Ghosts are not immune to fireballs

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zyx
DSA Master

Ghosts are not immune to fireballs

Post by Zyx »

I noticed that when shooting a fireball at a ghost against a wall (so it explodes in the same tile): the ghost took some damage! (something like 3% of the normal damage...)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How on earth did you work that out? I expect it's only possible using DMUTE and checking the hit points of the ghost before and after you've used the fireball??? Or is this just theory?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I just forgot to change the hit points of a ghost in one of my dungeons. It surprised me, so I threw the fireball I had already prepared, in order to prepare a des ew spell...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

What I meant was how did you work out it's 3% of normal damage? Is that scientific, or just a guess?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Using Dmute, I noticed the ghost lost 10hp from fireballs that did more o less 300 to my party, and 30hp from fireballs of 1000 of damage... But I didn't do an exhaustive research, though.