May I butt in?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
theadder
Journeyman

May I butt in?

Post by theadder »

Well done, George. RTC is awesome.

You have mentioned a couple of times that making certain things happen only requires changing one bit somewhere (making things stick in a monster, for example). Will these settings be user changable in the final product - if we create our own mud monster, for example, by changing a mummy, we would need to be able to change the definition also so that things could stick in it. Does this make sense?

Also, please people try not to complain about silly things that don't really matter at this stage. Once the game is finished and kicks ass, then we can probably nit pick.
Loading time, for example. Who cares? Windows takes 5 minutes to boot on my PC, but I don't attack it with a broadsword - I just make a cup of tea or something. My first computer was a TI99/4a - we had to wait ten minutes while a 16K program loaded from cassette tape, but we didn't care because the game was fun to play. So it takes 30 seconds to load RTC, but then you play it for hours - is this really something to complain about? I think not.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: May I butt in?

Post by George Gilbert »

> Will these settings be user changable in the
> final product

Absolutely. That sort of thing is set in a text file that is read in during the boot-up sequence. If you have a look at the NewDM /Data folder then you can see the sort of thing the final version will run off. In the monsters.txt file there's a line that gives basic properties about each of the monsters (if I remember correctly, in NewDM there is only the option to specify if the bitmap is symmetric or not) - for RTC there are about 20 properties per monster (movement rates, armour values etc etc) including a flag for if thrown objects stick in it. All you'll have to do is change that...