One character

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Big-J-Q
Adept

One character

Post by Big-J-Q »

Somebody discussed playing DM with one character, but has anyone ever completed (or even tried) CSB with only one champion?
anita ajilon

Re: One character

Post by anita ajilon »

I was playing Chaos for like 2 years and I finally decided I was going to beat it. Well lo and behold, I was with my bf in a store and I saw the ADVENTUERES HANDBOOK for CSB! Well we bought it and on the way home in the car, I was reading it and I discovered what I was supposed to be doing! I had no idea about Corumbs or anything! I was just marching around fighting everything! Anyway, I wish they would make this for PC so I can play it again at work or something ;).

ciao

OH I forgot! I read in the Adventurers Handbook that this fellow who wrote it had won the game with just 1 character! How? I have no clue! Took me many many many saves and stuff and copies of saves and renames of saves etc...to win that sucker ;).

But i did!

now... ciao ;).
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

CSB for Windows works just fine on a Windows machine. Many
people have written to say that they finished it without
problems.

I have won many times with a single character. The latest
was with Petal. It really is not very difficult once you
know your way around. I have had to play it so many times
while writing the the program taht I pretty much know all
the tricks. (The Muncher room takes me several tries with a
single character so I avoid it).

PAull prsteven@facstaff.wisc.edu
chris_alpha_gamma

Post by chris_alpha_gamma »

About the muncher room,
As you have problems, I suppose your vermine exterminator is yellow, in fire, and makes a lot of noise when exploding.
You should try poison clouds.
It's really efficent.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

You are quite right.

I learned about poison clouds while watching Guillaume Basttard's
record-setting speed recordings. Since I wrote the previous note
I also discovered that the clouds are very helpful in getting a monster
to retreat. For example, if I get cornered by two dogs (whatever they
are called), I can get one to back up a step and I can escape. A lifesaver
with one character who is ill-prepared for the journey. I had never used
the Ven Bombs before.

This game is full of new tricks even after all these months.

PAul
prsteven@facstaff.wisc.edu
HJP

Post by HJP »

Search really works. I will try this personally. Just completed DM with one champion and now I'm playing DM Java with one champion and maximum difficulty level.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Wow, I bet you had to blow the dust of this topic!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No one has respect for the dead topics anymore!

I imagine DM Java with one character to be...interesting...
HJP

Post by HJP »

I know this topic was "dead" but in most forums I have used people point out, that "hey, there is already a topic from this subject". Even if it is several years old.

Then everybody says, that "you should use search" and stuff...

I used search this time.

If I would add new topic you would have said, that I should have used search because there was an older topic from this subject.

Kind a hard or what :) ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't get me wrong, someone using the serach function to find old topics is very cool - as you will find out, we tend to be sarcastic - and yes, complain for the fun of it *you would ahve exactly got that reply if the topic was new*

*can't beleive he ressurected a dead topic, tut*
HJP

Post by HJP »

Ok, no problems.

Currently I'm at level 5 on DM Java using 1 champion and maximum difficulty. So far I have "trained" several hours. I have to because currently I only have 2 or 3 flasks and so I cannot make huge potion reserve as on original DM. Also it took some time to learn Cure Poison potion-spell well enough and so on.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, nice going! I remember it being really hard to gain levels, and with the occasional regenerating monster, etc having good levels helped you as you ventured deeper to nflict more damage

Also, things like stamina affecting your health when it becomes the last 10 or so points, and poison needing lots of potiosn to cure never helped either! Have fun with it
HJP

Post by HJP »

Well, when you use just one character, your food and water consumpition is very small. So you can ( And you have to ) train very long on first level. I have some challenge to kill 2 giant rats if I don't just blast them with fireball's. Close combat is hard, because on original DM Chop has Fatigue of 8 and on DM java ( Using Axe ) it has 14 ( Named as "speed", I think this means the same ).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I don't train, so playing DMJ to where I left it was a nightmare! I encountered ademon with health regenand couldn't fire off throwing weaposn and fireballs fast enough. Was stuck, never got back int oit to go through to the higher levels

I found that the staminas thing annoyed me, simply because I waas used to still fighting to the last stamina, and instead I had to gauge how low stamina was getting % wise per character!

I assume you know there is a huge DMJ forum aswell? For later levels you might need it and that ability to search through tons of posts : )

Post by Guest »

I see :)=

That game is designed so that training is almost a "must". I know that forum yes, so far no need to use it. I was quite surprised that Poison Cloud is very weak. I have to retest it. It seems that 5 clouds do not inflict 5 times damage of one cloud like on DM. But well, I'll try with casting some 6.th level clouds...
HJP

Post by HJP »

After testing, this is not the case. When casting multiple clouds you lose same amount of energy but at faster rate. On DM a you lose more energy but at same rate if sitting in multiple clouds if I remember right.

Now I'm going to kill some Dragons.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Haven't busted your chops in this thread, so needed to do something - for the sack of bandwidth and scrolling, bess not to blockquote the previous post. Removed them : )

Yeah, i knew poison cloud was diffferent, couldn't remember how - I believe that poison cloud is a brilliant attack in certain circumstances later on in places you wouldn't expect. Have fun with the dragons!
_HJP

Post by _HJP »

beowuuf wrote:Damn quotes

I see :)=

Well, I don't. Some time ago I swapped this game to my friend. And he said that there are dragons at level *****. Scroll says that there are, but I need 3 keys and they must be somewhere much deeper...

I'm gonna register immediately, so I can reserve this nick.
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

im suprised i never posted on this topic, as im always going around dungeons with just one char anyway, but ya, ive most definately, on all official DM dungeons as well as a couple of custom made ones
Immortal Dungeoneer.