have. We would only get back a couple of posts at the end of Linflas' thread about the new floor graphics in RTC. Not really worth it.

The last two days of posts have gone, vanished, finito, *poof*. Unless you can get them back Cow, which I doubt, we'll just have to live with it. An explanation from the hosts would be nice though. Perhaps this is even more incentive to move?

Heh, sometimes it's possible to get stuff back from Google's cache, but since I added robots.txt it doesn't index the pages any more. So that's not a possibility. Oh well, can't have it all ways I guess.
Diriyando_

Post by Diriyando_ »

Sorry, Im not logged in now... There were plenty problems with this site in the last weeks, I Know this because im an avatar from here in another forum and sometimes it cloudnd't be seen. Are there any problems with ther server or anything like that?

And IN DM there was a thread about killing the Dragon just with Daggers, its also away
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Do you mean you use an avatar from here on another forum? That's doesn't work any more: it's been disabled because it steals our bandwidth. If you want to use one of the avatars elsewhere, you must save a copy and upload it somewhere else.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, they just switched servers and put us on a quad Xeon server.. nice and fast.. however the suspicion is that when they did so they ran the back up from while they were building them on the new server. And that's aproximately 3 days ago.. so seems to stand up in theory.. which they had actually used brains though and concidered the idea that someone might have frequent incomming Data (ie a forum) or god forbid.. order forms which people have made payments on products.. :shock:

anyway..
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

so we lost 3 days of data... cows, could you post desert3.jpg again ?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

We even lost the users who subscribed during the last 3 days!!! Whoever did this, it's a mess and shouldn't be allowed without at least a complaint to the provider!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm reasonably certain it was an old back up they used on their new sever.. one about 3days old.. because EVERYTHING done to the site.. files uploaded.. files deleted.. posts made.. users who registered and as Gambit mentioned all the stats for usage etc all rolled back a few days.

What a bunch of morons.. well everything lost is a matter of only nuicance I guess.. As long as it doesn't happen again..

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

on the plus side i feel three days younger
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just a quick aside: DMJump has also disappeared; I'm getting a 403 Forbbiden message.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeah, i was late paying the renewal, so there will be a short period of it coming back-ness!
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Wow I can't believe I didn't notice that.....I better pay more attention to my post then..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

quicklinks back? intended?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

They never went away. I just changed the way they worked. If they were missing at all, then you probably had javascript turned off.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

oh went back and actually *read* what you did to them.. I just assumed they were removed to the mainpage of the site and no longer withing the forum so I guess I never noticed them still here all that time.

they probably were there the whole time though...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This forum is very screwy at the moment.

1) We have been losing some posts (I posted two replies this morning that have since disappeared)

2) Problems with the database -- couldn't get to the forums at all a while ago

3) Reliability is poor -- the site often seems to be down for hours at a time. I get timeout errors, DNS errors, and all sorts of similar problems -- seems to be quite random

I am going to start taking daily backups... but I might run out of disk space!

It seems like there may have been maintenace work going on -- it would be nice if the provider would actually tell people before it happens! Simple courtesy for a start....

Any more thoughts on moving Cow?
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Hello, just a little interfering...
I can only confirm.

to 1) we all know, happened
to 2) yep, the starting screen would be shown, but you couldnot enter the forum. Been 3 weeks since that happened to me the last time
to 3) certainly true, could not connect to the forum at around 2 o´clock in the afternoon CET lately.

What possibilities are there for moving if it is an option at all?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i haven't noticed 2 ansd 3 recently, but i've noticed 1 at least twice myself
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, I've not noticed this myself at all.. not sure why. I'll look a little more seriously at moving it all out I guess... see what can be done.

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

as if to prove the point i couldn't get on for the last thirty minutes!