Solid Key in KU

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Solid Key in KU

Post by andyboy_uk »

Right, I have played and completed CSB a few years back (well about 10 years or something like it - back on the Amiga) but Im replaying it in RTC.

Im trying to find the Solid Key on the KU path and according to the walkthru it should be with a dragon somewhere.

Ive killed the dragon under the DDD in KU, and Ive already been thru the dragon den room and killed another three or four in there.

no sign of the key.

Im at the dragon under the DDD at the moment where the pad opens the wall to the dragon lair and there is a gor coin on an alcove behind a door (opened with a gold key - is there any more to that - or is that it).

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The Dragon Den is on the ROS path, so that's no good. You need to go to the Basement on KU and kill Mongor: He's the strongest Dragon in the dungeon and swallowed a poor adventurer whole! If you defeat him, you'll get the adventurer's armour and the solid key that he gained in vain...
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Huh, how did that happen, I didnt go down any of the paths except KU, I must have gone thru one too many teleporter or something (im so confused :shock: :? :x . )

So how do I get to this dragon then. Im gonna kick its ass. Is there an easy way from where I am to get to this bad boy.
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Follow any of the KU paths without fallign throguh pits and teleporters! : ) - you need to go passed the mummy swarm, and past the 'no fireballs' area - beyond all this is the fun that is chasing around Mongor and dodging a few worms! Just keep goign downwards basically : )
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I think I might have killed that dragon already. bugger, now I have to find that key if its down there, there is a room of these dark red worms.

In the no fireballs room, I have killed all the knights, done the vexrix room and the other 2 off there (cant remember now).

Is there any easy way to describe the stairs that lead to this dragon room?

Thanks Gambit & Beowuuf
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Aha! Dark red worms! That's the room you want! They appear all over this level, but if you're in a really big room with the worms, then you should be in the right spot...

Another way into this room is after the Vexirks room. At the back of their room is a fountain, you can walk through the wall to the right of this. On the right hand side of the wall there's a keyhole; pop in an iron key to open the wall in front of you. Then go right through this opening, stright on through the room where the knights were (assuming you've killed them and got the Executioner axe, you can go straight on through a newly opened exit). Pass the pits, turn right at the end and chop your way through the wooden door; right again ands chop again, and right again, and there should be a staircase down to the Mongor, easier still, just drop down one of the pits!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I think I already killed this MONGOR Character (seemed like a bit of a wuss to me... lol) - leads me on to ask how do you know its name? is it on a scroll or a wall somewhere - or in the hint oracle? or in a manual?

That means I have to search that bloody massive room for the key, damn. This could take a while.

Is there a spell for the map to show up items on the floor, or do I have to do it the old fasioned way.

Thanks again,
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You'll have to search the old fashioned way. If you killed him, and didn't take the armour, it'll be with that...

His name is in the Hint Oracle:

H193 - MONGOR
The largest, fiercest Dragon I have sensed inhabits this room. I fear it may be necessary to challenge him.
Mongor has the Solid Key in his possession.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hmm, I dont remember the armor, unless I took it and missed the key. Damn,

either I have a dragon that I need to turn into a handbag or there is a key somewhere in this massive room that I have lost.

Either way, looks like Im in for a bit of fun.

Thanks for you're help Gambit.
Regards,

Andy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

May I just correct Gambit's earlier comment - the Dragon Den isn't on Ros, it's on Ku, after the DDD - you go down the "Trust me" pit, up the stairs, kill the Stone Giant, through the Solid Ky door, past "Dead End", and down the stairs to "Dragon Den".
Ros is the one that starts with the REALLY ANNOYING "Zoooom"-type puzzle thingy.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oops, you're right, my mistake. For "Dragon Den" I was thinking of the dragons in the illusionary wall maze...!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I think I must have killed the dragon already, Ive searched around for him and I cant see him anywhere, there are these dark red worms everywhere (they are generated it seems) but no sign of the key or the dragon.

Any ideas on the best way to locate it. I cant remember where I killed the dragon.

Ta
Regards,

Andy
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

Look carefully, Solid Key is gray and gray key on the gray floor could be easily missed.

I you use my tactics of hit'n'stairs'wait (hit the dragon, go upstairs and wait until you can hit again, go down the stairs and repeat) than you should look near the two stairs that lead to that big room (one could be still closed if you didn't open it from the other side - from the vexirks).
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Thanks matey, I will have another go at this tomorrow as Im out tonight, i havent started any of the other paths yet, Im seriously lagging behind.

I might just have to print out the maps and mark off the squares that I have searched.

Thanks again
Regards,

Andy
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Have a look at the Encyclopaedia maps, the triggers for the worm generators are marked there, so you don't have to step on them anymore.
The search the room systematically, tile by tile. Lift every item like worm rounds, the key might be hidden under one of them. Eat every worm round to clear the room. Should there be any Dragon steak left, this is certainly, where the key is, but probably you didn't leave nutricious steaks behind.
Look closely, the gray-white key does not have much contrast to the gray floor.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You might also look for any of the other items the Dragon dropped -he drops some armour as well, and I think maybe something else which is junk...if you didn't take the armour it should still be where you killed the Dragon, and if you did then perhaps any armour you replaced and ditched should be there...?
Well, his lair is on Level 1 (bottom level - in my guide the levels are numbered up from the bottom), underneath the rest of Ku, as you might expect - Executioner, "No Fireballs", Vexirk room, and that bit with all the wooden doors you can chop down. Obviously it depends which route you've come by as to which section you'll be in, but just go down from there (pit or stairs) and you should find yourself in his lair. First time I went there was a Thief or two as well, one of whom dropped the Lockpicks although this may be one of those random items :) Still, if you can remember killing him and getting them, you were probably in Mr Uber-Dragon's lair :)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I have searched all over and cant find that key. Im tired of looking for it. Any ideas?

Can I "create" it by editing the save game or something?

Ta
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nope, no way to create a new one in the save game. :-(

Have you looked EVERYWHERE. Perhaps a Giggler stole it? Perhaps it's in a chest that you left lying around somewhere?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I will have another look, but im sure that I killed this dragon ages ago and I have no idea where the key has gone.

What is it for anyhow, knowing me I may have laready used it.

:)
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You need it to open the KU door on the DDD level; it's the one after where the Stone Golem comes to life. If you've been through it already, you'll have gone down the Dead End corridor where Deth Knights come after you... have you done that bit?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ive done the Dead End with the knights, I think that is how I got onto the dragon den (and killed all them).. oops , have I already used it then?
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, you've used it already! Phew! I should have realised sooner--when you mentioned the Dragon Den, of course that's after the Dead End!

Why were you even looking for it still? ;)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

The word you are looking for gambit is Muppet.

Thats why.

:oops:
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

LOL! :lol: Not at all; we've all done it! At least you won't waste time still looking for it and can now go and kick Mr.Chaos hairy butt... ;)