Kid Dungeon

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Marco

Kid Dungeon

Post by Marco »

Excellent website here. I thought I'd point out a little known fact about Dungeon Master: the Apple IIGS version also included a bonus "Kid Dungeon." Unless you have the docs from the original IIGS version, you'd never know about it. It was accessed by holding down one of the function keys while clicking on the "enter" button to enter the dungeon.

The kid dungeon only had 3 levels. You meet are a couple Gigglers, Mummies, Screamers, Rockpiles, and a very watered-down Dragon. There was lots of treasure, including items you can't find in the main game, such as the Dexhelm, Powertowers, and the Conduit wand. You may have noticed that on this webpage, these items are marked with notes next to them saying you can only acquire them by cheating.

As far as I know, only the Apple version of Dungeon Master has the Kid Dungeon. I have not been able to access it in the PC or Amiga versions (don't know about the Atari ST). While I no longer have my IIGS, I have been able to find disc images of the Apple version and play the kid dungeon. Accessing it is complicated, but I've been able to walk people through it. If anyone is interested, let me know. The only problem is I don't know where to find the disk image for the GS version anymore - the website I used shut down a while ago. It shouldn't be too hard to locate, though.

Marco.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

RE: Kid Dungeon

Post by ChristopheF »

The IIGS version of DM is available on this site.
Could you give details about how to access this dungeon ?
I saw once on another message board that this kid dungeon is also available in the original Amiga version of DM (not the v3.60 available on the site).

Christophe
Slick

RE: Kid Dungeon

Post by Slick »

1. The kids dungeon wasn't mentioned anywhere in the manuel, but on a separate sheet included with the game.

2. To enter the kids dungeon, you hold down the OPTION key (also known as solid apple) while clicking on "Enter" and keep holding it down until the game starts loading from the disk.

BTW, where is the dexhelm? I only found the powertowers and the conduit. Never the dexhelm. Also, I never got any options besides "swing" with the staff of mana or the conduit.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: Kid Dungeon

Post by Lunever »

Does anyone know whether these Kid-Level truly only exists for Apple or whether it merely has to be accessed in a different way for other versions?
What happens when you finish that kid level, by the way?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The Kid Dungeon instructions insert that comes with the Apple version does tell you how to get into the dungeon on Apple, Amiga and Atari ST. Perhaps it was possible on early versions for the ST and Amiga, but it's not possible now.

There is no real ending in the Kid dungeon. When you kill the dragon, he leaves behind a scroll stating that 'The people are happy. The evil dragon has been killed', but there is no proper ending. The whole point of the Kid dungeon is that it's a training ground for kids.... there are no spells in there either.

I don't agree that it's complicated to get into it. Just read the instructions on this site.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

So how were not only apple users but amiga and ST-Users supposed to enter the kids dungeon (might see, if I maybe had one of those older versions)?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Someone once told me by email that he clearly remembered a "hidden dungeon" in DM Amiga, but he did not remember how to enter it nor which version of DM he used.
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

*sighs* I think I have version 1.0 or 1.2 of Dungeon Master for the Atari ST sitting upstairs (ST disk). Don't think it works on an emulator though.