Mozilla Firebird

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Mozilla Firebird

Post by Gambit37 »

I've just switched to Mozilla Firebird 0.7 as my default browser, and I really like it. Small, non-bloated, fast, elegant, simple, efficient and almost infinitely extendable.

As a web developer, I've always had a whole bunch of browsers installed for testing purposes, but for some reason my surfing has always been done using IE (first 4, then 5, now 6). I've become more and more frustrated with IE, especially as it's caching it's utterly bollocks, and in an effort to find a better browser, I really took the time to properly use all those test browsers I installed.

It wasn't until I went to upgrade Mozilla, that I found the Firebird link -- one quick download later, and I was hooked. It's not as pretty as some browsers, and many of the skins available don't work with the current version, but it quite simply pisses all over Internet Explorer (excuse the language, but it really does!). The PNH extension is fantastic for webdevelopers -- it adds a toolbar that allows you to do all kinds of fancy stuff from showing/highlighting page elements to showing cookie values for the current page. It does have a few problems (such as the fact you can't easily switch between sidebars), but for a 0.7 version, is pretty damn good.

Anybody else tried it, or have similar stories about their browser choice?
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i wanted to switch to mozilla, but found it awfully slow on my machine (500 mhz :/) so im using crazy browser as a frontend for IE (6.0 with security updates and stuff).
the PNH-stuff sounds nice, but i don't think i could use it in any useful way. maybe i even could, but it would only make me wasting time in playing around with it ;)
i'm no webdesigner at all (maybe some of you remember the dungeon crypt i made once ;)).
see my browser-poll for my hymns to crazy browser ;)
i don't mind or know too much about caching, i delete this very regularly anyways.

ps: don't ask me how these sentences are connected, just wrote down my thoughts. should get sleep maybe (4:37 am^^).
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

I use Opera as my default browser I've used it now for around half a year and it works grate, only find the odd site that doesnt display quite correctly but you let the opera team know and its soon fixed.

Even got my parents using it now also :)
Unlucky_Mule
Novice

Post by Unlucky_Mule »

Firebird totally rocks. I see a bright future for that product.

I am using 0.6.1 now because for some reason 0.7 is slow to draw on my newly upgraded machine. I think it has to do with me running on an old PCI video card, which will soon be replaced. The strange thing is that 0.6.1 is fast.

UM